• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Computer Help Please.

I tried hard to like Edge, even able to get it to look like Chrome, synced it across computers but there always seem to be niggling little problems. It is slow opening the BHF compared to Chrome, I've virtually given up on it. Chrome syncs it's appearance, and bookmarks between iOS, Linux, and Windows, across any computer I use ... for me it just works.

Paul,
Had a further reply from "bfA". I am still getting the zoomed image which will not reduce with Windows10+Edge

I would switch to Chrome it is superior to Edge. If you have lots of bookmarks you can export them into a html file and then import them into Chrome.

I would switch to Chrome it is superior to Edge. If you have lots of bookmarks you can export them into a html file and then import them into Chrome.
I know you are right! At this point in time I get son-in-law involved to sort things out! Jim

Britain from the air now on "Chrome" It works. I have left the rest of my programmes on "Edge" for now. Thanks, again, Phil for your advice.

Last edited:
I notice links on the forum to the previous version of 'britainfromabove' don't work since their upgrade. Edge was supposedly improved in the Win 10 April upgrade but I have not noticed any difference. They are going to improve Edge again in their planned autumn upgrade ... they will get there eventually ...:)

I don’t know if this is the right place for this info, but anyway it may be useful to some who use the later IPhones or IPads.

If you have updated to the latest software upgrade OS 11, you can go to Settings....Safari...Prevent Cross-Site Tracking. When you enable this it does a good job preventing site adverts and the tracking of Google. I have lost the most of the adverts on this site!

I've been thinking about upgrading my iPad to iOS 11 but need to back up to my laptop, I've got no space left on the iCloud for back ups. I'll try that Safari setting and see how it goes although ads on the iPad don't seem to bother me, I just expand the page if one does.

I've been thinking about upgrading my iPad to iOS 11 but need to back up to my laptop, I've got no space left on the iCloud for back ups. I'll try that Safari setting and see how it goes although ads on the iPad don't seem to bother me, I just expand the page if one does.

I should have said that the best thing is that it stops sites from tracking your browsing. For example the other day I was browsing for garden sheds, when I signed in to the BHF the first thing I saw was a shed at Homebase. It also happened on two other sites.

I have checked this out after setting the cross-site tracking and it does not, so far, now occur.

I don’t know if this is the right place for this info, but anyway it may be useful to some who use the later IPhones or IPads.
If you have updated to the latest software upgrade OS 11, you can go to Settings....Safari...Prevent Cross-Site Tracking. When you enable this it does a good job preventing site adverts and the tracking of Google. I have lost the most of the adverts on this site!
Upgraded to iOS11 this morning, usual scramble for account passwords, finger prints checked ok, two factor authentication etc, but all done and looks nice. The 'Safari Prevent Cross-Site Tracking' was already enabled but I mostly use the Chrome browser app which syncs Chrome bookmarks from Win10. BHF adverts show as normal.

I signed up for fibre 2 days ago. On my pc i`m only getting speeds of less than 3mb. On my wifes pc she`s getting over 30 mb. I`m at a loss how to improve the speed on my pc. Can anyone help.? I`ve done all the usual checks including Norton & Malwarebytes.

Hi Smudger, how is your PC connected to the router ... wifi or ethernet cable? It could be either your wifi or ethernet network adaptors is not working properly ... check whether drivers need updating. If you are using Windows 10 try the network troubleshooting tool.

Hi Smudger, how is your PC connected to the router ... wifi or ethernet cable? It could be either your wifi or ethernet network adaptors is not working properly ... check whether drivers need updating. If you are using Windows 10 try the network troubleshooting tool.
I`m using w7, my w10, both via wifi. I was getting around 30mb yesterday & today after doing several speed checks, (one showed a d/l speed of 0.3mb, some of the others up to 4mb) I suppose it could be the network adaptor. My wifes has a usb adaptor, so i might pinch that & see if it makes a difference.

USB adaptors are usually slower than adaptor cards. If you had 30Mbs yesterday and now you do not something has obviously changed. You could try the ethernet cable connection into the router just to see what you get. Is your measuring app giving false results ?

USB adaptors are usually slower than adaptor cards. If you had 30Mbs yesterday and now you do not something has obviously changed. You could try the ethernet cable connection into the router just to see what you get. Is your measuring app giving false results ?
My router is next to the master socket so ethernet cable to pc is not an option. I tried my wifes usb adaptor but windows didn`t recognise it & i can`t find the installation disc. I took my usb adaptor out of a usb2 port & pushed it into a usb3 port & i got a d/l speed of 14mb. I can`t understand why i could get 30mb yesterday but nothing like it today & multiple checks varying from 0.3 to this latest one of 14mb. I`m going to have a bath now & put my thinking cap on.

I would try the cable just as a temporary check to eliminate wifi questions ... if the cable gave you good speeds then the wifi adaptor or how it is operating in your PC is suspect.

I would try the cable just as a temporary check to eliminate wifi questions ... if the cable gave you good speeds then the wifi adaptor or how it is operating in your PC is suspect.
I`ve been in touch with Talktalk about not achieving the guaranteed min speed of 35mb, & they say to give it 10 days from going live & it should settle down to around the 35mb mark. If it doesn`t achieve the 35mb then i might buy a couple of powerline adaptors & connect with rj45 cables. I don`t have a problem with windows collecting my data as i use a vpn most of the time.

