• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Canals of Birmingham

Re post #958. The timber merchants were probably Thos Short & Co. The business seems to have reached bankruptcy by March 1869 - advert (from Birmingham Daily Post) for an auction of their draught horses below. Viv.

image.jpeg

Hi all,

I’m trying to find more info about Worcester Wharf. My Gt Gt Grandfather Rowland G Long was according to the 1871 census a Public Wharfinger at the Worcester Wharf and living at the Machine House with his wife and children. Is there any records of him at the Wharf, or maps or any later photos of the actual machine House.

Hi all,

I’m trying to find more info about Worcester Wharf. My Gt Gt Grandfather Rowland G Long was according to the 1871 census a Public Wharfinger at the Worcester Wharf and living at the Machine House with his wife and children. Is there any records of him at the Wharf, or maps or any later photos of the actual machine House.

For a start there is a marriage, but it may not be your R Young?

Edit....it is in fact a Ruben Young.

Screen Shot 2018-01-10 at 23.13.58.png

Map of the wharf in c 1889. Only some buildings labelled and in fact it is not quite clear as to how far it extended

Worcester wharf c 1889.jpg

A888B6FD-91B1-49AD-A9DA-DC099AD94A0E.png

Would it be a Roland Granville Long, later in 1884 being Monument Road?

Roland G Long in the 1891 census was down as a collector in the coal trade, Whitehead Road.

Hi all,

Last edited:
The map in your post 965 Mike has a tremendous amount of information in it. The large amount of industrial premises ( some named others a simple reference to the trade carried on), the subterranean railway lines from New Street I guess, a school, synagogue plus the numerous wharves. I suspect that many of the small basins shown were filled in so no longer exist.
I know many here are great researchers, maybe it would be worthwhile to put company names, if possible, to some of the unmarked premises and maybe some further detail to the other features shown?
The synagogue is, as far as I can see, the Singers Hill synagogue which was built in Blucher Street in 1856.

Last edited:
Towards Gas Street Basin from The Mailbox.

Notice the dip in the towpath above the Holliday Street Aqueduct.

The footbridge near Bar Lock Footbridge Gas Street that is now long since blocked off.

Bricks on the towpath laid a bit differently.

The other direction.

This film was before the footbridge was built and shows the bridge which was in use which could be moved to allow boats to pass through the stop lock. I am sure I can remember it as just a plank of wood without the hand rails

This film was before the footbridge was built and shows the bridge which was in use which could be moved to allow boats to pass through the stop lock. I am sure I can remember it as just a plank of wood without the hand rails

Indeed I remember the plank too. It was just a plank, then someone put a bolt in one end, so it would swivel open for boats to pass. I have a vague memory of a handrail appearing later too.

The Edgbaston Tunnel is now closed. The towpath between Islington Row Middleway and The Vale is now closed. If you are a walker or cyclist, you could go down: Islington Row Middleway, Wheeleys Road, Carpenter Road, Church Road, then walk / cycle down Masons Way to The Vale and get back onto the towpath.
I would assume that narrowboat users would have to divert at Kings Norton Junction?
Edgbaston Tunnel diversion.jpg

Pedestrian diversion on the Worcester & Birmingham Canal - towpath closes from Islington Row Middleway to The Vale.

Get off at Islington Row Middleway and go up the steps.

Walk down Wheeleys Road and turn right onto Carpenter Road (or cycle if you have a bike).

At the end of Carpenter Road, turn left onto Church Road and head towards The Vale.

Turn right and head past the new Chamberlain Tower

Continue heading down.

Then turn right when you see the footbridge

The towpath at The Vale is blocked off a little north of the footbridge

It took me around 15 minutes.

Morning All
Currently on the Birmingham and Worcester heading for the City. Overnighted at Tibberton, good value for money meal at the Bridge Inn. If you see Rock Dove and an elderly gentleman operating a lock, we have been spotted. It sounds like one of those newspaper seaside competitions, where you had to spot someone carrying a newspaper and challenge them to win five pounds.
Bob

Bob, I think I would have to be carrying a newspaper too to claim. What was the chap's name? I seem to remember it began with L.
Hope you have a great week and that the weather picks up a bit.

22cdd348.jpg

"You are Lobby Lud and I claim my five pounds."

Now let's be honest hands up all those who thought it was Looby Lou,. Just stopped for lunch at Stoke Priors

...Tardebigge here we come
Bob

Made it three hours twenty five minutes. Pass the liniment please
Now for Gas Street basin. Sweet dreams all
Bob

Lunch at the Hopwood, speeded up since we fitted the twin Evinrudes, water skiing, sunloungers on the quarterdeck, oh the Captain is calling us for cocktails. Further reports will probably be in the weather forum. Seven degrees and an arctic wind. Still there is always Oswald Bailey's for ex army surplus winter wear
Bob

12C/54F and sunshine in the south of the county, Bob, same temperature in Barnstaple but I can't vouch for sun.
Well after the 'frozen north' you can look forward to the balmy south again. :D

Can't say I have heard of the other guy Lenny, although I live in the SW. But in the mid to early sixties I moved around a lot as I was in the RAF. The only Devon base I was ever to visit was Mountbatten although I went to many places either side in Cornwall, Somerset and Wiltshire. :)

Back