• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Porchester arms...

hi marie who is who in the photo on post 58? obviously the little girl is you....how lucky you are t have been captured on a phyllis nicklin photo

lyn

Last edited:
hi marie who is who in the photo on post 58? obviously the little girl is you....how lucky you are t have been captured on a phyllis nicklin photo

lyn
the man to the left was my dad the little boy was William my brother , the man on the right is my uncle mick and the boy on the left of me is my friend Michael

we used to jump out of these bed roomed windows, and my friend made a rope swing in one of the old houses hanging from the beams and we used to swing from the window seal , we saw no danger then only fun the beams could have given way and killed us, I loved every minute of my childhood though,

Thank you I find the forum very interesting. I asked my sister because I thought it was her, she says it's me, but looking at another photo of myself up the entry with my mom, I compared it to it, the back to back with toilets and wash house. We always roamed the street in them days. That's what we did in them days made our own entertainment. I remember playing with Christine Fisher her brothers were Donald forgot the other. My sisters were older than me Ann and Jean they played with the Doodies, Woods, O'Toole and others. Did you know a lady names Olive she lived at the top end of the st. We all went to Alma school, I didn't attend for long due to the demolition. We moved but came back to the new Newtown which is the old Aston. My mom and dad was Anastasia (Ann) and Allan, 5 children. Thanks again interesting site.

hi Jackie , I remember the fishers, they were one of the last families to leave porchester street. we were running from loft to loft on the old houses and my brother William fell through the roof of the fishers house and landed in the bed on top of them hahahahahahahah xxx

Hi Marie, I'm glad someone remembers the Fishers. Do you remember the other brothers name Donald was one, can't think of the other. I think Christine was older than me. You were definitely a tomboy, so mischievous.

Hi Marie, I'm glad someone remembers the Fishers. Do you remember the other brothers name Donald was one, can't think of the other. I think Christine was older than me. You were definitely a tomboy, so mischievous.

Hi Jackie, I cant remember the other names I remember Donald and Christine , I will ask my sister alice, I remember the doodies and another family , cant remember the surname, the sisters were silvia and yvonne got it yates, xx

Just found this thread.

Cornelius Johnson a widower, married my Great Great Aunt Mary Ann Crompton in 1870.

On the 1871 census they were living at the Porchester Arms. Living there with them was my Great Great Aunt’s son from a previous marriage, Robert James Moile and Cornelius’s children, George, William, John and Mary. Later Mary married Robert John Moile.

They were still there in 1881. Cornelius was the licensee but also listed as a wheelwright and coach builder.

In 1891 they were retired and living in Yardley

nice bit of info for you mike and you have a photo of the pub as well...just goes to show we never stop finding out about our rellies..

lyn

no it was alma street i was born in porchester street, and the gully at the back of the pub was alma gully leading to alma street school. many a time we went down there with the go carts, we were the last house to be standing when they knocked them all down
I think the Fishers were our next door neighbours

Back