• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

king family 64 Ladypool Road 1930s

This is the only census I can find for a Francis and Florence King that fits with above - it says married 7 years, but still not found a marriage that fits.....yet....if it's there one of us will find it soon

1911 Census transcription details for: 4 Bk 28 Owen St Birmingham
National Archive Reference: RG14PN18109 RG78PN1098 RD384 SD4 ED6 SN249
Reg. District:
Birmingham
Sub District:
St Martin
Parish:
Birmingham
Enum. District:
Address:
4 Bk 28 Owen St Birmingham
County:
Warwickshire

Name
Relation
Condition/
Yrs married

Sex
Occupation
Where Born
KIING, Francis
Head
Married
M
General Labourer
(house decorators)
Walmley Ash Warwickshire
KIING, Florence
Wife
Married
7 years
F
Kidderminster Worcestershire
They have no children

1912 electoral roll Market Hall ward has Frank King living at 4 back 8 Owen Street, I think this should be 28 Owen Street because it sits between 27 and 29.

bewdley

Feeing quite hurt and empty at the moment. Hardy was wrote in light pencil on the back the photo with him in his white uniform, there were two ships Hardy, one sank at the beginning one in the middle of the war. I spent a lot of time reseaching the ships and crew, as some survived and were transferred to other ships some sailors named King. If George E Hardy who died in 1959 was the Ladypool Road one, was he was adopted as well as dad, and the reason why he was so understanding to dad. But why was dad told he had died? and why did dad not know his name was Hardy and not King? I thankyou all very much for your hard work. I have been going in the wrong direction. It seems I need to look for Mary Mead and George E Hardy. I wish I had contacted you all earlier, I tried to do it myself and proved I needed help..While writing this the Registry Office just phoned my son and said dads mothers .name was not Mary so did we still want the certificate? He would not say what it was. we still want it for the other info, but will keep you informed as soon as it comes!!!!! It looks like I am stuck again and will need help soon , Thanks a lot for your time, Chris

Thanks very much every little bit of info helps put this jigsaw together. (as no children, maybe they adopted instead?) eagerly waiting for dads birth certificate as they phoned and said name is not Mary...Surely this is not a normal family tree??

Thank you very much, all help is very appreciated!!!!!!

Chris

Hi Chris

I also found this death for a George E Hardy but as it is for 1915 I didn't include it in my previous post as I don't think he belongs to your family. You will see he was lost at sea and I just wondered whether there could be a connection as family knowledge can become rather disjointed. (I think HMTB stands for Her Majesty's Torpedo Boats), thankfully there's bound to be someone on this site who will be able to help if it's not.

Overseas registration event: Death

Name:
HARDY, George E
Vessel:
H. M. T. B. No. 12
At sea
Year:
Page:
Age at death:
Record source:
GRO Marine Death Indices (1903 to 1965)
Don't let this get you down, our ancestors did what they could to help in what were very difficult circumstances and probably thought they were protecting the children, my mum is revealing quite a few things now as her recent memory becomes less.

Only yesterday she told me of a mother who had died in childbirth in her street, this was just before WW2, and all of the remaining children went to live with "Aunties" in the vicinity to keep the family together and each Sunday they would all go and visit their dad "with their hair fixed to their heads" - her words, who had to board at a house on his own just to keep his job. Mum said if this didn't happen then the children would go into homes and the family would be split up.

bewdley

I honestly believe that dad thought George was a King like him, (until he found out he was adopted but still thought his name was King), so if George was also adopted did he know it and is this why he was so understanding when dad found out and said that to him they would always be brothers. Then the question, why was dad told George was lost at sea? Dad married mom in 1943, mom moved to White Road, where my brothers, sister and myself were born, but we visited Gran at Ladypool Road, but I think Francis King left around 1945? Dad stayed on after the war for a while, so I can see how he never found the thruth there was nobody to ask, and what was George told if he survived the war? I am confused at present and trying to sort my head out, plus find out today also dads mother isn't Mary and will have to wait to try to find more out about his mother. I thank everyone for their help and kindness, a I would never have understood what was happening, without your help and advice. I hope there are some Hardy's out there who could shed some light, and why was he told the wrong name for his mother I know he was told Mary Mead that was imprinted on my mind? Once again I thank you all for your kindness and time you have spent helping me, Many thanks, Chris

Hi I have got my dad's birth certificate and now I am even more confused. His birth name was as I thought just Stanley Mead, born at 99 Dudley Road which I assume is the workhouse.

