• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Scouts Cubs Boys Brigade Girl Guides Brownies

For all you Brownies and Girl Guides out there.

First the Brownie Handbook, second the Girl Guide badge made by Smith & Wright, Birmingham. Viv

.image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I was a Brownie at St Johns, Perry Barr - 216th Birmingham I think we were.
I still have my Brownie uniform and can still just about get into it as I never really grew after I was 12.
I put it on for my niece and nephew some years ago and they thought it was hilarious!!

Eta - we were the 219th!

Last edited:
I was a sea cadet for a while in the 60’s. The sea cadet organisation was funded by the government and was really a gathering net that pointed young people into the full-time navy.

We had naval uniforms and did a lot of training activities and were able to stay at various military basses all over Britain. To travel anywhere the commanding officer would just write out a railway warrant for us to travel.

I was on one training course where after making our way across country in Warwickshire, we were promised a meeting with a naval signal man who had been in the navy for twenty years. It was like a promise of what a wonderful life and opportunity the naval service would bring.

When we met this guy, I stood there with my mouth open. After twenty years in the navy, he was still an ordinary seaman in a ratings uniform. Not that I was over ambitious, but my expectation was to become an ordinary seaman for a week or so, then become an officer the following week, and maybe admiral a week later.

My naval career was sunk.

This has taken longer to write than I thought as I've had to search archives in the loft!..............

On my honour, I promise that I will do my best
To do my duty to God and to the Queen,
To help other people
And to keep the Scout Law
The promise I made under the Union Jack on passing the tenderfoot stage and becoming a member of the 298th Birmingham A troop. It was actually two groups, A on Monday night and B on Friday. I learned a lot more life skills in scouts (first aid, cooking, map reading etc) than I ever did in senior school - which I didnt enjoy.

We had 4 patrols, Lions, Tigers, Wolves and Panthers. I was in Panthers denoted by purple flashes on my sleeve. We all carried knives of varying shapes and sizes and for legitimate business in those days - not like today!

Weekend camps I remember were Yorks Wood, Rough Close - Berkswell, Kinver and Kidlington. At Kidlington we went to a local airshow where we met Douglas Bader. We all followed him around waving our programs begging for an autograph - wish I still had mine. Exitement took hold and I nearly trod on a large tray of drinks which someone had left on the grass. He grabbed my shoulders and steered me round it saying "Careful son that could have been and expensive round". When he left we waived him off as he taxied over the airfield in a twin engined plane in Shell BP livery. We walked miles that day and hadn't eaten. When we returned to camp we feasted on kippers,boiled potatoes and jam sandwiches

(In later years I read that Douglas Bader worked for Shell and when he retired they gave him the plane he used on company business. Dont know if it was the same one we saw but the one gifted to him was a Twin Beech, G-ABOY).

Never understood why our uniforms where different to other scouts as we wore grey shirts and blue shorts. The day of the airshow our scout leader (Les Humphries) told us that we had originally been an Air Scout group - from then on we all wanted to join the RAF and fly. Could this association have been formed because of links to the RAFA which used the hall (and still does) at the end of the lane leading on to Church Road? All I can find out is that the group started 8 October 1941.

We also had a scout band. Wanted to play the drums but so did everyone else so there were only places for buglers. My friend and I were allowed to take our bugles home to practice. We lived two doors apart and would play to one another out of the back bedroom window, much to the annoyance of our neighbours. From then on my Mom made me practice with one of my Dads work socks stuffed in it. We only ever played two tunes, Campfire and Ginger. Still remember them but no longer sure which is which. Our instructor was ex-army and had had been told it was medically impossible to play the bugle as he had false teeth but he gave us the most amazing rendition of The Last Post, saliva dripping down his chin as he struggled to stop his teeth popping out!

Long after I left a new scout hut was built in Greenvale Avenue but I think the old green hut is still there surrounded by a great overgrown hedge of Holly,(but I also have a vague recollection that it may have burned down) The old hut was opposite Old Rectory Farm and accessed via two tall gates entering onto a small triangular piece of land to the front, flanked by a tall hedge on one side and a wire mesh fence on the other which followed the church perimeter wall. In summer this is where we learned knot tying , lashing, and whipping and fire lighting skills - some of the tests I recall taking before we got our scouting badges - anyone remember 'twist' a mix of flower and water made into thin strips of pastry, wrapped around sticks and cooked on the fire. It was awful, would sooner have eaten the burnt stick!

Here's a link I found for Yorks Wood - this was just the other side of our school playing field near Babs Mill. Went on a few Patrol Leader and Seconds weekends here where we were allowed to sleep in a log cabin instead of tents. Amazingly this place has survived, even though the surrounding area has been built up. It is now a nature reserve.

