• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Marsh Hill Girls Grammar Tech School

Hi Suzanne. I remember Bronwen, although not personally. And some of the other names are familiar, but again, didn't personally know the girls.

Good to see your form photo. A few faces are familiar but not sure I could put names to faces. Thanks for posting. I see it was taken outside the school main entrance. Viv.

Hi - I was Suzanne Booton and I can't for the life of me remember which form I was in! My closest friends in my class were Lynn Hayes (lived in Handsworth) Susan Laight (lived near the Yew Tree) and Penny Higgins (lived near Stockland Green). The other girls that I can remember in my class were Julia Cope, Margaret (Ann) Turvey aka Topsy, Lesley Pritchard and Margaret Brain. My cousin was Bronwen Moore (Bonny) who was Head Girl. Do any of the above names ring any bells? I have my class form photo which I will try to download. I would love to know who you are.
I have just found another photo with 4A on it so it is more than possible that I was in 5A the year after.

Sorry., I replied to your later post before seeing this!

I'm Anne Spencer and yes, I remember all the girls you mention. I was particularly friends with Lynda Potter who is standing to the right of me - we still keep in touch now although I haven't actually seen her for a few years.
I remember Lynn Hayes, she worked at Hudsons Bookshop in town and she married the guy who used to run Ronnie Scott's Club in Brum.

Top row to the left of Julie Cope is Suzanne Wootton and then Margaret Hollis, Josie Wilson, Judy Staple, Yvonne Sims, Lisa Caro, Topsy, Linda Hudson,

Middle row Miss Isles (sp?) Lesley P, Glenda Nolan, Gillian (?), Judy Moore, me, Lynda Potter, Margaret Brain, Ann Perry, next girl - can't think of her name?, Susan Laight.

Front row ; Kathleen Wilkins, Susan Pearce, Diane Crowther, next girl - can't remember - Susan something?, Janet ?, you, Anne Durrant, Penny Higgins, Lyn Hayes.

Yes, I remember Bronwen, I didn't know she was your cousin, very pretty girl - good at acting.

Ahhhh, happy days!!

Last edited:
Hi - I was Suzanne Booton and I can't for the life of me remember which form I was in! My closest friends in my class were Lynn Hayes (lived in Handsworth) Susan Laight (lived near the Yew Tree) and Penny Higgins (lived near Stockland Green). The other girls that I can remember in my class were Julia Cope, Margaret (Ann) Turvey aka Topsy, Lesley Pritchard and Margaret Brain. My cousin was Bronwen Moore (Bonny) who was Head Girl. Do any of the above names ring any bells? I have my class form photo which I will try to download. I would love to know who you are.
Sorry., I replied to your later post before seeing this!

I'm Anne Spencer and yes, I remember all the girls you mention. I was particularly friends with Lynda Potter who is standing to the right of me - we still keep in touch now although I haven't actually seen her for a few years.
I remember Lynn Hayes, she worked at Hudsons Bookshop in town and she married the guy who used to run Ronnie Scott's Club in Brum.

Top row to the left of Julie Cope is Suzanne Wootton and then Margaret Hollis, Josie Wilson, Judy Staple, Yvonne Sims, Lisa Caro, Topsy, Linda Hudson,

Middle row Miss Isles (sp?) Lesley P, Glenda Nolan, Gillian (?), Judy Moore, me, Lynda Potter, Margaret Brain, Ann Perry, next girl - can't think of her name?, Susan Laight.

Front row ; Kathleen Wilkins, Susan Pearce, Diane Crowther, next girl - can't remember - Susan something?, Janet ?, you, Anne Durrant, Penny Higgins, Lyn Hayes.

Yes, I remember Bronwen, I didn't know she was your cousin, very pretty girl - good at acting.

Ahhhh, happy days!!
Oh that's amazing Anne - you have such a good memory for names. I used to see Lynn Hayes out of school which wasn't easy as I lived in Tile Cross and she lived in Handsworth but for whatever reason we lost contact. I look back and wished I had made more effort. It is so much easier now with mobile phones, e-mail, Facebook etc. Yes Bonny was pretty and clever! She emigrated to Australia and became a Headmistress. It is so lovely to make contact with someone that not only went to Marsh Hill but was also in my class!

Hi Suzanne. I remember Bronwen, although not personally. And some of the other names are familiar, but again, didn't personally know the girls.

Good to see your form photo. A few faces are familiar but not sure I could put names to faces. Thanks for posting. I see it was taken outside the school main entrance. Viv.