His mother was Dorothy Mead, (that was a shock) a Paper Makers Clerk of 56 Chattaway Street, Birmingham UD

I found a Dorothy May Mead born 1911 (too young) who ironically married and became Pritchard. She lived next door to us in the 1970s-early 80s in Small Heath and we were very close. How strange is that!!!!! I even thought of her the moment I read the name Dorothy.

I found a Dorothy Mead Born 1903 a more suitable age but I am now completely stuck. Even 56 Chattaway Street has new houses. I did find this address in 1891 as U which I take unoccupied? If you can offer me any help at all I will be most grateful, as I feel I am back where I started. Thanks for any help you can offer
Chris

In 1920 56 Chattaway street was occupied by a Gersham Taylor and in 1922 by the Jones family,none of which help,I know!!!

Thanks very much, in a way it does help, because I was hoping it was a Mead Family there. It looks like it might be a private address, not her place of work. Dorothy Mead gave this address as her occupation as a Paper Makers Clerk, but this might not be so, so yes you have been of great help as the information she has given may not be correct, so thank you very much for your help, Best wishes

Chris

Birmingham Union Infirmary was built c1889 to the west of the workhouse and became Dudley Road Hospital c1922.
I think the infirmary and the workhouse were seperate as the workhouse address was generally Western Rd.
Dorothy may have lodged at Chattaway St and she was employed as a Paper Makers Clerk at a manufacturers locally?

Hi Chris

I’m not absolutely certain (best to get certificates to confirm) but I think I may have found your Dorothy. If this is correct she was born circa 1898 in Stewkley, Buckinghamshire.

Working my way back from the address you have on Stanley’s Birth certificate of 56 Chattaway Street, Birmingham where Gersham M Taylor lived with Florence May Taylor I found a marriage between Florence May Mead and Gershom M Taylor Kings Norton 6d 19 June quarter 1913.

Then I found the 1911 census for Florence May Mead born 1893 Stewkley Bucks
RG14PN8966 RG78PN474 RD177 SD1 ED9 SN14
Enum. District:
Address:
18 North St Leighton Buzzard
County:
Bedfordshire

Name
Relation
Condition/
Yrs married

Sex
Occupation
Where Born
MACARTHUR, James
Head
Married
M
Veterinary Surgeon
Sligo Ireland
MACARTHUR, Ada
Wife
Married
12 years
F
Catford Kent
MACARTHUR, Alexander
Son
F
Southampton Essex
MACARTHUR, Betty
Daughter
F
Southampton Essex
WOOLF, May
Visitor
Single
F
Catford Kent
FRANKLIN, Valentine
Nephew
Single
M
Veterinary Surgeon
Banbury Oxfordshire
CHAPPEL, May
Servant
Single
F
Cook Domestic
Stewkley Bucks
MEAD, Florence May
Servant
Single
F
General Servant
Stewkley Bucks

The 1911 Census for Gershom Taylor has his surname incorrectly transcribed on FMP (have corrected) as Radford. He was a visitor at his uncle’s home in South St Leighton Buzzard so presumably this is where they met.
RG14PN8965 RG78PN474 RD177 SD1 ED8 SN293
Reg. District:
Leighton Buzzard
Sub District:
Leighton Buzzard
Parish:
Leighton Buzzard
Enum. District:
Address:
83 South Street Leighton Buzzard
County:
Bedfordshire

Name
Relation
Condition/
Yrs married

Sex
Occupation
Where Born
RADFORD, William
Head
Married
M
Iron Moulder
Aylesbury Bucks
RADFORD, Louisa
Wife
Married
26 years
F
Harbourne Staffs
RADFORD, Gershom
Nephew
Single
M
Blacksmith's Striker
Northfield Worces
RADFORD, Margaret
Daughter
Single
F
School Teacher
Leighton Buzz Beds
RADFORD, Ethel
Daughter
Single
F
Domestic Nursemaid
Hornchurch Essex

Hoping to find a connection between Florence and Dorothy I checked the 1901 census and found them living with their parents in Stewkley. Dorothy was born in 1898 making her 23 years old when she gave birth to Stanley.

