• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

J. W. Evans Silver Factory

I really liked this photo the first time round. And it's good to see it again. First time round I'd assumed the whole of the left-hand building was Evans's factory. But several of the windows have net curtains! So I assume those must have been domestic areas and the 'shop' was around the back. I think there's a sign next door above the alleyway directing you to Evans's. From memory, I think there was a photo showing Evans's having expanded not only into the domestic areas, but into next door too. Viv.

viv its been on my hit list for ages now....really must make the effort next year..

lyn

A modern image of the frontage from Time Out magazine.

image.jpeg

And an old image of the frontage - sorry no date.

image.jpeg

Viv.

for ages now ive been saying i will pay a visit to J W EVANS but its just one of things i have not yet done...much try harder next year:D

lyn

And me Lyn. I notice they have a list of prices,: Members, Adults, children,Concessions - a## exactly the same price, which seems a little unusual. why list them if they are all the same price?

that seems strange mike...i wonder if its an error...as i said i must make more effort its finding the time these days:rolleyes:

That's great Mike. Really enjoyed looking at the link. Doesn't let you walk through doors though ! That closed blue door looked very enticing. Viv.

Look forward to seeing any photos Rosary Boy. I think the factory gives a great insight into Birmingham JQ history. Viv.

Back