Viv - I find it hard to remember the girls that were in my year let alone other years! Lovely to make contact.

Yes, lovely to make contact with you too !

Over the weekend shall have a go at naming my form. You both might recognise some names.

I have about 3 MHG's speech day programmes somewhere, shall have to dig them out too. Viv.

Yes, lovely to make contact with you too !

Over the weekend shall have a go at naming my form. You both might recognise some names.

I have about 3 MHG's speech day programmes somewhere, shall have to dig them out too. Viv.

Sorry Viv I probably won't but you never know - the only thing I have MHG is my old school scarf! Suzanne

Some things that will be familiar Suzanne and A Sparks are in another extract below. I wrote this some years ago about the school layout and its features. But not sure how much of this has since survived as we know some (if not all by now) has probably been demolished. But when the school was built, it would have been a typical example of a state of the art, 1950/60s school building.

It was a modern school, designed and equipped to a high standard. The whole school was originally broadly 'T' shaped, although later aerial views show additional buildings. On approaching the wide, main entrance to the building you'd notice a small frieze on the exterior wall to the right of the entrance. I only vaguely remember this frieze, despite passing it every day, but it probably symbolised what Marsh Hill Girls' was all about. Carved on it were various measuring and scientific instruments, so the scientific emphasis in the curriculum must have been important. It certainly was for me, although languages were, to me, far more interesting.

Behind the school was a field and grassed area which circled the back of the school, starting on the Marsh Hill road side, continuing along the back of the Science block and reaching across to Marsh Hill Boys' School. This area was mostly used for athletics training in the summer term. Google maps show the Science block area of the school has in later years seen the most change, with two extensions. These two new buildings appear to cover much of the original sports field, the very spot where we threw a blinding discus, javelin or temper tantrum.

Moving back to the Marsh Hill side, behind the Hall, there's now an area of tarmac and a car park. In my time this area contained long jump and high jump sandpits and another grassed area. There may also have been some parking spaces, but on a much smaller scale. Another large area of tarmac was in front of the main school entrance and Gym. This was set up for tennis courts in summer or netball pitches in winter.

Just inside the school entrance, was the Main Hall with the Gym to the right and the open-plan, dining area to the left. Through the dining area you reached a staircase with access to classrooms in the only multi-storey section of the school. To the right of the stairs was the rear school door. The wall joining it housed a row of hatches through which those delightful (!) school meals appeared. We'd queue patiently at the hatches waiting to be served, giving us time to find the strip of grey dinner tickets stashed in the little zip pocket of our blue, expanding, nurses-style belt.

To the left side of the staircase was the corridor to the offices for the Head, Deputy Head and the staffroom. These were not often visited. Although those of a naughtier disposition would be far more familiar with this territory. Also on the left was a corridor leading to the low-level science block where much smelly stuff was concocted and, in later years, gave a good view of passing Marsh Hill Boys' VI formers taking mixed lessons (yes, 'mixed' - with the opposite sex !)

Leaving the dining area and taking the upwards staircase through the multi-level block, is where you'd find the form rooms and classrooms. Many of the rooms were simply blank and boring classrooms, with little to offer except hard work. But some held things a little more interesting such as the Language Lab with its individual cubicles lined with soundproofing boards, the type with lots of holes in. I think you could hang your headphones up on the boards. Other rooms with better prospects were the domestic science rooms with fully equipped kitchens and a mock-up flat where you'd learn the vital skills of making a bed, including, of course, mastering the essential hospital corners. And on the top floor, don't forget the classrooms which gave a good viewing platform for male spotting, either directly across to Stockland Green Bi-Lateral or Marsh Hill Boys' to the right. It was all part of a rich and enlightening education !

Back downstairs, the Main Hall hosted many joint girl/boy school theatricals, like Gilbert and Sullivan's "Mikado" and "The Pirates of Penzance". Having never summoned up the courage to audition for a part, I think I missed a lot of fun. So my artistic expression was confined to fluttering and strutting in this same hall during dance lessons dressed in regulation pale green dance tunic. The Hall was, I believe, where the school record was recorded. Presumably it had good acoustics.

Beneath the stage (yes beneath !) was the Sixth Form Common Room. This was probably a serious fire risk, especially as some girls lit up the occasional, crafty fag (strictly against school rules of course, but you know what they say about rules). One of the entrances to the Common Room was via the side of the stage (internal) and the other was through a small external door on the Marsh Hill side of the building. The entrance to the Common Room with its sunken door and small window alongside are still there, but they're now covered over and not particularly inviting.

