• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Rathbone Family

Charlie’s son

Hi all. I am looking for any information or interesting facts about my father Charles Rathbone born in Garrison Lane. Dad had national service RAOC. He married Barbara Garland from Ashted row in 58. I have spoken with Dorcas Hendershott who has a mass of info about the Rathbones.
I have very recently met 3 family members in the same work place one of whom sat 20 yards away from me. The other shares my name and birth year. Small world!! Dad often mentioned a Georgie Lea, Taronie and Billy Taylor our god father. He went Ada road school or Tilton road school. A life long Blues fan.
Dorcas also shares the opinion that “old lady Harper” who sold winkles and cockles was my Dads nan. Lot’s of things were often known but not spoken of in years gone by.
Any info would be gratefully received take care all and merry Xmas.

I assume you have all the usual Ancestry material and are looking for other info. Wonder if the Taroni is connected to the scrap metal people?

Yes I’ve gleaned most info from Dorcas to be honest. Dad and I think his name was Jack Taroni were good friends. We met him in Tewkesbury once he came walking a long the river bank and recognised Dad. They had loads to catch up on for quite some time.
They used to fill carts on the railway with rags and tat. They used to part fill them with stone to bulk them out then put the rags or tat on top.
Dad’s father died of consumption when he was 11. Being the eldest of a family of 8 he was relied on heavily to find money / food. Dad often remarked there where no “Good old days.“
What I would love to find are Photos. Maybe even old school friends.
Kind regards
Charlie’s son

Back