• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Finding the Downing family

aggyann10

proper brummie kid
I have recently re-joined the BHF. i have been looking through some of my old posts. I put one on about finding my husbands family . His father was dennis ( Dinky) Downing. Dennis had brothers who all had nicknames. Cocker , Popeye and Rolo. Unfortunately i was on holiday when i received an answer from ( cocker's son) i then left the forum for a while As far as i know Dennis also had two sisters Elsie and Ivy. If Cocker's son is still on here or any other member of the Downing family , i would be obliged if you would contact me. I am trying to trace the family history, you may have some useful information.. Many thanks. Eileen ( Terry Downing's wife)

Welcome back aggyann. Hopefully a family member will see your thread and get in touch. Good luck with the research. Viv.

Hi Tassie girl. Welcome to the forum. I suggest you send a message and your email address to aggyann through "Inbox" on the blue bar above (next to your user name) and remove your email contact address from the thread. Much safer that way! Enjoy the forum. Viv.

I have recently re-joined the BHF. i have been looking through some of my old posts. I put one on about finding my husbands family . His father was dennis ( Dinky) Downing. Dennis had brothers who all had nicknames. Cocker , Popeye and Rolo. Unfortunately i was on holiday when i received an answer from ( cocker's son) i then left the forum for a while As far as i know Dennis also had two sisters Elsie and Ivy. If Cocker's son is still on here or any other member of the Downing family , i would be obliged if you would contact me. I am trying to trace the family history, you may have some useful information.. Many thanks. Eileen ( Terry Downing's wife)

Hi I am related to the Downings Dennis was the son of David downing who was half brother to my mother Kathleen Downing. I do know quite a bit About the Downing family and do have some photos. Throw any questions you at me and I will do my best to answer them.

Welcome nimrod. I've added a couple of links between threads so that other interested members see your posts. Good luck with your contacts. Viv.

Hi I may have some information for you. Certainly have some old pictures of David Downing, not very good quality but ok, will have lots of stuff but need to get sorted. Only just started on the forum. Would probably better to swap email addresses I feel more confident posting attachments such as pictures and copy certificates.

Hi I may have some information for you. Certainly have some old pictures of David Downing, not very good quality but ok, will have lots of stuff but need to get sorted. Only just started on the forum. Would probably better to swap email addresses I feel more confident posting attachments such as pictures and copy certificates.
Please find attached photo of David Downing, not best quality but cameras bit duff in those days

Attachments

• David Downing 1897-1954.jpg
    David Downing 1897-1954.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 15
Hi, I am a descendant of the Downing Family. I may be able to help fill in some gaps.
Hi, I am a descendent of the Downing family and always willing to exchange information. There is descendant of the Downing family in Tasmania I am in touch with just wondering if you know her. Don't think I am allowed to name her, just not sure of site rules, only just joined.

Hi, I am a descendent of the Downing family and always willing to exchange information. There is descendant of the Downing family in Tasmania I am in touch with just wondering if you know her. Don't think I am allowed to name her, just not sure of site rules, only just joined.
Hi, it is me!

Hi, it may be worth mentioning that there are differences between birth dates on birth certificates and those given on the 1939 Register. Unfortunately at times the information is only as good as the person providing it and they may at times be guessing. It is better to rely on an actual certificate for hopefully the more correct information. Unfortunately I have found incorrect information given by a grieving parent on a death certificate and an error believed to be made by the reporting officer on a birth certificate. Sometimes it is better to keep an open mind and not dismiss anything until you are certain.

I am looking to communicate with other members or descendants of the Downing family. I am the grandson of David Downing 1868-1956 and Sarah Downing nee Keogh. Lots of information to share with any of the family. I am in contact with a very distant cousin in Tasmania who has been researching for a lot of years and she has been a brilliant because I can only claim to be a novice. Grandad married 3 times and I am descended from his third marriage. Pauline is descended from his first marriage and belongs to the Downing/Haddock line. I know Davids Children for the most part stayed around the Smethwick area, I myself was born in Heath Street Winson Green so was around for Grandads later years. David Downing 1897-1954 lived by us when I was a snotty kid, Annie Elizabeth Downing was his sister and she went to Australia and Pauline in Tasmania is her grand daughter.
Any relatives please get in touch.

Back