Just inside that door was a kitchen with a sink and cooker. Continuing through to the Common Room we had rows of low, comfy chairs and a record player (remember those?). The Common Room is best described as 'makeshift' with all the pipework and supporting beams exposed along the ceiling. It certainly wouldn't cut it with today's H&S inspectors. It was here that we sixth formers solved all our boy, makeup and fashion problems. An education in itself !

Viv

Now had a go at naming faces on my form photo. Here goes:

image.jpeg

Blue row
1. ?
2. ?
3. Rose Harvey
4. Yvonne Bonquet
5. Sue Pearson

Red row
6. Janet Poxon
7. Sharon ?
8. Kath Henderson
9. ?
10. Peta ?
11. Me
12. Anne Rollason
13. Mrs Bates, Form Tutor

Purple row
14. Cynthia Pritchard
15. ?
16. Christine Sutton
17. Irene Price
18. ?
19. ?
20. ?

Yellow row
21. Lorraine Waldron
22. Marilyn Pritchatt
23. Sally Smith
24. Susan Vyse
25. ?
26. Linda Sabin
27. ?
28. ?
29. Susan Nicklin

Think the photo might date to 1968. Viv.

Last edited:
In Easter 1968 I was fortunate to go on the school exchange to Cologne. Some of the German girls who came to us the following September are in the photo below. (Suzanne - not sure about this, but is it Bronwen sitting on the floor in the photo ? Not sure she was still there at this time though)

For German lessons we were given German names. Mine was Katchen. German was a favourite subject. According to this November 1971 Birmingham Post article, Mrs Thatcher made a visit to our language lab, having spent some of the day dodging demonstrators around Birmingham. I don't remember even being aware that she was in the school - which seems odd, as doubtless all the school would have been told. What I do remember is a proposed visit being cancelled. Was that an earlier one ? Or was it this one to disguise her visit, thus avoiding demonstrators ? How mysterious. Viv

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Some things that will be familiar Suzanne and A Sparks are in another extract below. I wrote this some years ago about the school layout and its features. But not sure how much of this has since survived as we know some (if not all by now) has probably been demolished. But when the school was built, it would have been a typical example of a state of the art, 1950/60s school building.

It was a modern school, designed and equipped to a high standard. The whole school was originally broadly 'T' shaped, although later aerial views show additional buildings. On approaching the wide, main entrance to the building you'd notice a small frieze on the exterior wall to the right of the entrance. I only vaguely remember this frieze, despite passing it every day, but it probably symbolised what Marsh Hill Girls' was all about. Carved on it were various measuring and scientific instruments, so the scientific emphasis in the curriculum must have been important. It certainly was for me, although languages were, to me, far more interesting.

Behind the school was a field and grassed area which circled the back of the school, starting on the Marsh Hill road side, continuing along the back of the Science block and reaching across to Marsh Hill Boys' School. This area was mostly used for athletics training in the summer term. Google maps show the Science block area of the school has in later years seen the most change, with two extensions. These two new buildings appear to cover much of the original sports field, the very spot where we threw a blinding discus, javelin or temper tantrum.

Moving back to the Marsh Hill side, behind the Hall, there's now an area of tarmac and a car park. In my time this area contained long jump and high jump sandpits and another grassed area. There may also have been some parking spaces, but on a much smaller scale. Another large area of tarmac was in front of the main school entrance and Gym. This was set up for tennis courts in summer or netball pitches in winter.

Just inside the school entrance, was the Main Hall with the Gym to the right and the open-plan, dining area to the left. Through the dining area you reached a staircase with to access classrooms in the only multi storey section of the school. To the right of the stairs was the rear school door. The wall joining it housed a row of hatches through which those delightful (!) school meals appeared. We'd queue patiently at the hatches waiting to be served, giving us time to find the strip of grey dinner tickets stashed in the little zip pocket of our blue, expanding, nurses-style belt.

To the left side of the staircase was the corridor to the offices for the Head, Deputy Head and the staffroom. These were not often visited. Although those of a naughtier disposition would be far more familiar with this territory. Also on the left was a corridor leading to the low-level science block where much smelly stuff was concocted and, in later years, gave a good view of passing Marsh Hill Boys VI formers taking mixed lessons (yes, 'mixed' - with the opposite sex !)

