• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Our Thoughts For Ger22van (ernie)

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
ernies grandaughter has asked forum members be informed that ernie is no longer able to make anymore posts...a lovely man who enhanced this forum with his knowledge of birmingham especially the duddeston nechells area where he was born and we thank him for his wonderful contributions... sadly ernie is now in the advanced stages of dementia..our thoughts are with ernie and his family at this very difficult time..a time which i am sure some of you can identify with...

lyn x

My thoughts go out to Ernie and also to his family. I know that life has not been to kind to him in his later years and that both he and his wife were more or less confined to mobility scooters because of walking difficulties. Though he never let this dishearten him and he always found time for the forum. Very knowledgeable about all of Birmingham, but especially knowledgeable about the area where both he and I both grew up Nechells, though he had left the area before I arrived there in the early 50's .

We have had many talks about "the old end" and we shared many photos that we came across, I remember how glad he was to happen on a photo of himself when a child outside his or was it a relations house on Coleman Street. I have posted this photo here as a tribute to him.

Nechells Coleman Stree 13 Court bhf.jpg

Thank you Ernie for all you have done. Thoughts are with his family, keep strong. Viv.

A big thank you Ernie for all the effort and knowledge you shared with all of us on the forum..
all thoughts are with you from all BHF members..

My Sincere Thoughts Of You And Your Family Ernie and may God Give You Strengh To Carry On
And I know That we here all of us older members of this great forum will never foret the treasures you have given us of
memories and knowlege you have shared with us on this forum
your memory will never be forgotten best wishes to your wife and emediate family Ernie
best wishes Alan ,, Astonian,,,,,,

I am so very sorry to hear of Ernie's illness. Such a cruel way to end his life and he will be sorely missed on this Forum.
XX

How very sad.
My husbands father was born in Coleman Street in 1910 and Ernie helped us understand what life was like in Coleman Street when he himself lived there ,he was also able to tell us stories about our extended family from Coleman.Lupin and Henry Streets.
Ernie,a proper Brummie and very proud of it.
Alberta.

I never knew Ernie, but may I add my sincere sadness at the news that he is in the late stages of dementia, a terrible disease.

May Ernie's family be given the strength that is needed in these difficult times.

Eddie

I well remember Ernie's posts, particularly on the Gosta Green thread, and the news that he has succumbed to this dreadful disease makes me feel so sad for both Ernie and his family.

Maurice

Back