• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

See Birmingham by Post Card

Is the windmill advertising the Cannon Hill tulip festival Pedro? Great photo, lots of tulips in the foreground. Viv.

Is the windmill advertising the Cannon Hill tulip festival Pedro? Great photo, lots of tulips in the foreground. Viv.

Yes, it looks like it, I can see the side letters of the words 'Tulip Festival' in front of the man on the right and the other man on the left is standing in front of a box office window which says 'programmes on sale now'

Does anyone know what the little building in the centre of the PC '1828 was originally please? It had long gone by the time I went to the square.

The directories are not very clear, but it would seem that this is no 38 Edmund St , and around 1895 was occupied by Schäffer,
Hahn & Behrens, merchants. In 1916, by when the firm was in Ludgate Hill and described as hardware expert merchants, it was wound up under the trading with the enemy act (as it was german owned presumably, not necessarily because of any actual trading). there was an appeal, but no evidenc eof the result in the newspaper archives )

1900s.png
My Mom took tree of us into town some Saturdays and we went into the fish market, the market hall and Lewis's.

Thanks Mike, it looks as though it goes back a long way and has several roofs. Do you think it was built by the merchants? It's totally out of character with the other buildings. It may be that those adjacent to it were demolished to make way for the more ornate buildings shown.

The horse drawn transport and horse bus date this as circa 1905 and yet colour photography had not yet been invented and until the mid thirties all colour postcards had in actual fact been black and white photographs that had been carefully hand coloured (mainly by young women) prior to pritingwhich makesthisone a particularly fine card, it is well animated and is a very fine card. I have to ask Stitcher, are you a postcard collector? Certainly you seem to be responsible for posting an excellent selection. And don't these older cards whether coloured or black and white almost works of art, compared with todays bland coloured photographs, lifelesss and seemingly devoid of interest
. They show a building, a hill even a street, but now we omit the cars, the buses and the people. Will the members of BHS in seventy years time look at a picture/postcard printed in 2000 trying to finely date it like we do at the moment and then age not in tens of tears, but in months.

Bob

brumnewst_c_-620x413.jpg
It has reached the point now when I can not remember all the images on the forum and it would be too time consuming to check every time I post so You will have to excuse me if I double up on other members posts.

Anyone suggest a date for the picture of Broad Street?
With the horse drawn bus and no cars whatsoever it has to be 1900-1905/6 I would think. The problem is there are no women in it to date it more precisely from their dresses, hats etc. Centre background is a figure pushing something wheeled, but to indistinct to identify. Whatever date it is a superb card, brilliantly coloured. Once again there is a need to know who the publisher was and are there other versions?

Bob

Don't worry judging from another thread on the forum, most of us cant remember either and lets face it they are all such good and interesting pictures, they are always worth a second look

Bob

AS Bob said they are all monochrome pics hand tinted (have done a bit of that myself), they certainly got carried away with the car colours on the 2nd tinted pic of New Street. Eric

The horse drawn transport and horse bus date this as circa 1905 and yet colour photography had not yet been invented and until the mid thirties all colour postcards had in actual fact been black and white photographs that had been carefully hand coloured (mainly by young women) prior to pritingwhich makesthisone a particularly fine card, it is well animated and is a very fine card. I have to ask Stitcher, are you a postcard collector? Certainly you seem to be responsible for posting an excellent selection. And don't these older cards whether coloured or black and white almost works of art, compared with todays bland coloured photographs, lifelesss and seemingly devoid of interest
. They show a building, a hill even a street, but now we omit the cars, the buses and the people. Will the members of BHS in seventy years time look at a picture/postcard printed in 2000 trying to finely date it like we do at the moment and then age not in tens of tears, but in months.

Bob
Hello Bob, sorry about the delay in replying but I am trying to do to many things at once. To answer your question, no I am not a postcard collector but a number of years ago I was a tourist guide and I saved every picture or postcard image I came across because it was great to take a visitor to a venue or place of interest so they could actually see it and compare it with a picture from the past.

Fascinating Stitcher - and who was Rudolph and why were the natives interested? Any idea of the date? Size 11 is not unusual these days but it would have been when the photo was taken.

Hello Lady P., I have no idea of the dates or other details of many of the pics I post. Quite a few years ago I used to visit a friend (sadly no longer with us) who lived in Cross Hands near Llanelli in S. Wales. I used to do the journey every 3 or 4 weeks starting in spring and ending in the autumn. Because of the hundreds of thousands of miles and hours spent on the motorway system as a lorry driver for many years, I used the A roads and sometimes a few B roads as well. On one trip I diverted into Hay On Wye and asked in a bookshop about any books about old Birmingham. They had none but directed me to another shop. This shop sold me a few books and also gave me a box of leaflets, very damaged books and a vast amount of what I assume to be book pages although a lot of them have never been made into books. I use the ones with most information on them in the past and these with less information are what you could call the dregs.

Hello Lady P., I have no idea of the dates or other details of many of the pics I post. Quite a few years ago I used to visit a friend (sadly no longer with us) who lived in Cross Hands near Llanelli in S. Wales. I used to do the journey every 3 or 4 weeks starting in spring and ending in the autumn. Because of the hundreds of thousands of miles and hours spent on the motorway system as a lorry driver for many years, I used the A roads and sometimes a few B roads as well. On one trip I diverted into Hay On Wye and asked in a bookshop about any books about old Birmingham. They had none but directed me to another shop. This shop sold me a few books and also gave me a box of leaflets, very damaged books and a vast amount of what I assume to be book pages although a lot of them have never been made into books. I use the ones with most information on them in the past and these with less information are what you could call the dregs.

We may find gems amongst the dregs!

Back