• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution
Hi Viv, Two Master Brummie is correct the picture of the Steamer is located at Lingard Street as verified by a member of the WMFS Heritage Group comparing the railings with a picture they had of Lingard Street. They even found Station Officer Lewis Allen living at the Upper Priory Fire Station.

Aggie,
at least those gentlemen in your post do look like British firemen, particularly with their lancer style tunics. I was issued with tow lancer style jackets when I joined the fire service, they were replaced in the mid 1970's, in the brigade where I lived, with a newer style without shiny buttons and epaulettes.
However, we kept the better of the two for weddings, funerals and certain other ceremonial uses.

Thanks aggie. Glad it's confirmed. Maybe the uniforms in #28 photo aren't too smart simply because they're working on engines all day. Assume it was a very oily job. Viv.

Fine body of men at Lingard Street

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170714-094539.jpg
    Screenshot_20170714-094539.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Re image #40. Why are the two officers in the middle wearing single-breasted jackets while the other officers are wearing double-breasted jackets ? Seniority ? Or different jobs ? The two in the middle also have medals.

Great photos Aggie. Viv.

I suggest - and that is how most official pictures of a group of uniformed people usually appear - is that the two are officers. I am not sure what the rank names were in those times but if you look at their shoulders the have rank insignia - usually metal in addition to the brigade epaulettes.
These were the older brass (or cromed) versions:
The smaller pic is the replacement type. Nowadays they are usually a woven, rather than metal type.
images
upload_2017-11-7_18-16-25.jpeg

On the Fire Ground possibly Harris & Sheldon Shop Fitters 1960's

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170917-223938.jpg
    Screenshot_20170917-223938.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 47
A 1935 Leyland Birmingham Fire Brigade truck photographed in 1980 at a Brighton rally. Viv.

image.jpeg

Saw this at Sherburn in Elmitt airfield near Selby Yorkshire 3 1/2 years ago.
It was for sale and was very tempted, but where to keep it?
Asked at Wythall transport museum, but told there was no room. Shame really as it was ex Redditch fire brigade.
Would have been bringing it home.

I was stationed at Redditch late 60s and that vintage machine was stored on the Station but I don't know what happened to it after that. Nice to know it's still going strong

A little detail about the fire engine in post 50.
It is a Leyland 'Tiger' model pump escape (has a pump for water and the wheeled ladder is known as an escape ladder) and was built in 1940. It had an open compartment for the crew rather than the more usual, at the time, crew seating along the sides and strapping themselves to safety rails.
Good to know it still exists.

Last edited:
Three more postcards (from eBay). The one shows an engine from 1700 compared with a 1910 engine. But no other dates with the other two cards. Think they were probably all taken at the same time. Viv.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The West midlands Fire Station Twitter group has the picture below as the Upper Priory fire station, Birmingham 1914. which looks very similar.
upper priory fire station 1914.jpg

Thanks Mike. Seem to also remember seeing somewhere photos of Chief Officer Tozer's funeral - was a big affair. But not necessarily connected with these photos. Viv.

4AA1DBD500000578-5553879-image-m-26_1522239994402.jpg

1912. The new turntable ladder for Birmingham, as reported in today's Daily Mail.
Tall training/drill towers also served as hose dryers.. Wet hoses were hung, usually in the central core, to drip dry.

An interesting auxiliary vehicle used by Birmingham Fire Brigade in the 1920s. Viv.

image.jpeg

Chain escape in 1929. Think this is a great idea. Doesn't seem to have caught on though. Viv.

image.jpeg

There were many contrivances over time for assisting people to escape from their homes: most apparently involved some kind of lowering device.
These type of things were still in use in many rural areas where the local fire brigade - often a voluntary affair - was some distance away.

Back