• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Prince Of Wales Cambridge Street

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
prince of wales..cambridge st i have a feeling this one may have been posted before but just in case....

this pub dates from 1854 and i am happy to say its still open..:)another one i must try and visit...

Attachments

• Ladywood Cambridge St Prince of Wales.jpg
    Ladywood Cambridge St Prince of Wales.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 89
What an interesting row of buildings Lyn. Wonder if the other buildings are still there too. The block next to the pub has undergone some very odd development. Looks like it started life as regency but a weird additional building has been attached to the front on the ground floor. Can't make it out. Maybe the photo was taken at an strange angle. All the same very interesting. Viv.

hi viv....not sure if the other buildings are still there..all the info say is the pub still thrives amonst the busy convention centre..national indoor arena and the rep...

lyn

Lyn
i think part of the photo has been on before (at least i have saved it), but it had been cropped to cut out the building to the right of the girl bending down.
Mike

Yes, the pub is all on its lonesome now. They have free live music every Sunday, mostly jazz and blues, but it's only a small pub and it gets incredibly crowded. My stepson played there last week with The Juke Joint Jammers band.

Big Gee

Whatever we think about modern developments, I expect it's largely down to the ICC that this pub has survived. And it's good to hear it gets very crowded. There's many landlords would be happy with that! :) Viv.

Interesting to see that the pub is still there!

I used to go in occasionally in the late 70's, it was very near where the club Barbarellas used to be. It was a proper old fashioned pub with a tiny room in the back, very spartan with a wooden floor.

Whatever we think about modern developments, I expect it's largely down to the ICC that this pub has survived. And it's good to hear it gets very crowded. There's many landlords would be happy with that! :) Viv.
Vivienne one of the factors to the survival of the pub was at the time of redevelopment it was said that it was the local for Bob Willis,a cricketer for Warwick ,i lived in the one of the block of flats opposite and i can tell you that the redevelopment of the area was a nighmare for the tenants in the 4 blocks along Cambridge Street

hi edd
yes that as always been a cracking little pub ever since i knew it and i have to say ;to hear and see it and redelveloped and still standing is great
way back in the early fities and the late fiftiesthe newbys family ran it for years and the son was my friend from scholl days as well; they left there around the
late fifties and moved to a bigger pub hotel on the orner of victoria rd aston and upper sutton street afew doors from the victoria rd post office
it was a very large pub in deed with lots of rooms above the property which as it was called the queens hotel i would have said at one time in he 1800s that what it was
an inn and for people stayng there they also had at there time of running the pub lived in a little house down the rd in edward rd which was by the ICC centre today
and where the old lryic picture house was the old three penny crush in he mornig mattnee
after leaving the queens hotel on victoria rd they moved back to the area into spring hill and ran the turf pub oppersite spring hill libary
whilst on the subject of pubs that could be a good find for our lynn ; to get her teeth into for us all ;as lynn is like myself along with phil of course into pubs
history that would be great if she could find those two pubs all with history especialy the queens hotel thats been there since the 1800s but of course it been disapeared for many a year now have a nice day guys astonian alan

hi alan...ive added the queens hotel to my list of pics to look for although i will search the forum first and phil may have a pic of it....i think there is a pic of the turf pub on the forum so i will go and have a look for you...

lyn

Astonian

Are you sure the Queens Hotel was on the corner of Upper Sutton St, because the result I get is the Victoria Park Inn for the junction of Victoria Rd and Upper Sutton St (see photo).

There was a Queens Arms further up the road at the junction of Park Rd which I don't have a photo of. The only Queens Hotel I can find in the area was in Queens Rs attached to Atkinson's Brewery at the junction of Church Lane (see photo).

