• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gosta Green Through Duddeston

Ruth

I remember in about 1961 when Nechells House was still relatively new the company that a couple of friends of mine worked for moved into the premises on the second or third floor on the Adams street side. They were a polishing company "Dunn's" I believe and I spent a day helping to manhandle the polishing mops into the new premises. These is the list of tenants at that time, although I understand that Nechells house opened on November 19th 1957 which if I'm honest sounds early to me. The photo attached is from the Phyllis Nicklin collection.

Necbells house:

Budd Nathaniel & Son 'Ltd. tarpaulin mfrs
Dartmonth Engineering Co. Ltd, tool mkrs
Graveley Terric Studios, air photogsraphy
Lithograve (Birmingham) Ltd. photo lithographers
Hawley & Yates (Dental Depot) Ltd
Brierley Jas. & Sons Ltd. brush mkrs
Dunn W. polisher
Courtney, Pope (Electrical) Ltd
Optical Components Birmingham Ltd. Lens designers
Saloc Jig & Tool Co. Ltd. jigs & fixtures
B. & M. Automatics Ltd.juke box distributors
Dartmouth Amusements (Birmingham) Ltd.amusement machine distributors
Fosco Hayes – Hurdley Ltd. sign mfrs
Model Dressware Ltd. gown mfrs. (Unit 2)

Hi Phil, Thank you for that info. If you can think of anything else please drop me a line. Excellent. Phyllis Nicklin collection is fantastic, I love her photos.

The flatted Factory/Nechells House/Waterlinks House is now a school, I am doing some research about the building for the school. I would love to know as much about the building, other companies that occupied the units anything you can recall, any photos, thank you

Hello Ruth... how fascinating to find out that Nechells House is now a school. I would love to know more about that... what is the name of the school, please.
N. Budd & Son
Unit 14
Nechells House, Richard Street, Birmingham B7 4AA Tel: 021 359 2158

I have just looked in my Family Tree files... I have a very old letter heading (used when at Aston Road) with the Nechells House address on... this was then altered to a more modern letter heading (which I chose for my dad!) I have a copy of this too. Also a Business Card.

I was at Pitman's College, Norfolk House in the Bull Ring in the early 60's but we had no Gym facility there and used Kirl Hall in Sheep Street.. so on those days we were dropped off at Sheep Street or nearby. Budd's had a 13 seater VW works bus which Dad drove... he would pick up his father, Uncle and brother .. drive to Nechells House for the office and Uncle would drive us to school etc.

I did go to the Unit a few times as my mother eventually went to work in the office for dad.

GeorgieG

Hello Ruth... how fascinating to find out that Nechells House is now a school. I would love to know more about that... what is the name of the school, please.
N. Budd & Son
Unit 14
Nechells House, Richard Street, Birmingham B7 4AA Tel: 021 359 2158

I have just looked in my Family Tree files... I have a very old letter heading (used when at Aston Road) with the Nechells House address on... this was then altered to a more modern letter heading (which I chose for my dad!) I have a copy of this too. Also a Business Card.

I was at Pitman's College, Norfolk House in the Bull Ring in the early 60's but we had no Gym facility there and used Kirl Hall in Sheep Street.. so on those days we were dropped off at Sheep Street or nearby. Budd's had a 13 seater VW works bus which Dad drove... he would pick up his father, Uncle and brother .. drive to Nechells House for the office and Uncle would drive us to school etc.

I did go to the Unit a few times as my mother eventually went to work in the office for dad.

GeorgieG
Hi GeorgeG

The school is called King Solomon International Business School, it is a Christian school for all Christian denominations and of course children of no faith. The school opened its doors in September 2015, it delivers education to primary, secondary at the moment and in the future there will be a 6th form and rumours of a nursery for pre-school children. I found some photos of Nechells House on www.architecture.com on completion of the building in 1957. I never knew there were numerous flatted factories built not just in Birmingham but in other areas. Its is exciting that the building was built to house safe units for many business and now the school is a Business School. Also there was Dartmouth St School situated where the current car park stands, the school also owns land on Richard St next to premier Inn, this is currently being used as a temporary school and there are portacabins offices and classrooms whilst Waterlinks House is being refurbished. I know there was also a school situated somewhere on Richard St in a similar or very close position. If you have any further questions, please give me a shout. I am just a normal parent who has interests in local history and wants to build my knowledge, great to chat, thanks in advance

Lyn

As it is an Old Square to Saltley service and I think the tram is at the Saltley tram terminus outside the Carlton theatre at Nechells Place and the photographer was based in Bloomsbury Street although I can't make his name out, but it's in about the best place possible for it in my opinion.

