• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newspapers : Birmingham Papers (usually BhamPost) 150 Years Ago 1867-

Fire at Bradford St factory of bellows manufacturer. J.C.Onions
Americans claim to own most of Leeds. Sounds a bit fishy to me.
Report (in 1867) recommends that where fires are caused by culpable carelessness then the person should be punished. Today the possibility of this still seems uncertain due to the whiles and machinations of politicians .

Fire at J.C Onions , bellows manufacturer.jpg Most of Leeds claimed by americans.jpg Report of fire protection committee.jpg

New Baptist Chapel in Lodge Road.

View attachment 116148

JH Hopkins would probably be the main man in JH Hopkins and Sons, Manufacturers of window blinds and cabinet brassfounders. They had been in Summer Row but later moved to Broard Street, and Granville Street. In 1865 he had laid the foundation for lecture rooms and a school in Cannon Street so he probably had a good collection of silver trowels.

He was Chairman on the Queens Hospital Board and was in favour of free unsectarian education managed by Local Boards. Also deeply in to the religious education of the Colonials.

I don't think there's anything fishy about that Mikejee, it's the way things go with inheritance and with leaseholds.

It is still happening with new build properties which is why the government is talking at the moment of banning new property from being sold on leasehold contracts.

My first house was on a leasehold and the ground belonged to the National Coal Board pension fund, we had to pay ground rent to them, not much, I think about £7.50 a year but all the time the lease was running out, it stood at around forty years remaining when we were given the opportunity to buy the freehold (by McMillan's government) we paid £250 for it which was added to our existing mortgage.

Had the lease been allowed to run out ownership of our house would have passed to the NCB pension fund.

Eric,
Was not referring to the idea of leasehold, but the apparent loss of documents (when presumably any moneys would have been paid over the years), and then their miraculous discovery.
Bu then I do have a suspicious and cynical nature

Nowadays pubs seem to regularly be sold off in order to make more money for the owners than id remaining a pub. In 1967 there are two examples of a pub being advertised for sale because of clay deposits below.
Not sure whether the Free Labour Registartion Society was for the benefit of the owrkers of the management, though I suspect the latter is more likely.
Precursor of city art gallery opened
New completed Sparkbrook church cannot be used till all bills for its construction are paid
new sparkbrook church cannot be used till bills paid.jpg
another potential clay mine.jpg land more valuable as clay mine than as a pub.jpg Free labour registration society.jpg precursor of city art gallery opened.jpg

I think that society was set up by workers and management together to stop the employees from being forced into joining trade unions and paying their subscriptions.
Judging by the 'closed shop' set up in certain industries (If you don't join the union you can't work here.) in the mid twentieth century it probably didn't work too well.

THE NATIONAL FREE LABOUR ASSOCIATION, GEOFFREY ALDERMAN...

“The idea of putting forward free-labour organisations as an alternative to trade unions dated at least from the 1860's. A Free Labour Registration Society existed in London between 1867 and 1869. It boasted of having enrolled 17,000 men and of having broken 26 strikes........One of the inherent weaknesses of these organisations was that they originated in the political beliefs and class sentiments of the Victorian upper classes. More particularly, their appearance coincided with the first signs of revolt by businesbmen, landlords, Whigs, Tories and individualist radicals against the march of democracy and all that that implied for the future of property and privilege in the country.”

https://www.cambridge.org/core/services/aop-cambridge-core/content/view/S0020859000005289

post 260..so time capsules are not a new idea then...fascinating to think one was buried under the stone that was laid..wonder if it was found when the new church was built and if so where is it now..it would be lovely to think that it was rescued along with its contents and placed somewhere safe but i very much doubt it:(

lyn

Report of birmingham Athletic club meeting. I think I observe a hint of sarcasm in the report.
One hears of victorian working hours being very long, but this apparently did not apply to government office staff.
Fir in grocers at corner of Wheeler St & Bridge St.

birmingham athletic club meeting.jpg excise office hours.jpg fire at grocers corner wheeler and bridge st.jpg

Support for female railway carriages, a protection against "monsters in disguise of a gentleman"
In the case here the guy would have been quicker (at that time, with multi-deliveries a day) to send a letter#

follow up to ladies carriages.jpg quicker by letter.jpg

Alfred Bird was not just interested in custard and baking powders, and fireworks, but also in lightening.

observations of lightening by alfred Bird on night 19.8.1867.jpg

This notice must surely have meant, with the phrase "by previous bleeding", that kosher & halal butchers would be liable to a fine

RSPCA notice.jpg

Accident at Patent Tube Co. shows there is some point for health and safety regulations.

accident at patent tube manufactory heneage st.jpg

That is so disgusting Mike - ugh.
Imagine the poor men having to work there too, what would they be boiling the flesh for?

Back