• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

tower ball room

I had no trouble with the Doormen I was as large as them I've shrunk since:D

I know you said that tongue in cheek Alfie boy because you know a good little-un is as good as good big-un.

I was part of the trio ( The Millionaires) fresh out of school (18)playing on the revolving stage 1970 for about 2 years, Bobby Johnsons Big Band on the other side.Palm trees around the dance floor and it was the time of the 3 day working week with regular power cuts but the ballroom had its own generators for power except for the stage which had to be manually push by some band members, what a laugh. Quickly learned about life there, the stories I could tell. The manager was from London,forgot his name a smallish blond bloke who was pretty strict about hair length and the volume we played especially on Teusdays and Thursdays when it was strictly come dancing nights. Wednesdays were over 30's and Saturday was the night where it was rammed with people. As time rolls on I would love to see if anyone has pictures of that time,probably not. Mostly happy days and a learning curve for life, any questions just ask, cheers.

I used to go dancing at the towe, in the late 50s & 60s i remember one of the bands was the the cliff deeley. Band my cousin was one of the singers. Many happy times there.

Last edited:
Yes I remember the Tower well, also in the 50/60's era, my late Wife and I both loved ballroom dancing especially the exotic tango, I do not think they were licenced in those days, just soft drinks, did not spoil our enjoyment in the least. We first met at a dance hall, the Masque Ballroom in Walford Rd I think (No.8 Inner Circle route from Aston Cross). Happy days. Eric

Hi All,
Ah! the Tower Ballroom is where my wife and I had our first date. I met her at my friends 21st birthday party in November 1948. I fancied her but made no moves at the time, then just before Christmas 1949 my friend suggested that we went with his girlfriend and himself to the Tower ballroom on Christmas Eve. I did not need to be asked twice and our relationship developed from then on. We married in March 1950 with Dennis, who had brought us together, as Best Man. Ironically he and his girl friend never married, each other that is. Having said all that the Tower was not our favourite ballroom. We preferred the West End and local venues in Aston.
Old Boy

I also met my wife at The Tower, I started work there as a doorman and she worked in the kiosk in the foyer.

Where else did you frequent at that time ?

There was another place by a lake which I can't for the life of me remember. I left Birmingham when I was 21 so I barely find my way round it let alone recall some of these places now. David Q

Last edited by a moderator:
The Carlton in Erdington, frequently. I saw a reference to the Plaza in Rookery Road, Handsworth earlier - I seem to recall going there. There was another place by a lake which I can't for the life of me remember. I left Birmingham when I was 21 so I barely find my way round it let alone recall some of these places now. David Q

Was it the Tower Ballroom Edgbaston ?

Yes, the Tower Ballroom Edgbaston was shut for years, however, I think it reopened not so long ago.

That's it! The Tower - I googled some of the old black & white pics of it and recognized the interior. Thanks William.

This is a big plea for “help” and I hope someone will be able to help with this.
My late father played in a band at the Tower Ballroom in Birmingham and he played there around 1965 to 1968. He played sax and the band’s lead singer was a fabulous singer who sounded like Otis Redding. Dock of the Bay was always popular. My dad died, I’ve lost touch with the singer and can’t remember the name of the band. Does this ring a bell with all you Tower fans past and present out there? I’d really love to revive this memory of my dad. The band members were black.

Last edited:
I used to go dancing at the towe, in the late 50s & 60s i remember one of the bands was the the cliff deeley. Band my cousin was one of the singers. Many happy times there.
Hi Sheilr, my dad had a band and he played sax in the band at the Tower. The lead singer sounded like Otis Redding, especially singing Dock of the Bay. The band members were black. In 1965 when I was 13 my mum used to sneak me in to listen to them play. I’m trying to revive that memory of my dad but can’t remember the name of the band. Does any of this ring a bell with you? Thanks

This is a big plea for “help” and I hope someone will be able to help with this.
My late father played in a band at the Tower Ballroom in Birmingham and he played there around 1965 to 1968. He played sax and the band’s lead singer was a fabulous singer who sounded like Otis Redding. Dock of the Bay was always popular. My dad died, I’ve lost touch with the singer and can’t remember the name of the band. Does this ring a bell with all you Tower fans past and present out there? I’d really love to revive this memory of my dad. The band members were black.
Try Bobby Johnson as the band leader throughout the very late sixty's and seventies, he and a couple of different Male singers one of which was Peter Charles in the mid seventies.

So Sad that the Tower ballroom at the reservoir is now due to be demolished and replaced by housing. Doubt that housing will be social more likely to be private. Any thoughts?

thanks for that info jan...the sea cadets were there yesterday when i popped over to take some last photographs...very sad to see this very old building go...yet another piece of brum history raised to the ground

lyn

Back