Saltley Carlton Theatre Saltley Rd .jpg

phil i know its not a very clear photo but yes i think you could be right on the location of the tram..thanks

lyn

Phil,

The photographers surname was TWIGG, possibly 201 Bloomsbury Street. Is this any better?

Maurice

Attachments

• Bloomsbury St Nechells.jpg
    Bloomsbury St Nechells.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 23
Maurice

The only Arthur Twigg I could find on Bloomsbury Street was at 291 (could be) during the steam tram era but he was a tobacconist and no mention is made of photography perhaps it was a sideline and not his main business?

Phil,

We can't be 100% sure, but I think it is as good as we are going to get. It was postcard and long before the days of print-on-demand, so at least 5,000 would have been done. That's a lot. Perhaps he sold them or gave them away as a promotional item in his tobacconists shop? I'd like to see the back of the card, but perhaps this image is the usual copy of a copy. One might show up on eBay or Delcampe one day and would be worth bidding for.

Maurice

I wonder if anyone can help me. I'm looking for a shop at 140, Bloomsbury Street, possibly run by William and/or Lavinia Price in the fifties. I don't know when the street was "modernised". Any info would be good, thanks.

Hi Maggieanne

The last entry in the trade directories for 140 Bloomsbury Street is in 1940 and is W K Price Greengrocer. 140 was at the Duddeston End of Bloomsbury Street and that end right up to Great Lister Street was the first end to be demolished and demolition work began in 1950.

Hi Maggieanne

The last entry in the trade directories for 140 Bloomsbury Street is in 1940 and is W K Price Greengrocer. 140 was at the Duddeston End of Bloomsbury Street and that end right up to Great Lister Street was the first end to be demolished and demolition work began in 1950.
Thanks Phil, I knew I could rely on this site for info. I believe he was my uncle, and I'm sure I visited the shop in the fifties but of course, there is no-one in the family that I can ask now. At least that is another piece in the jigsaw of family history. Great site isn't it!

Maggieanne

Of course it's a great site, it's because it has good members and is staffed by good people who's aim is to help people like yourself find out those elusive facts about Birmingham and it's history. If you need to know more never be afraid to ask.

A question for some of the older residents of Nechells, Duddeston or Saltley in the 50s. This photo of the maisonettes being built on what is now called Little Hall Rd displays in the centre background a tower that is highly reminiscent of a pit shaft lift cable winding rig minus the wheel. It looks to be in Devon Street or even the Crawford Street section of the Gas Works I suppose it could be a water tower but they were usually of a more permanent type structure.
Just came across this post and looking at the photo of the flats being built i noticed the question being asked was what could the structure be in the background well when i was working at the gas boards regional transport depot in duddeston mill road their new garage was built on the old gas works site and there was still alot of the old gas plant there and one of the structures was an old over head crane that possibly serve the railway sidings that were there one time it was quite a high sructure , could it be this
phill

Phillbee

I am open to any suggestion as to what it might be. back when I first posted it I racked my brains and so did a few others to no avail at least none that could be proven. Your suggestion according to contemporary maps is in the right place and can be moved thus explaining why it can't be seen in all photos is as good as any we have had up to now. So lets put it in the grade of distinct possibilities until someone can come up with irrefutable proof. Possibly a better image where it can be made out exactly what we are looking at.

