• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

View attachment 117442
I vaguely remember seeing this before but I can not remember if it was on this forum or somewhere else. It is labelled as one of the very early trolley buses passing workmen who are removing the now unused tram tracks. Could this be in Colmore Row.
I think that bus is on the Nechells route, I have a picture of the same vehicle on Nechells Park Rd in 1922, J.

Think I used to have the odd pint of Guinness in a pub opposite prior to 1961. Am I right if so what was it called.
Cheer Tim
Could have been the Queens Stores corner of Piggot St or The Trees corner of Wheeleys Lane, Both were opposite the Accident Hospital, J.

My only visit to the accident hospital was to visit a friend, he was a Co-op milkman and stepping down from the cart when the horse shied and crushed his leg in the turntable fracturing his femur.
What was of note at the time was that there were a number of police officers in his ward with broken ankles caused by putting their feet down when riding the scooters that they'd been provided with.
I understand that the scooters were quickly withdrawn.

View attachment 117442
I vaguely remember seeing this before but I can not remember if it was on this forum or somewhere else. It is labelled as one of the very early trolley buses passing workmen who are removing the now unused tram tracks. Could this be in Colmore Row.

The bus is on Bloomsbury Street just passing The Turks Head at the junction of Great Lister Street.

Thanks Jonob, can't say as neither strikes a cord. Can only remember (?) that there was a bar upstairs and you could have your drink as you stood and watch the ambulances arrive. This was before the drink/drive times and I even then thought we were maybe a bit stupid. The barman would pull the Guinness and leave it for a while then top it up and make a picture on the froth, I often had a Black Velvet which was a Guinness with a measure of port poured in, just to help keep he cold out.
Cheers Tim

dudley road/heath st..june 1955..my gt gt gt grandad lived in heath st in the 1860s

View attachment 117556

castle square weoley castle...oct 1954

View attachment 117557

stratford road sparkhill....1954

View attachment 117558

dale end from high st...june 1955

View attachment 117559

one of my favourites...soho hill hockley brook...i think the bus is turning out of icknield st...aug 1955

View attachment 117560

monument road..ladywood..nov 1955

crowds gather to see the queen and the duke of edinburgh on their way from kigs edward school to visit lucas at gt hampton st...i wonder if anyones parents maybe on this one or a rellie..

View attachment 117561

I had previously put this pic in the 'Electric Trams' thread and think it is worth linking to it here as it shows a good view of Six Ways, Aston, which was interesting to cycle or drive over with no traffic lights anywhere. A No 6 Perry Barr tram approaches from the city with the No 5 Lozells tram about to be first over the crossing.
index.php

from https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/electric-trams.28642/page-19#post-601669 only visible if logged in.

Were the rules for trams giving way when crossing junctions the same as for car driving? Viv.

Were the rules for trams giving way when crossing junctions the same as for car driving? Viv.
I used to travel across Six Ways several times a week. As far as I remember there were no 'give way' signs and everyone approached it with caution and traffic just seemed to sort it self out. When I cycled across I was more concerned about keeping my front wheels out of tram tracks. On a motorbike I usually turned right into Alma Street and by the time I had a car they were building the underpass.
I've had a pic search in this thread to see if the pic below had been posted but could not find one so here is a linked pic from https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/clocks.45336/#post-552083
The photographer was standing in front of the National Provincial bank.
index.php

Last edited:
Anyone find any info about an accident when the underpasses were being built?
My younger brother rolled his car and made the bricklayers scatter demolishing part of their work somewhere on that route, maybe Birchfield Road.
He was unhurt but the car was an old banger and written off, I don't think he was road legal at the time either.

gpobirmingham.jpg
I remember a similar picture was posted a long time ago but it may not be the same one.

dudley road/heath st..june 1955..my gt gt gt grandad lived in heath st in the 1860s

View attachment 117556

castle square weoley castle...oct 1954

View attachment 117557

stratford road sparkhill....1954

View attachment 117558

dale end from high st...june 1955

View attachment 117559

one of my favourites...soho hill hockley brook...i think the bus is turning out of icknield st...aug 1955

View attachment 117560

monument road..ladywood..nov 1955

crowds gather to see the queen and the duke of edinburgh on their way from kigs edward school to visit lucas at gt hampton st...i wonder if anyones parents maybe on this one or a rellie..

View attachment 117561
Great photos! The photo of Hockley ( 117560 ) shows a lorry in the foreground loaded with acid carboys. My first job in 1961 was in a plating factory in Hampton St, where I would have to unload those straight from the lorry down a plank to the pavement. Makes me shudder now to think how unsafe that was back then. That wouldn't be allowed today. Most times, Health & Safety laws are to be applauded.

View attachment 117442
A post by Phil (5075) 8/9/17: The bus is on Bloomsbury Street just passing The Turks Head at the junction of Great Lister Street

The trolley bus depicted here was purchased for the new Nechells 7 route in November 1922. It was numbered 11 in a initial fleet of twelve buses. Its life was not too long, being withdrawn and broken up in February 1932.

t

Bristol Street in the late 1950s..jpgBristol Street in the late fifties.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back