[h=4]1901 census transcription details for: High Street, Stewkley[/h]National Archive Reference:
RG number:
RG13
Piece:
Folio:
Page:
Reg. District:
Winslow
Sub District:
Winslow
Parish:
Stewkley
Enum. District:
Ecclesiastical District:
Stewkley
City/Municipal Borough:
Address:
High Street, Stewkley
County:
Buckinghamshire

Name
Relation
Condition
Sex
Occupation , Disability
Where Born
MEAD, William
Head
Married
M
Farmer (Wes Local Preacher)
Stewkley, Buckinghamshire
MEAD, Emma
Wife
Married
F
MEAD, Florence Mary
Daughter
F
Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire
MEAD, Ethel Kate
Daughter
F
MEAD, Percival Wm
Son
M
MEAD, Dorothy Emma
Daughter
F
MEAD, Lizzie
Daughter
F

Dorothy Emma Mead was born Dec quarter 1897 Winslow, Buckinghamshire 3A 793.

There are too many marriages for Dorothy E Mead to be able to narrow it down, but you do have her father’s name and occupation, which will help you should you want to find out whether she went on and married after 1921.

Florence and Gershom Taylors’ last address on the Electoral Roll is 337 Stonehouse Lane,
Weoley Ward in 1960.

Gershom Marriott Taylor was born 10 April 1889 in Northfield and died Bromsgrove 29 0057 Dec quarter 1979 AGED 90

Florence May (Mary) Mead was born Dec quarter 1891 Leighton Buzzard Bedfordshire 3B 404

There are 2 deaths that I found which could fit Florence, but there may be more -
Florence M Taylor March quarter 1963 age at death 73 Birmingham 9c 898 and
Florence M Taylor March quarter 1960 age at death 69 Birmingham 9c 406

I do hope this is correct and it helps you to go on and discover why Stanley was brought up by Florence and Francis King, in the meantime I will keep on looking too.
bewdley

Last edited:
Here is 1911 census for Dorothy E Mead

RG14PN7961 RG78PN400 RD147 SD1 ED9 SN94
Winslow
Winslow
Stewkley
The Laurels Stewkley Leighton Buzzard
Buckinghamshire

Reg. District:
Sub District:
Parish:
Enum. District:
Address:
County:
MEAD, WilliamHeadMarried M511860FarmerBucks Stewkley
MEAD, EmmaWifeMarried
20 years
F461865Bucks Stewkley
MEAD, Percival WSonSingle M151896Working On FarmBucks Stewkley
MEAD, Dorothy EDaughter F131898At SchoolBucks Stewkley
MEAD, LizzieDaughter F111900At SchoolBucks Stewkley
MEAD, LouieDaughter F81903At SchoolBucks Stewkley
SYRATT, ThomasBoarderWidower M701841InvalidBucks Stewkley

NameRelationCondition/
Yrs marriedSexAgeBirth YearOccupationWhere Born

Last edited:
Thankyou very much, this Dorothy is definitely a far more suitable age. She would be around 23 when my dad was born.
Once again I thankyou
Best wishes
Chris

Wow, thankyou very much you have managed to make connections I never could have. I cannot tell you how grateful I am. In my previous reply to you I had not seen all of your hard work (I am still learning). This is wonderful news!!
Best Wishes

Chris

ladylinda, would you be able to check the Electorals for George and Eliza Mead please, they were in Tillingham Street in 1911 with a daughter Mary, but I couldnt find them in the kellys I have after that.

George Mead was from Gottingen, Germany, born 1843. His real name was Alexander Mede. In 1863 he joined the SS Hansa, a German emigrant ship, as crew and sailed to New York. There he jumped ship on 24 September 1863, the day the Russian Imperial Fleet sailed into New York Harbour.

