• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston University

The University did celebrate it's 50th birthday in 2016.

Saw one of the new signs on Holt Street at the weekend (similar to the ones on James Watt Queensway and Jennens Road)

Aston University Library on the 29th February 2016.

A drawing of the building when planned (edit) in 1939 as a Technical College. Viv.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
I was told that they had a lot of problems with the construction, they could not get firm foundations because of running sand. Can anyone else add to this?

I was a student at Birmingham College of Commerce when it moved from Broad Street to Gosta Green in 1962 next door to Birmingham College of Advanced Technology. When the CAT became Aston University we asked why we could not become the Commerce Faculty of Aston University as after all we, as students, had been incorporated into the Aston University Students Union. I think the politics of Academia were against that. After my time, there the College of Commerce became a constituent part of Birmingham Polytechnic and moved to Perry Barr. The building then became the South Block of Aston University. Later I did a course of study at Birmingham Polytechnic just before the Polys were all converted to universities with Birmingham becoming the University of Central England and later Birmingham City University.

All these name changes made it difficult for me to list my qualifications so I have to say Birmingham City University although I never went there.

I was told that they had a lot of problems with the construction, they could not get firm foundations because of running sand. Can anyone else add to this?

Someone told me a long time ago that this was the reason we could not have an Underground system like London.
rosie.

The sub strata was a reason at one time but more modern methods of tunnelling and tunnel wall construction overcame what was seen as problems at earlier times.
In mid 1948 the City Surveyor investigated the possibility of a subterranean railway, similar to London's 'tube' system. This would be a line serving the north eastern part of the city: Perry Barr, Aston, Erdington and Kingstanding. After extensive studies of the London systems (there are more than one, being just sub surface and much deeper (tube)) a scheme for an eleven mile system has been developed. Apparently stations were considered at Aston Cross, Salford Bridge, Erdington High Street, Perry Common, Kingstanding, Perry Barr and Hockley. These stations would be served by trains every ten minutes with a five minute interval at peak times with a fair, on average (at the time of 4d. (2p). It was believed that 57,000 people would use these trains each day.
The projected cost of construction was given as £13.75 million with annual income of £350,000 which coupled with loan charges and operating costs gave the cities transport coffers an annual deficit of £831,800 Needless to say the scheme was abandoned.
This year (1948) was a difficult one for the transport committee. New buses on order (785)were slow in delivery - only 210 being received by July. The Stechford trams would be replaced by buses in October and it was decided that the Moseley Road routes would be next to go. That occurred in October 1949.
Despite a petition for free bus passed for the aged it was not felt necessary and had to wait a few more years.
Actually Birmingham was over 40 years ahead in granting this type of bus pass compared to other areas of the UK.

i know i shall kick myself when this is answered but i cant think of the name of the large building in the distance...to give you a sense of direction the photo was taken in the old newtown row shopping centre...traffic the other side of the carriageway is heading towards the city centre...of course i do know that the building is not in the city centre...well i dont think it is...photos can be deceiving

lyn

factory.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

If you look at the roof of the building there is a distinctive radio mast at each end,
which I believe had some historic significance. Someone told me about it long ago,
and seeing the pic has reminded me of it. Sadly, I can't recall what they were used for -
can anyone refresh my tired old brain?

Kind regards
Dave

It opened in 1966 and was there 50th anniversary in 2016.

But the main building was built in the late 1940s to mid 1950s.

Part of the building was just called Gosta Green college, when I left school in 1967 I applied to do an Art Diploma Course then - there were no degree courses in Art at that time.

Here is an advert for staff in 1959, when it was Birmingham College of Advanced Technology

advert for aston coll technol. new scientist 1959.jpg

Here is an advert for staff in 1959, when it was Birmingham College of Advanced Technology

View attachment 158213
Hi Mike, noticed a few recent posts from you quoting New Scientist magazine. In those days I was regular subscriber. In addition in 1960 I was a day release student at Gosta Green doing HNC chemistry. The company I worked for sponsored a fulltime female research student and a couple of sandwich course students.

Hi Mike, noticed a few recent posts from you quoting New Scientist magazine. In those days I was regular subscriber. In addition in 1960 I was a day release student at Gosta Green doing HNC chemistry. The company I worked for sponsored a fulltime female research student and a couple of sandwich course students.
I've been going through the piles of old magazines I had before sending to recycling. I regularly took it for man years and don't like throwing things away, but eventually it is unfortunately necessary

Back