• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Elan Valley and its Pipeline into Birmingham.

elan 3 001.jpg

This very interesting article was in the Evening Mail a few months ago.

Chamberlain was indeed a great city leader, and responsible for many improvements, and was certainly concerned with the sanitary conditions. He compulsory purchased the Waterworks of Birmingham in 1876. But can he be credited with “an extraordinary plan to help combat the insanitary conditions causing ill-health by harvesting fresh water from Wales?”

As far as I can see Chamberlain was elected to the Council in November 1869, and elected as mayor in 1873. But he moved on to become MP and be concerned with national politics . Yes, he would lead the campaign in 1892 for passing the Act of Parliament that allowed the plan to start work at the Elan Valley in 1897.

In 1871 the Corporation, probably headed by Chamberlain, were concerned with sanitation and were looking for water supplies. A plan was put before them from Sir Robert Rawlinson recommending that waters be taken from the rivers Elan and Claerwen at an elevation of 900ft, and to be brought to Birmingham by conduit. The plan, being ahead of its time and expensive, was not taken up. Back in 1845 Rawlinson had devised a plan for Liverpool to take waters from Lake Bala, which had not been taken up for the same reason.

Very interesting Jim. Not sure about the the last sentence though. To me, at least, an aquaduct cannot be below ground. I have always thought of it below ground as being a pipeline

water b.jpeg

water A.jpeg
This very interesting article was in todays Evening Mail. Having travelled to Cross Hands in S. Wale a number of times since this project started, and seeing, albeit briefly the route it was taking and some of the excavations I perhaps hve more interest than others. Rhayader and The Elan Valley have always been on interest for me and it started after an overnight school trip about 65 years ago. When I visited my old friend Bob, now deceased I would occasionally make a detour to Rhayader stop for a coffee and purchase a few Welch cakes to bring home.

The workers at the aqu for the opening.jpg

The Elan Valley workers attend the opening of the aqueduct to start the supply of our fresh water.

The model at Cannon Hill Park of the Elan Valley Reservoir. Dry during the heatwave we had (before the rain).

Noticed in these photos that some of the stonework is missing on one of the "dams".

This one looks ok.

This one looks like a bridge with missing stones above it.

This was how the Elan Valley Reservoir model was like with water in April 2011.

At the time this bridge looked ok (the one that needs repairing in 2018)

Plaque

From the back

I did look at the various pipeline projects that first supplied Frankley and then Bartley Green from the railway perspective and included the findings in the Industrial Railway Society Pocket Book for the West Midlands.

Birmingham water supply apart from the Elan Valley project is a complex subject, including bore holes and pumps and reservoirs.

Opposition to public health schemes were only too common. I am assuming is John Bright as in John Bright Street? The MP John Bright died in 1889

hi mort yes you are correct john bright st was named after the MP john bright

lyn

I had a quick trip out to Elan Valley yesterday. Have to say how splended our indsutrail heritage looks

smashing mort...take it you used your drone:) silly question really as you dont have wings:D

lyn

I had a quick trip out to Elan Valley yesterday. Have to say how splended our indsutrail heritage looks

A lovely example of how modern technology can be used to bring to life our industrial heritage. I just hope that, while acknowledging a great feat of engineering, it is remembered that it was designed by great engineers but actually built by the blood, sweat and tears of working class people.

Back