Leaving the dining area and taking the upwards staircase through the multi-level block, is where you'd find the form rooms and classrooms. Many of the rooms were simply blank and boring classrooms, with little to offer except hard work. But some held things a little more interesting such as the Language Lab with its individual cubicles lined with soundproofing boards, the type with lots of holes in. I think you could hang your headphones up on the boards. Other rooms with better prospects were the domestic science rooms with fully equipped kitchens and a mock-up flat where you'd learn the vital skills of making a bed, including, of course, mastering the essential hospital corners. And on the top floor, don't forget the classrooms which gave a good viewing platform for male spotting, either directly across to Stockland Green Bi-Lateral or Marsh Hill Boys' to the right. It was all part of a rich and enlightening education !

Back downstairs, the Main Hall hosted many joint girl/boy school theatricals, like Gilbert and Sullivan's "Mikado" and "The Pirates of Penzance".Having never summoned up the courage to audition for a part, I think I missed a lot of fun. So my artistic expression was confined to fluttering and strutting in this same hall during dance lessons dressed in regulation pale green dance tunic. The Hall was, I believe, where the school record was recorded. Presumably it had good acoustics.

Beneath the stage (yes beneath !) was the Sixth Form Common Room. This was probably a serious fire risk, especially as some girls lit up the occasional, crafty fag (strictly against school rules of course, but you know what they say about rules). One of the entrances to the Common Room was via the side of the stage (internal) and the other was through a small external door on the Marsh Hill side of the building. The entrance to the Common Room with its sunken door and small window alongside are still there, but they're now covered over and not particularly inviting.

Just inside that door was a kitchen with a sink and cooker. Continuing through to the Common Room we had rows of low, comfy chairs and a record player (remember those?). The Common Room is best described as 'makeshift' with all the pipework and supporting beams exposed along the ceiling. It certainly wouldn't cut it with today's H&S inspectors. It was here that we sixth formers solved all our boy, makeup and fashion problems. An education in itself !

Viv
What a brilliant memory you have Viv. I seem to have blocked most memories of school apart from playing cricket & wagging off to go fishing in Brookvale park ) & may i say, that number 11 in the photo is the best looking girl in the class!

Great post Viv, that was the school exactly, a great piece of writing!
I can still picture it all.

Is Bronwen still out in Australia - I imagine she's retired now?

Great post Viv, that was the school exactly, a great piece of writing!
I can still picture it all.

Is Bronwen still out in Australia - I imagine she's retired now?

Yes great post Viv - you reminded me of many things.
Yes Bonny is still in Australia and I would imagine that she has retired. If my memory serves me right when I was in the 1st year she was in the 4th year. Suzanne

In Easter 1968 I was fortunate to go on the school exchange to Cologne. Some of the German girls who came to us the following September are in the photo below. (Suzanne - not sure about this, but is it Bronwen sitting on the floor in the photo ? Not sure she was still there at this time though)

For German lessons we were given German names. Mine was Katchen. German was a favourite subject. According to this November 1971 Birmingham Post article, Mrs Thatcher made a visit to our language lab, having spent some of the day dodging demonstrators around Birmingham. I don't remember even being aware that she was in the school - which seems odd, as doubtless all the school would have been told. What I do remember is a proposed visit being cancelled. Was that an earlier one ? Or was it this one to disguise her visit, thus avoiding demonstrators ? How mysterious. Viv

View attachment 122098

View attachment 122099

Viv - not it's not Bonny - she had already left MHG.

If I remember reading rightly, when Marsh Hill Girls opened there were two years, 11+ and 12+ girls (I think there used to be a 12+ years ago to give children a second chance at the Grammar School).

When we started in 62 Suzanne there were three years above us so, yes, Bronwen would have just gone into the 4th year.

I remember some of those older girls - they seemed very grown up to me! Hilary Lewis was one - I think she might have been Head Prefect.
They were lucky, they never had to be 'first years'!

I have just found another photo with 4A on it so it is more than possible that I was in 5A the year after

Hi Suzanne I was there 62-68 and in 5A I think I am top right hand in your photo and remember all of t

Welcome Lyn. I've edited the post, but in so doing I think I left a little bit of your comment off !! So very sorry. If you tell me what it was I'll correct it. Good to hear from another MHG girl. Viv.

Hi Viv I think the reason I messed up was because I copied Suzanne’s post as
mine instead and was trying to put it right. It’s nice to see that some of us are still hale and hearty in our 60s. Seems many years have gone by so quickly.

Lovely to hear from you Lyn. You were two years above me. I think the year I joined was when the school had the first VI Form. I remember being amazed at the maturity of the older girls. Don't think we were quite as mature by the time we reached VI form - although we thought we were ! Viv.

Back