• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Broad Street

broad st. crown 1984.jpg
The Crown on Broad Street.
Never mind how nice and clean the pub looks, what about all the traffic.

The closest church is still standing. Built in 1848-9 as a Presbyterian Church but adopted in 1929 as a Second Church of the Christ Scientist. I believe that it is now a nightclub, Flares? Dave.

Hello Farmerdave, this could be the church you are talking about.
broad street.. - Copy.jpeg

I was never in the Crown, but the though of crusty, cheese filled rolls reminded me of the time when first in the RAF at a Group HQ. The Malcolm Club (more homely than a NAAFI) used to arrive in their small Austin van around ten thirty each working day with a variety of things. I only ever had the cheese rolls. :)

Im1949BIF-Block.jpg

The Broad Street shop must be one of their branches.

https://www.skf.com/uk/our-company/skf-uk-history/index.html
I notice the ball bearing folk are at Edgbaston House, however that must have gone as a new Edgbaston multi story block, with that name was built.

That's Lee Longlands on the right and the Granville Arms pub on the corner further down., I've turned that corner hundreds of times, left from Sheepcote Street, right into Granville Street, right into Tennant Street and into the back entrance of Watsons showroom.

Is that near where The Figure of Eight (Wetherspoon) and O'Neill's are now (corner of Broad Street and Granville Street).

Photo from 2009.

View attachment 120259

Broad Street in the 80s.
I remember when that floor to ceiling shop window was fitted, it was 3/4" thick plate glass, it quickly became a health hazard, customers wandered around inside and tried to walk through it on the way out, it was funny at first but then one man in a hurry crashed very hard into it and ended up on his knees wondering what hit him
We had to put posters at eye level to stop them.
The side door was back from the road leaving a bit of an alcove in the corner, the drunks used to use it as a toilet, bad enough when it was just a pee but they didn't stop there, Mrs Mac who did the cleaning would "Somebody's left me another parcel." :eek:

Re: post #631, my late wife, before we moved to Dorset and married, was in charge of Helen Parker's school uniform manufacturing division. Joy Dorman in those days - anyone work there? Would be the second half of the 1950s.

Maurice

The City end of Broad Street..jpg
The City end of Broad Street. I wish it was really as tranquil as it looks.

I wish it still looked like that. The roadworks have made such a mess, no flowers, no trees and no statue!! (Safe in storage).
I used to like the massive Christmas trees by my favourite fountain but that has long gone too.
rosie.

Well it was still like that until the years before Arena Central started.

This was in September 2013.

By May 2017 it was like this.

November 2017

Broad Street roadworks for the Midland Metro extension.

Cars have to turn right onto Gas Street. Man in yellow directing them.

Single file traffic near Centenary Square with traffic lights for buses and taxis.

Back