• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Maternity Hospital Heathfield Road

hi eky and welcome to the forum...we have been trying for many years to find a photo of this hospital but so far no luck

lyn

i didnt know until today that a friend of mine was also born at this hospital in 1950...still searching for a photo of it...there must be one somewhere

lyn

Thanks for your replies and Astoness, I would love to see a photo as I have been researching my family history on an off since 2005 ish and am drafting my own life history as a lot of friends/family have suggested it as I have been one of things that never happen to people, or once in a life time, although with social media and TV documentaries, there's a realisation of lot of others going similiary events/situations. As I'm now a great-granny and still childminding I hope at least one of my descendants would be interested in my personal book/diary, especially as I have ancestoral photos over 100 years old, and no one in my family understands why I want to know about my long lost ancestors or know their/our history.

Hello
I wonder if you could help. I’m trying to find my time of birth. I was born at Heathfield Road Maternity Hospital in October 1966.
I am trying to find out where all the hospital records are kept.

Regards

Pam
Hospital records following a birth have to be kept for25 years. Unfortunately, you records may have been a long time shredded

I was born there in 1946 and spent the first few months of my life in and out of various hospitals with one thing and another. My mother used to say the conditions at Heathfield Road weren't very good, and she thought this was why I had breathing difficulties at a very early age. Could be. Does anyone know when it closed down? Would it be some time in the late 1960's/early 1970's? My friend says it was demolished very soon after it closed, and there's a school on the site now, I believe.

G

I was born there in 1946 and spent the first few months of my life in and out of various hospitals with one thing and another. My mother used to say the conditions at Heathfield Road weren't very good, and she thought this was why I had breathing difficulties at a very early age. Could be. Does anyone know when it closed down? Would it be some time in the late 1960's/early 1970's? My friend says it was demolished very soon after it closed, and there's a school on the site now, I believe.

G
My sister who lives in the US came to visit us in 1960 with her two children and was pregnant with her third. She was not feeling good so our mom took her to Heathfield Rd because it was close to us. Apparently it was a horror show there both my mother & sister were both very upset. It seems that this was the norm there for many years based upon the thread.

All three of my children were born there in the fifties, it was a bit ' homely'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ref: my earlier post, Mom used to say about Heathfield Maternity that some of the staff gave her the impression that she'd 'done something wrong' - which makes me wonder if it was originally built as a maternity home for unmarried mothers! Anyone know?

G

In 1940 134 Heathfield Road was called the City of Bm Maternity Home, and in 1939 a premature babies block had been built. Back in 1917 it was called the Rescue Maternity Home.

In 1940 134 Heathfield Road was called the City of Bm Maternity Home, and in 1939 a premature babies block had been built. Back in 1917 it was called the Rescue Maternity Home.
I think it was actually Association for the Rescue and Training of Young Women.

It was said in 1916 that Hope Lodge, Heathfield Rd. had been acquired in 1912 by the Association for the Rescue and Training of Young Women. The Association devoted their attention to the care of unmarried mothers and began their work in Ladywood.

However in 1907 the Lady Mayoress opened a new home at Hope Lodge, Ladywood Road. The annual meeting was held and a resolution passed that the name of the society be changed from "Workhouse Magdalen Charity" to the Association for the Rescue and Training of Young Women.

Magdalen Asylum (Home) established 1829 as Home for fallen women and in 1891 was in Clarendon Road, Edgbaston.

Had my first child there in 1967 - it was a nightmare - both my baby & I were treated badly & all I did was cry. They would only allow my husband to sign me out, as I wasn't allowed to (both of us were aged 17yrs) as I was just a woman & told mothers have 2 weeks bed rest after birth & my husband was giving me a hard time as he thought male doctors were examining me - but they were all females. When did it stop being a place for unmarried mothers, as I wasn't married when I told I was pregnant.

Last edited:
Ref: my earlier post, Mom used to say about Heathfield Maternity that some of the staff gave her the impression that she'd 'done something wrong' - which makes me wonder if it was originally built as a maternity home for unmarried mothers! Anyone know?

G
Hello I am new to this forum but I am searching for my birth record from Heathfield maternity hospital. I was wondering if anyone can let me know how I can obtain this record. So the actual recording of my birth with time. Is that possible to get? Thank you. Pawan

Back