Then: https://www.jimperkins.co.uk/page287.html
Now: https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/visiting-woods/wood/27375/yorks-wood/

Last edited:
I could write for ages about Brownies and Guides. Joined Brownies in 1961 when a pack opened at our church in Shirley. Moved to Guides in 1963 and left a few years later as I did not really enjoy them. Then I was asked to "help" at Brownies for a few weeks - little did I know that 26 years later I would retire as Brown Owl. I shared so many occasions with my pack - I was 21 on Brownie night so I went to the meeting and shared my birthday cake before going out for a meal with my parents (the big party was the following weekend). The Brownies and Guides formed a guard of honour at my wedding and the Brownies sang while we signed the register. I spent my 40th birthday at a county picnic at Hardiman Fields near Shipston on Stour - again we shared a birthday cake, oh yes we were meant to be celebrating Guiding. After 25 years as a warranted Guider I "retired" only because of pressure of work.

(In later years I read that Douglas Bader worked for Shell and when he retired they gave him the plane he used on company business. Dont know if it was the same one we saw but the one gifted to him was a Twin Beech, G-ABOY).
Douglas Bader flew two types of twin engine aircraft for Shell and BP after the war mbenne. From early 1950s to 1964 Miles Gemini's G-AKHZ and G-AMGF, and from 1964 until his retirement in 1969 a Beech Travelair G-APUB (not G-ABOY). So depending what year you saw him at Kidlington would decide which type of aircraft you saw. He was indeed presented with the Beech Travelair as a retirement present by Shell BP.
1376449-large.jpg
211148-miles-gemini-7-g-akhz.jpeg
1074647-large.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for that Elmdon boy. It was in 1960s and definitely wasn't a Gemini as it didn't have twin tail fins. Would have had to have been the Beech unless he had use of other aircraft. Definitely had Shell logo on the tail. Tried looking for airshows in Kidlington in 60s but found nothing

Last edited:
I belonged to various uniform youth organisations, Cubs at Stockfield Rd Congregational Church, Life Boys at Digbeth-in-the-Field, South Yardley, Scouts at KEGS Camp Hill, enjoyed camps at Kinver, Tal y Bont. I was at camp at Tal y Bont when Korean armistice was signed. Remember that I would go to school in uniform with a sizeable sheaf knife on days when there were scout meetings after school. Guess that would cause concern these days!

This has taken longer to write than I thought as I've had to search archives in the loft!..............

On my honour, I promise that I will do my best
To do my duty to God and to the Queen,
To help other people
And to keep the Scout Law
The promise I made under the Union Jack on passing the tenderfoot stage and becoming a member of the 298th Birmingham A troop. It was actually two groups, A on Monday night and B on Friday. I learned a lot more life skills in scouts (first aid, cooking, map reading etc) than I ever did in senior school - which I didnt enjoy.

We had 4 patrols, Lions, Tigers, Wolves and Panthers. I was in Tigers denoted by purple flashes on my sleeve. We all carried knives of varying shapes and sizes and for legitimate business in those days - not like today!

Weekend camps I remember were Yorks Wood, Rough Close - Berkswell, Kinver and Kidlington. At Kidlington we went to a local airshow where we met Douglas Bader. We all followed him around waving our programs begging for an autograph - wish I still had mine. Exitement took hold and I nearly trod on a large tray of drinks which someone had left on the grass. He grabbed my shoulders and steered me round it saying "Careful son that could have been and expensive round". When he left we waived him off as he taxied over the airfield in a twin engined plane in Shell BP livery. We walked miles that day and hadn't eaten. When we returned to camp we feasted on kippers,boiled potatoes and jam sandwiches

Never understood why our uniforms where different to other scouts as we wore grey shirts and blue shorts. The day of the airshow our scout leader (Les Humphries) told us that we had originally been an Air Scout group - from then on we all wanted to join the RAF and fly. Could this association have been formed because of links to the RAFA which used the hall (and still does) at the end of the lane leading on to Church Road? All I can find out is that the group started 8 October 1941.

We also had a scout band. Wanted to play the drums but so did everyone else so there were only places for buglers. My friend and I were allowed to take our bugles home to practice. We lived two doors apart and would play to one another out of the back bedroom window, much to the annoyance of our neighbours. From then on my Mom made me practice with one of my Dads work socks stuffed in it. We only ever played two tunes, Campfire and Ginger. Still remember them but no longer sure which is which. Our instructor was ex-army and had had been told it was medically impossible to play the bugle as he had false teeth but he gave us the most amazing rendition of The Last Post, saliva dripping down his chin as he struggled to stop his teeth popping out!

Long after I left a new scout hut was built in Greenvale Avenue but I think the old green hut is still there surrounded by a great overgrown hedge of Holly,(but I also have a vague recollection that it may have burned down) The old hut was opposite Old Rectory Farm and accessed via two tall gates entering onto a small triangular piece of land to the front, flanked by a tall hedge on one side and a wire mesh fence on the other which followed the church perimeter wall. In summer this is where we learned knot tying , lashing, and whipping and fire lighting skills - some of the tests I recall taking before we got our scouting badges - anyone remember 'twist' a mix of flower and water made into thin strips of pastry, wrapped around sticks and cooked on the fire. It was awful, would sooner have eaten the burnt stick!

