• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cowper Street

I'm new member and love the old pics of cowper street I lived facing old plating factory nxt to old coal yard I remember a fire wich spread to factory and an explosion wich blew me out of bed and tyres blasted into air and down to 3 hores shoes inn I early 60,s

hi michael glad you liked the cowper st photos and thanks for your memories of it....would you by any chance be related to john ullah

lyn

I used to live in Cowper street I lived at no 7 we where a large family 7 of us kids my dad worked at radwar motors on Cowper street I went to Cowper street school the name is causer

On the 1911 census my grandparents and six of their children including my mother were living at 10 Burton Place, Cowper Street, which I can see on the map, thank you.
My wife's family (Rogers) lived at 13 Andover Place from 1939 'til 1952. She was born there in 1947.

Last edited:
My wife's family (Rogers) lived at 13 Burton Place from 1939 'til 1952. She was born there in 1947.
hi banjo that is just a little before my time but I will ask my older sister if she knows the name rogers sounds familiar I will get back to you.

my surname is causer we lived opposite the removal company called Yardley's
Hi My friend is Joyce Endsor's daughter and Patty is still around.Carol remembers the Causer family very well what are your sister's name and she asked are any of your family on Facebook?

Hi My friend is Joyce Endsor's daughter and Patty is still around.Carol remembers the Causer family very well what are your sister's name and she asked are any of your family on Facebook?
Hi Irene well first I am blown away after all these years!! there are only me and my younger brother on face book but my brother almost never goes on there . There is not to many of us left now but I will tell you there names young to old Jean past on Margy past on Kathy past on Gillian still around (by the way gill was close friends with I think Patty) . Now the boys, bill, me Reg , john I am looking forward to more conversation I am quite excited gill will be blown away too I don't see her very often as I live in Canada now for the past 30 years ,but I get over there every so often by for now .

Hi Irene well first I am blown away after all these years!! there are only me and my younger brother on face book but my brother almost never goes on there . There is not to many of us left now but I will tell you there names young to old Jean past on Margy past on Kathy past on Gillian still around (by the way gill was close friends with I think Patty) . Now the boys, bill, me Reg , john I am looking forward to more conversation I am quite excited gill will be blown away too I don't see her very often as I live in Canada now for the past 30 years ,but I get over there every so often by for now .
Where do you live in Canada? I'm in Mississauga, Ontario, been here for 51 years. I went to Cowper St School, both infant and junior. I lived in Paddington St, but I remember Radwar Motors & Yardleys...
Dave A

Where do you live in Canada? I'm in Mississauga, Ontario, been here for 51 years. I went to Cowper St School, both infant and junior. I lived in Paddington St, but I remember Radwar Motors & Yardleys...
Dave A
I am living in Saskatchewan Dave been here since 1987 good to here from other brumby's from the old end what a great site.

I am living in Saskatchewan Dave been here since 1987 good to here from other brumby's from the old end what a great site.
Yes it is a great site! How we all got scattered around the globe and managed to meet here. I left Brum in 1956, still have the accent though...proud on it!
Dave A

dave you hang onto that brummie accent...i will not have a paddington st lad losing it...:D:D:D

lyn

thanks for those pics phil..ive saved them...do you know that until i really looked at the map i thought that cowper st ended at summer lane...

cheers

lyn
hi Lyn just wondering are you from cowper st too or close by , just being nosey, hope you don't mind me asking . loving looking at all the pics not many people had cameras in those days mores the pity .

I'm new member and love the old pics of cowper street I lived facing old plating factory nxt to old coal yard I remember a fire wich spread to factory and an explosion wich blew me out of bed and tyres blasted into air and down to 3 hores shoes inn I early 60,s
I remember that explosion it oxy acetylene bottles that blew up I think a fireman was hurt my brother tried to warn them but they told him to move on ,I was quite young then very scary .

This pic is amazing it shows my old house clearly no 7 with the double gates ,one open . there's not many pics of cowper street ,and to see a pic of my old house is amazing great job astoness love it .
Is that Rodway St shown to the left of the photo? I knew the Lawton family that lived on Rodway St, very close to Cowper St.
Dave A

This pic is amazing it shows my old house clearly no 7 with the double gates ,one open . there's not many pics of cowper street ,and to see a pic of my old house is amazing great job astoness love it .

hi cowperkid is this the first time you have seen those photos as they have been here since 2012...if so im so pleased you have caught up with them..as you say there are not many of this street floating around and to have your house showing is wonderful..makes posting them worthwhile...yes i lived very close to cowper st as with dave i was born in paddington st in our nans back to back ...few years back i found some photos of paddington st one showed the entry leading to our nans and the front houses where other members of my family lived...think i wept buckets for days:D:Di had them all printed off in A4 glossy and are my pride and joy

lyn

Last edited:
hi cowperkid is this the first time you have seen those photos as they have been here since 2012...if so im so pleased you have caught up with them..as you say there are not many of this street floating around and to have your house showing is wonderful..makes posting them worthwhile...yes i lived very close to cowper st as with dave i was born in paddington st in our nans back to back ...few years back i found some photos of paddington st one showed the entry leading to our nans and the front houses where other members of my family lived...think i wept buckets for days:D:Di had them all printed off in A4 glossy and are my pride and joy

lyn
Thank you for the reply Lyn , this site gives me a warm fuzzy feeling connecting with the old and simpler days ,you probably remember the very large family I think 16 kids I think there name was pemberton but I think she lost one at birth

Is that Rodway St shown to the left of the photo? I knew the Lawton family that lived on Rodway St, very close to Cowper St.
Dave A
Yes Dave that is Rodway street to the left as kids we didn't call it rodway it was always the dead end lol . I wonder if you knew my older brother bill he joined the army he married a girl from the other side of the street name Vera .

Thank you for the reply Lyn , this site gives me a warm fuzzy feeling connecting with the old and simpler days ,you probably remember the very large family I think 16 kids I think there name was pemberton but I think she lost one at birth

sorry cowper kid i would not know the pemberton family as i left paddington st in 1958/9 when i was about 5 or 6 moving over to villa st...nans little 2 bed back to back was getting too small as by then my brother had come along although we visited nan right up until she was forced out by demolision late 60s......not sure if you have found this thread yet but the photos are little treasures..click on the link below to take you to it...start reading at post 1 as the story behind these photos is very touching..

lyn

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/aston-lozells-witton-photos.38980/

Yes Dave that is Rodway street to the left as kids we didn't call it rodway it was always the dead end lol . I wonder if you knew my older brother bill he joined the army he married a girl from the other side of the street name Vera .
I don't remember knowing anyone from your end of Cowper St. The only kids I knew from Cowper St were on the other side of Summer Lane, across from the school. Age was a major factor regarding who you knew back then. If they were school friends then you only knew kids in your year, unless they lived close by to where you lived.
Dave A

Hi Reg.I have told Carol that you have sent the info on your family she said she will let her family know that you have been in touch.It is great to get in touch with people from down the old end.My Aunt and Uncle lived in Geach St and my dad used to drink in The Geach Arms with his brothers.I love this site and they all do a brilliant job.Irene

Hi Reg.I have told Carol that you have sent the info on your family she said she will let her family know that you have been in touch.It is great to get in touch with people from down the old end.My Aunt and Uncle lived in Geach St and my dad used to drink in The Geach Arms with his brothers.I love this site and they all do a brilliant job.Irene
OK Irene thank you are any of your family on face book

Hi Reg.My family doesn't really bother with Facebook i'm on there and my friend Carol Endsor Mills is.I will try and find you on there.

Back