There is a photo of the Turf somewhere on the forum opposite the library at Spring Hill i know because I uploaded it. It's at post No#61 here,

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=34394&highlight=turf

Phil

AstonQueensHotelAstonQueensRd.jpg

AstonVictoriaParkInnAstonUpperSuttonSt.jpg

Phil, you are right about Queens Rd, I lived with my Nan at 84 Queens Rd in the '40s and that was her 'local' corner of Queens Rd and Church Lane. There was a pub further up corner of Queens Rd and Park Rd called the Avenue Hotel (I think), the Queens Hotel was also known locally as the 'top Queens' suggesting there was another pub of similar name lower down but I cannot remember it unless it was maybe destroyed in the blitz as a land mine did destroy the bottom of the road, Incidently I was born in Queens Rd in 1930 in a house belonging to Atkinsons brewery, 1/89 I think opposite our Nans house. Eric

Cookie

There was the Queens Tavern at 27 Queen St, you would know what end of the street that was better than I.

Phil

Phil, are you getting Queen Street and Queens Road mixed up? There is a Queen Street, off 278 Highgate Road, Sparkbrook, Birmingham.12. The Queens Road Eric mentions is in Aston.

paulyx, although I lived in queens Rd 1930-35 and 1942-48, when I entered the RAF, I always got mixed up with Church Lane and Church Rd, I think they joined each other. Eric

sorry cookie, the queens was on the corner of queens rd and church LANE, and yes they did join up further on at the junction with sycamore rd.

Phil, are you getting Queen Street and Queens Road mixed up? There is a Queen Street, off 278 Highgate Road, Sparkbrook, Birmingham.12. The Queens Road Eric mentions is in Aston.

sylviasayers

Thanks for your input, but I lived part of my early life five minutes walk from the Queens on the corner of Queen St and Highgate Rd which was just on the opposite corner to the old bus depot. Both the Queens that I mention were in Queen St Aston prior to WWII, I hope this clears things up.

Phil

Hi Phil, thanks for your post, I had never heard of a Queen Street before I looked it up yesterday, I used to work at Atkinsons Brewery, in Queens ROAD and so passed the pub every day. Next door to the pub in Church Lane was the Atkinsons Social Club.

Sylvia, I spent 3 periods in Aston 1930-35 (Queens Rd), 1943-48 (Queens Rd) and finally 1956-62 (Vicarage Rd) and I have never heard of Queens St, whereabouts is it, or was it ??? Have perused my A to Z and no mention there. Eric

Last edited:
Yes ok please accept my apologies I was saying Queen St when I should have been saying Queen's Rd which apart from being different names are on the opposite sides of Birmingham, but I would have thought that as it was Aston we were discussing that Queen's Rd was the location I was making the point about. I will endevour to make myself clearer in future.

Phil

Hi guys
thanks for looking and putting me corect as i have not been myself of just late i do know that it was an ackinson house brewery as you sad
its got the royal bit of the name and combined with the queens head on the corner of victori rd and upper thomas st
nd victoria rd i must have boggled my brain [ whas left ] jokeing ; i have not lost the plott yet so i will not be carted of with the men in white coats to rubery ; and as i lived at victoria rd at two houses over the years i do know the pubs i have mentioned
and as i lived across the road on victoria rd yards from the white swan and the queens head many years ago further down on victoria ;
any way guys phil and lynn thanks again for my memory loss ha; ha
best wishes to every one on the forum alan astonian

Astoness, would you know what year the first pic you posted of the Prince of Wales pub was?

A member of my family who lived in Sheepcote Street won a cup there years ago!

I'm trying to learn a little but about the pub if I can, thanks.

looking at the way the children and ladies are dressed i would guess the 50s/60s..i have been in it recently and its lovely inside

lyn

Last edited:
Thanks Lyn, I did wonder what it was like, I'm hoping to go in there soon when paying a visit to the library.

When I'm there, I will get a photo from the same angle as the pic and it can go onto the site. I'm also hoping to get a pic of the trophy that Arthur Strawbridge won (year not known).

thats a good idea kat as its only round from the library...what did your rellie win the cup for...is it that you are hoping the cup will be on show in the pub?? if so and you dont see it i suggest you ask members of staff because for all you know it could have been put into storage within the pub...of course everything in my photo has long gone now...just the pub standing which still amazes me ..:)

lyn

Back