Just came across this post and looking at the photo of the flats being built i noticed the question being asked was what could the structure be in the background well when i was working at the gas boards regional transport depot in duddeston mill road their new garage was built on the old gas works site and there was still alot of the old gas plant there and one of the structures was an old over head crane that possibly serve the railway sidings that were there one time it was quite a high sructure , could it be this
phill
Was this the structure which could be seen from Devon Street it was used for loading coal and coke in making also it would have been for the movement of Tar in the works.
The smell used to floor you if you was not from the area, locals used to sit on the front door step and take it in, I've heard said that the local never had nastey bugs I not surprize if it was true

Ray

Unless someone comes up with a better photo where the structure can be seen clearly I'm afraid this is a question that may never be solved to complete satisfaction, though I thought the mobile crane theory the best so far.

this great thread started by GER22VAN (ernie) has now been moved to this section of the forum it was a tad tucked away under the childhood memories section

lyn

Last edited:
A question for some of the older residents of Nechells, Duddeston or Saltley in the 50s. This photo of the maisonettes being built on what is now called Little Hall Rd displays in the centre background a tower that is highly reminiscent of a pit shaft lift cable winding rig minus the wheel. It looks to be in Devon Street or even the Crawford Street section of the Gas Works I suppose it could be a water tower but they were usually of a more permanent type structure.

phill

I think I am answering my own question here, by confirming the suggestion given by philbee, this latest photo gives a view of the overhead crane that is not looking straight side on. Looking at it from the side would give the view that we see in my original post. If I'm wrong it's still a good over the roofs of the new build (gone now) maisonettes on Great Francis Street (Little Hall Road).

Nechells Great Francis Street 1954.JPG

The travelling crane s featured n one of the pics here, but it is not the structure (as far as I gather) under discussion.
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/gallery/the-gas-works-in-birmingham-8571736
The following photo was on Bill Dargues web site with acknowledgements with JKC of this Forum I believe. This is the structure in question. My initial belief was it might be railway connected rather than gasworks. The whole area of gas works Nechells and Saltley is interwoven with a tremendous network of railway lines some of which belonged to
image.jpg

I wonder if anyone can help me. I remember travelling on the number 14 bus into town, on the left hand side was a church with a graveyard which has now gone, and also some single storey shops, on the right hand side, and I think there was a chemist shop there. I remember we got off the bus one day to buy troach drops (do you remember those) and some humbugs I think. I can't find any photos anywhere, I think these building were before you reached the library that was, and I believe still is, on the right.

maggieanne

It sounds to me as of you are talking about St Matthews at the corner of Great Lister Street & Willis Street. This is a photo of the church anther shops on the other side of the road.

St Matthews.jpg Nechells Great Lister Street 1960 (2).jpg

maggieanne

It sounds to me as of you are talking about St Matthews at the corner of Great Lister Street & Willis Street. This is a photo of the church anther shops on the other side of the road.

View attachment 119073 View attachment 119074
Thanks Phil, the shops I remember, I'm sure were single storey, with corrugated iron roofs, trouble is, I'm going back to the early sixties, memories aren't always correct. That may be the church, my view of it was always from the bus. I don't know where the shops were in relation to the church, may have been some distance away.

A corrugated iron roof could suggest a church hall. Many throughout the country were like that, as were many village halls. Small chapels, lovingly known a tin tabernacles, were also of that style construction.

maggieanne

What you are probably remembering, is that a couple of years before they were demolished some of the shops on Great Lister Street had their upper floors removed leaving only the shop premises below. If they were the ones on the photo then being flat roofed I doubt they were corrugated metal. The shops remained like this until they were all demolished well before the mid 60's. This image is dated 1960.

Nechells Great Lister St 1960 x .jpg

maggieanne

What you are probably remembering, is that a couple of years before they were demolished some of the shops on Great Lister Street had their upper floors removed leaving only the shop premises below. If they were the ones on the photo then being flat roofed I doubt they were corrugated metal. The shops remained like this until they were all demolished well before the mid 60's. This image is dated 1960.

View attachment 119096
Ah, that's more like it, they may be the shops I remember, thanks Phil.

maggieanne

View attachment 119096
Phil, remember those shops very well, used to buy coconut icing from the sweet shop.

John

I remember them well also, only my memories consist of trudging down there a on a Saturday carrying my mothers heavy bags of shopping. Looking back now I think they must have been full of potatoes because we could afford little else. John we don't hear from you enough of late.

Back