VPN can be useful but has drawbacks. For instance Amazon will tell you they do not deliver wherever you have chosen to be. Some important web sites will also question your identity if they feel you may be a hacker or similar.

VPN can be useful but has drawbacks. For instance Amazon will tell you they do not deliver wherever you have chosen to be. Some important web sites will also question your identity if they feel you may be a hacker or similar.
I recently ordered a Steiff dog over the internet + a few things from ebay whilst connected to my vpn via Netherlands, so it hasn`t been a problem (yet)

I`ve been in touch with Talktalk about not achieving the guaranteed min speed of 35mb, & they say to give it 10 days from going live & it should settle down to around the 35mb mark. If it doesn`t achieve the 35mb then i might buy a couple of powerline adaptors & connect with rj45 cables. I don`t have a problem with windows collecting my data as i use a vpn most of the time.
I used some powerline adaptors in my son's Yorkshire house which has 1ft thick stone walls. The ones I bought could use wire connections and wifi, they worked perfectly. What I would want to know in your set up is 'what is the speed at your router' which is what your ISP is responsible for. To do that you need to temporarily run a laptop with a wire connection to the router. I find that speeds do sometimes vary with wifi in the house depending on how the laptop is positioned.
My experience with the '10 day settling down' is it starts fast but as it finds slight interference on the line it slows down but everyone's set up is different!

I understand that with Ebay: there seem to be many foreign (to the UK) places advertising there.
However, I would not place Ebay on my 'important' web site list. :)

I used some powerline adaptors in my son's Yorkshire house which has 1ft thick stone walls. The ones I bought could use wire connections and wifi, they worked perfectly. What I would want to know in your set up is 'what is the speed at your router' which is what your ISP is responsible for. To do that you need to temporarily run a laptop with a wire connection to the router. I find that speeds do sometimes vary with wifi in the house depending on how the laptop is positioned.
My experience with the '10 day settling down' is it starts fast but as it finds slight interference on the line it slows down but everyone's set up is different!
I don`t have a laptop anymore, but Talktalk have assured me that they have checked my line & it is capable of 35/40 mb d/l, which is what my wifes pc is almost getting. I`ve just downloaded a tv show via vpn & it was downloading at 21mbps which is faster than a speed check without vpn! I wonder if the fact that my wife is on w10 & i`m on w7 makes a difference.?speed check 8.JPG This was a speedcheck this morning using "Witch" download tool. Bloody confusing.

I don't think there would be any difference between W7 and W10. I think because your wife is getting the quoted speed the router and line is ok. Your Ping seems high ... does a check on your wife's computer show the same Ping? Check whether the drivers for your wifi adaptors are fully up to date. To use your wifes usb adaptor cannot you download installation data from the web. I use Ookla speed check and results below for my laptop on wifi. I'm about 700 metres from the cabinet.
Captureok.JPG

Last edited:
I don't think there would be any difference between W7 and W10. I think because your wife is getting the quoted speed the router and line is ok. Your Ping seems high ... does a check on your wife's computer show the same Ping? Check whether the drivers for your wifi adaptors are fully up to date. To use your wifes usb adaptor cannot you download installation data from the web. I use Ookla speed check and results below for my laptop on wifi. I'm about 700 metres from the cabinet.
View attachment 119009
My wifes ping was 71ms whereas you can see mine by the attached file. I`m about 300 yards from the cabinet. I`m confused because as you can see, both these speed checks are whilst using vpn via netherlands & they`re not very high, but earlier i downloaded a tv show at 21mbps using the same vpn connection. My neighbour reckons i need a new usb dual band adapter, which i suppose would be cheaper than the powerline option?Speed 1.JPG Speed 2.JPG

Radiorails,. You could be right. I tried logging into Talktalk whilst connected to a vpn & connection failed.

Your upload is now nearly same as mine. I suppose a dual band adaptor gives a choice. I use 5Ghz on my laptop and iPad (which have dual band) to avoid interference but the usual 2.4Ghz is better for penetrating walls. I would sort out your PC's apparent wifi adaptor problems rather than a powerline. Can you fit a wifi card inside your PC ... they are faster than plug in adaptors but get the correct one.
ps... check whether your router is dual band.

Last edited:
Your upload is now nearly same as mine. I suppose a dual band adaptor gives a choice. I use 5Ghz on my laptop and iPad (which have dual band) to avoid interference but the usual 2.4Ghz is better for penetrating walls. I would sort out your PC's apparent wifi adaptor problems rather than a powerline. Can you fit a wifi card inside your PC ... they are faster than plug in adaptors but get the correct one.
ps... check whether your router is dual band.
Can i fit a wifi card into my pc? No, i don`t have the confidence. I will stick with what i have for now & see if things improve. If they don`t then i`ll get a dual band adapter. The wifi adapter in my wifes pc is single band & it`s one i bought many many years ago but it`s still good enough for a 30Mbps speed! My router is dual band.

Two things to try:
Open Command Prompt - run as administrator
Type ipconfig /flushdns (and 'enter')
Type ipconfig /renew (and 'enter')
This will reset all your IP settings which may have become corrupted.

I have BT Infinity and I have just had a speed check, download 50.2 mbps upload 5.66 mbps this is all double Dutch to me but I presume it is satisfactory ? Eric

Back