Here's a link I found for Yorks Wood - this was just the other side of our school playing field near Babs Mill. Went on a few Patrol Leader and Seconds weekends here where we were allowed to sleep in a log cabin instead of tents. Amazingly this place has survived, even though the surrounding area has been built up. It is now a nature reserve.

Then: https://www.jimperkins.co.uk/page287.html
Now: https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/visiting-woods/wood/27375/yorks-wood/

Link below is from an old 8mm movie film of my Dad's from around 1965/66 when my parents collected us from weekend Camp at Rough Close. Mom is rounding us up and Les, our scout leader is wafting the fire for a final brew. All the lads were school friends. The one with the suitcase became a music teacher and for a time was Saturday organist at St Giles Church. The one pushing the car is my fellow bugle player, he moved to Spain as a holiday apartment maintenance man. I'm the one in the grey anorak. I had designs of joining the police but my career took a totally different direction but 30 years later I did do a few foot patrols in Berkswell as a special constable. My mate with the rucksack actually joined the RAF. Saddly he and my fellow bugle player passed away some years ago.

The attached photo is of a painting I did in school of my friends rucksack and boots - these appear in the film clip - the bobble hat is mine, with my scout patrol flashes attached (no I wasn't a wolves supporter, my mom bought it because of the colour). Have no idea how or why we came to take these items into school for the subject of an art lesson. Perhaps we were just proud scouts :)

This is getting spooky now. I too was a member of 298th troop base at the hut adj. to King George V playing fields. I used to go on a Friday night and was a member of Kingfisher patrol. I remember camping at Yorkswood, Church parade at St. Giles and attending a Jamboree at Cannon Hill park where I had my leather scout belt "branded" as a momento of the occasion. We didn't have a band as far as I remember and our Scoutmaster was a lovely guy named Frank.
You mentioned the Air Cadets. Both my children joined the ATC (2030 Squadron) at Barrows lane and both attained the rank of Cadet Warrant Officer. Now my oldest grandson is a very proud Cub Scout (They're not referred to as Wolf Cubs now are they?) and enjoys it immensly.

This is getting spooky now. I too was a member of 298th troop base at the hut adj. to King George V playing fields. I used to go on a Friday night and was a member of Kingfisher patrol. I remember camping at Yorkswood, Church parade at St. Giles and attending a Jamboree at Cannon Hill park where I had my leather scout belt "branded" as a momento of the occasion. We didn't have a band as far as I remember and our Scoutmaster was a lovely guy named Frank.
You mentioned the Air Cadets. Both my children joined the ATC (2030 Squadron) at Barrows lane and both attained the rank of Cadet Warrant Officer. Now my oldest grandson is a very proud Cub Scout (They're not referred to as Wolf Cubs now are they?) and enjoys it immensly.
Now you just reminded me I had my belt branded too but cant remember where this was. I do recall it was round in shape with location and possibly a date. Had several Scout leaders/helpers. They were Les humphries, Kim Checkley both of whom lived by silvermere road. Also Dick(?) Bragg who lived in Melton Avenue Solihull and a Canadian guy who lived in Parkdale road. Forgot his name but he was on fire crew at Elmdon airport and took us round the hangers one weekend.

Now you just reminded me I had my belt branded too but cant remember where this was. I do recall it was round in shape with location and possibly a date. Had several Scout leaders/helpers. They were Les humphries, Kim Checkley both of whom lived by silvermere road. Also Dick(?) Bragg who lived in Melton Avenue Solihull and a Canadian guy who lived in Parkdale road. Forgot his name but he was on fire crew at Elmdon airport and took us round the hangers one weekend.
Can't recall any of the names but there was a Paul Checkley who lived in Silvermere but I didn't know him.

Paul's parents were John and Vera, i believe John may have been a scoutmaster at one time.
Paul was 'Kim's' son, who also went to Central. I think Kim may have been a nickname. Last time I saw Paul was 1972 when he was working in the offices at Landrover.

I was a 9 year old Brownie when I went to the jamboree at Sutton park, what amazing memories I still have autographs from people around the world who were there then, I belonged to 231st Brownie group that was held at Stetchford Road school , not sure if that’s still Castle Brom or Ward End , I was an imp and became a sixer, Happy Days

I was a 9 year old Brownie when I went to the jamboree at Sutton park, what amazing memories I still have autographs from people around the world who were there then, I belonged to 231st Brownie group that was held at Stetchford Road school , not sure if that’s still Castle Brom or Ward End , I was an imp and became a sixer, Happy Days
There is a thread about the Scout Jamboree. Some pics have been lost from early posts but many are still there and a couple of the pics below... lots of memories ...:)
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/scout-jamboree-sutton-park.830/post-603572
index.php

index.php

Back