Nothing is then known about him until he appears on the 1871 census in Birmingham. In September 1872 he married Eliza Jane Fisher and their first daughter was born 6 months later - it was a shotgun wedding! They went on to have 8 children in total. George then appears on every census until 1911, although his name changes over time - at one point he is George ALexander Adolphus Mead - as does his immigration status. He claims to be naturalised British or British by parentage but this is all a fiction. He is still listed as a deserter and needs to throw the authorities off the scent.

In 1914 he is forced to register at Steelhouse Lane Police Station as n enemy alien under WW! wartime legislation - I have a copy of the Birmingham list of enemy aliens from the recently released Home Office papers. He died in 1922, aged 79.

I would love to know more about his life in NYC between 1863 and 1871 (?), and also his life in Birmingham. Why did he move to Birmingham? How did he get there? etc etc

Would love to hear from anyone who has any info.

Thanks

Alexander
(Yes, I'm named after him!)

Alexander
Interesting information this. I am a volunteer for West Midlands Police museum and we have recently opened up the former 'Lock Up' in Steelhouse Lane to the public as it is no longer in use. I have read a newspaper article stating that 50 'Aliens' were detained at the 'Lock Up' before being moved out to another location. I do not have the names of these 50 but it is possible that George Mead was one of them. Do you have any documentation that links him to the former police station?

Steve R

Alexander
Interesting information this. I am a volunteer for West Midlands Police museum and we have recently opened up the former 'Lock Up' in Steelhouse Lane to the public as it is no longer in use. I have read a newspaper article stating that 50 'Aliens' were detained at the 'Lock Up' before being moved out to another location. I do not have the names of these 50 but it is possible that George Mead was one of them. Do you have any documentation that links him to the former police station?

Steve R
Hi Steve

Many thanks for your reply and how interesting you are volunteering for the West Midlands Police museum. I grew up in Showell Green Lane! I had been intending to contact someone there to find out whether the Museum holds any records of WW1 Enemy Aliens - maybe even counterparts of ID cards - but as we're now in touch you may have saved me a job!

The Home Office document I have is numbered H144/11720, available to view either at Kew or on www.findmypast.com. It's a long file. Pages 119-122A list all Germans living in Birmingham who were certified as Enemy Aliens but not interned. George (Alexander) was classified as Class 2, meaning he wa exempt from internment on the basis of Age or Infirmity - my feeling is that if anyone had rumbled his somewhat crooked past he may not have left the Steelhouse Lane that day!. Birmingham cases are listed in the "Country" section of the file, which starts on Page 71 and lists non-interned German males by county.

Page 197 onwards has lists of German males in London and the Country who were interned. It is my understanding that these records are incomplete - it would be interesting to know if there are 50 males listed for Birmingham who would tie up with the 50 Aliens referred to in the newspaper article.

Communicating on hre is rather clunky - please feel free to email me at [email protected].

BW

Alexander

When my dad went to enlist WW2, he asked his dad for his papers. His dad would not give them to him and said he would go with him. His dad showed the papers and talked to the person, looking at dad and nodding etc. Dad asked what was going on and eventually found out that he had been adopted, born at Dudley Road Hospital and his mother's name was Mary Mead. He enlisted as Stanley Patrick King, his army papers said Stanley Philip King, the name he stayed with all his life. He never had a clue he was adopted up until then. His brother said that he did not care dad was adopted they would always be brothers, he was lost at sea ww2. Dad was born Stanley Mead, always called Stanley King, not knowing he was really a Mead, I found out earlier this year, I felt hurt myself. I saw a likeness on photos of my dad with his dad and with his brother, who I still class as an uncle. Any help with the King or Mead Will be greatly appreciated, Thanks, Chris
Hello Chris

I hope the following information might help you. Mary Mead was the daughter of George Alexander Adolphus Mead, who was German, and Eliza Mead (nee Fisher). Mary was born in 1887. She married Alfred Hubbard in, I believe, 1921 (I have yet to find the record of their marriage), and their daughter, Kathleen May Hubbard, was born 01.03.22. Do these dates help with the nystery of your dad?

If you are on Ancestry.co.uk, please search for Mead family tree where I have placed a lot of information about the Mead family and their descendants.

Back