• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Horton

B

Barb xxx

My great grandmother was Charlotte Horton (b 1869), married Frederick Newbrook (b 1864) in 1894. Her parents were Alexander Horton (c1839) and Elizabeth Beckworth.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I have a photo of Charlotte and Frederick if any other decendents would like a copy.

xxx

Re: Hutton

I am trying to trace back my family. My Father, Reginald died in 1969 in Handsworthwood. He was born, but don't know where, in 1897. I believe my Grandfather, John, died in Aston, Frederick Rd circa 1941 at the age of 79 -80. But I am not too good with all this tracing stuff on the Census lists or deaths etc. Can anyone give me some advice on how to start the trace or if you have any info on the name, I would be most grateful.

Thanks all.
Ron

Hello Barb

I have found the following on the 1901 census:

Living at .... (difficult to read) Cot , Hill Street, Smethwick.

Fredk Newbrook, head, married, 35, Iron ......, born Northampton,
Mrs Newbrook, wife, married, 32, born Handsworth, Staffs.
Tom Newbrook, son, 5, born Smethwick, Staffs.
F Newbrook, son, 1, born Smethwick, Staffs.
Mrs Horton, Lodger, Widow, 71, born Handsworth, Staffs.
J Horton, Grandson, 10, born Smethwick, Staffs.
P Horton, Grandson, 11, born Smethwick, Staffs.
J.A. (?) Horton, Grandson, 16, .... Tube Drawer, born Staffs, Hockley.

RG13; Piece: 2821; Folio: 188; Page: 11

In the 1891 census there is

27 Hill Street, Smethwick

Alexander Horton, head, married,65, Marchine Fitter, born Smethwick.
EMMA Horton, wife, married, 60, born Handsworth.

Thank you Judy, 'tis much appreciated :)

Have since found out that J Horton, one of Mrs Horton's grandsons, is Charlotte's son John who was born "the wrong side of the sheets" - not unusual in my family tree but frustrating when trying to trace them back!

Thanks again for your help.

xxx

You're very welcome Barb. I also have several in my tree born 'the other side of the sheets' but its interesting working out the relationships isn't it:) Judy

Hi my nan was Lily Newbrook,Charlotte & Freds daughter. I am Lily's granddaughter Janette. I would love to hear more and to see some pictures. Lily died when I was 12 and I only have some small memories. My mom died in 2000 and I wish I had started this before so I could ask her questions for my family tree. This is so exciting. Would love to be in touch.

I think this could be your grandmother and her family in 1939 (eve of ww2 register) - there is a blacked out entry on picture, this is a person, who is probably still living at time of listing on FMP.

Rachel Household (7 People) 5 Thomas Street , Smethwick C.B., Staffordshire, England

FIRST NAME(S) LAST NAME(S) DOB SEX OCCUPATION MARITAL STATUS SCHEDULE SCHEDULE SUB NUMBER
Lily Rachel 07 Dec 1900 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 138 2
George Rachel 20 Jul 1902 Male Knocker Out Iron Foundry Labourer Work Married 138 1
George Rachel 09 Jun 1925 Male Moulder Iron Foundry Single 138 3
Rose (Irene) ?Ord (Firkins,Rachel) 23 Sep 1926 Female At School Single 138 4
Ivy (Lilian) Millsom (Rachel) 11 Aug 1929 Female At School Single 138 5
Beryl Bellamy (Rachel) 16 Oct 1931 Female At School Single 138 6
Violet Bennett (Rachel) 29 Oct 1933 Female At School Single 138 7

Attachments

• lily rachel.jpg
    lily rachel.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 7
1911 census for Fred, Charlotte and their family

Name:Fred NewbrookAge in 1911:46 Estimated birth year:abt 1865 Relation to Head: Head Gender:Male Birth Place:Smethwick Civil Parish:Smethwick Street address:11 Bridge Street, Smethwick Marital Status:Married Occupation:General Labourer Registration district:Kings Norton Registration District Number:383 Sub-registration district:Smethwick ED, institution, or vessel:33 Household schedule number:38 Piece:17975 Household Members:
Name Age
Fred Newbrook 46
Charlotte Newbrook 41
Thomas Newbrook 15
Fred Newbrook 11
Lily Newbrook 9
Charlotte Newbrook 7
Rose Newbrook 4
Alice Newbrook 1

Attachments

• fred newbrook 1911 b.jpg
    fred newbrook 1911 b.jpg
    435.7 KB · Views: 7
My great grandmother was Charlotte Horton (b 1869), married Frederick Newbrook (b 1864) in 1894. Her parents were Alexander Horton (c1839) and Elizabeth Beckworth.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I have a photo of Charlotte and Frederick if any other decendents would like a copy.

xxx

Thank you Bewdley. It certainly is my family. My mom was Beryl who married Eric Bellamy hence the update. The others are my aunts and uncles. There was 9 children all together. There are only 2 of them still living today. They still talk about Thomas Street.
I am grateful for your help.

I think this could be your grandmother and her family in 1939 (eve of ww2 register) - there is a blacked out entry on picture, this is a person, who is probably still living at time of listing on FMP.

Rachel Household (7 People) 5 Thomas Street , Smethwick C.B., Staffordshire, England

FIRST NAME(S) LAST NAME(S) DOB SEX OCCUPATION MARITAL STATUS SCHEDULE SCHEDULE SUB NUMBER
Lily Rachel 07 Dec 1900 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 138 2
George Rachel 20 Jul 1902 Male Knocker Out Iron Foundry Labourer Work Married 138 1
George Rachel 09 Jun 1925 Male Moulder Iron Foundry Single 138 3
Rose (Irene) ?Ord (Firkins,Rachel) 23 Sep 1926 Female At School Single 138 4
Ivy (Lilian) Millsom (Rachel) 11 Aug 1929 Female At School Single 138 5
Beryl Bellamy (Rachel) 16 Oct 1931 Female At School Single 138 6
Violet Bennett (Rachel) 29 Oct 1933 Female At School Single 138 7
Thank you. It is my family. My mom was Beryl known as Betty!

xxx
Do,you have the photograph of Charlotte and Fred ?

xxx
I would love to see the photo please. My Nan was Lily Newbrook daughter of Charlotte & Fred

hi barb..i am afraid that barbs post was made way back in 2008 and she is now only a guest not a full member so unless she joins again she will not be able to reply to you

lyn

Back