• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gosta Green Through Duddeston

Remember Taylor Law down opposite the peck. Smiths wire works where they stacked all the coils on the peck and we would use them as dens. My dad worked at Ash and Heaton in Dartmouth street . We lived in Windsor street almost opposite Coleman street . Bersteins the tailors on the corner of Windsor street and gt lister street. Fletchers too ,further up.

I'm quite annoyed with myself over this photo, the reason being I have no memory of this establishment at all. It was on the corner of Vauxhall Rd and Chicheley St in Vauxhall of course. I've looked it up in Kelly's and it is listed as an off sales (the Vauxhall Stores), but it looks very much like a pub to me and it looks way too big to be just an outdoor. Hopefully someone will answer and tell me that it closed down sometime in the mid 50's before I was old enough to start taking notice of pubs.

Attachments

• Vauxhall Chichley St Vauxhall Rd Vauxhall Stores.jpg
    Vauxhall Chichley St Vauxhall Rd Vauxhall Stores.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 45
Either that Phil or on all your visits there you always ended up too inebriated to remember. :)

Come on now, does anyone own up to taking Phil home?

Maurice

Either that Phil or on all your visits there you always ended up too inebriated to remember. :)

Come on now, does anyone own up to taking Phil home?

Maurice

well im not owning up to it maurice it will only get me into trouble lol

must say phil it does have pub look to it..after dinner i will go through a few kellys to try and pin it down unless of course you are sorted by then

Last edited:
Lyn

I think the premises had gone by the end of the 50's in fact I'm pretty sure that by the sixties the whole of that area fro Great Brook St down to Vauxhall Rd had been cleared except for the Ashcroft Estate between Windsor St & Barrack St. In fact I can remember standing on what would have been the old St James graveyard looking down to Vauxhall Rd and all that was in front of me was grass.

It probably explains why I don't remember the Vauxhall Stores, I wasn't old enough to drink there before they demolished it, that's if it was ever indeed a pub and not just an off sales. From the look of it I'm sure it must have been a pub at one time even if it was only a beer house.

Phil.
The 1922 and 1927 electoral rolls liast it as The Hope & Anchor. The electoral rolls are not consistent in naming pubs, but sometimes do. So no idea when it stopped being a pub

Lyn

I think the premises had gone by the end of the 50's in fact I'm pretty sure that by the sixties the whole of that area fro Great Brook St down to Vauxhall Rd had been cleared except for the Ashcroft Estate between Windsor St & Barrack St. In fact I can remember standing on what would have been the old St James graveyard looking down to Vauxhall Rd and all that was in front of me was grass.

It probably explains why I don't remember the Vauxhall Stores, I wasn't old enough to drink there before they demolished it, that's if it was ever indeed a pub and not just an off sales. From the look of it I'm sure it must have been a pub at one time even if it was only a beer house.

phil i checked the 1913 kellys and it was the same lady there as in 1955 again as just a beer retailer no pub name but now i am confused as ive just read mikes post and he says it was the hope and anchor pub...time for sleep i think lol

Lyn
Many pubs which were beerhouses were never listed, other than as beer retailers, in Kellys, at least not pre about 1950. A few (well I came across one some time ago but can't remember which) seem to have turned into an off licence in later years.

Lyn
Many pubs which were beerhouses were never listed, other than as beer retailers, in Kellys, at least not pre about 1950. A few (well I came across one some time ago but can't remember which) seem to have turned into an off licence in later years.

Mike I know that the drinking of beer was encouraged as opposed to the drinking of water at one time because the water at the time could be quite dangerous to drink. The problem was that people also drank gin which the authorities blamed for all manner of crimes. In 1830 the Beerhouse Act was introduced saying that anyone could brew beer and open their own beer house for a yearly fee of 2 guineas but they were limited to selling beer only.

AS you say this pub could very well have opened as a beer house, but in the 1920 when applying for a full licence it was refused. In earlier editions of Kelly's in is listed as a "beer retailer", but in later editions before it disappears it is listed as a "beer retailer (off)" now I haven't seen that before.

GER22VAN,

Ernie if you are still looking in on the forum as I note you haven't posted since last June, I hope you and the wife are well. I know you have looked for a photo of this pub for quite a while without success. I was given it yesterday by Lyn (Astoness) and straight away I thought of you. I know she won't mind me posting it here for you.

The Shepherd & Shepherdess pub on the corner of Heneage Street & Henry Street in Nechells in 1956 which would be shortly before it was demolished I would imagine.

Attachments

• Nechells  Henry St - Heneage St Shepherd & Shepherdess  1956.jpg
    Nechells Henry St - Heneage St Shepherd & Shepherdess 1956.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 53
A question for some of the older residents of Nechells, Duddeston or Saltley in the 50s. This photo of the maisonettes being built on what is now called Little Hall Rd displays in the centre background a tower that is highly reminiscent of a pit shaft lift cable winding rig minus the wheel. It looks to be in Devon Street or even the Crawford Street section of the Gas Works I suppose it could be a water tower but they were usually of a more permanent type structure.

Attachments

• Vauxhall Melvina Rd.jpg
    Vauxhall Melvina Rd.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 59
John

I have also asked the same question elsewhere, and I also included a map that was more or less the same there. What it need is an ex pupil of St Anne's School as they might have an idea as I think they were more or less next door to the tower.

Phil
I can't help from local knowledge, but looking at the map c1950 , the thing that I noticed was the cooling tower (in red). These were often a latticed structure and would seem to fit with your structure

Attachments

• map c 1950 showing Nechells gas works.jpg
    map c 1950 showing Nechells gas works.jpg
    405.8 KB · Views: 32
Mike that's a possibility, though looking at this slightly later image it seems it's being replaced by something else. It's a pity it's not a better photo because it's just a shapeless mass. I wonder if anyone has a better copy of the photo where it is easier to make out what it is that replaced it, it's a possibility that the structure in the first photo was a temporary or even the scaffold for what is pictured here.

Nechells Great Francis St .jpg

Another well remembered location from my childhood the junction of Windsor Street and Ashted Row this was just across the road from the little black cinder patch containing 4 swings and a roundabout that passed for a park at the top end of Francis Street where I lived until 1963.

Looking now at the building that stood there (just opposite the Dog & Partridge) it rankles me that such buildings had to be demolished in the name of progress. Yes all the dirty little narrow backstreets with their back to back slums had to go but could not the planners have been more selective?

Attachments

• Nechells Ashted Row - Windsor St 1961 (2).jpg
    Nechells Ashted Row - Windsor St 1961 (2).jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 50
I think there have been photo's of this road on the forum before, but just look at these buildings. They were demolished within a couple of years of this photo being taken. They were replaced by maisonettes and a shopping precinct with flats on top of the shops. Just how much would those same houses cost today, I would be in the queue to buy one.

Attachments

• Nechells Great Brook Street by Vauxhall Rd.jpg
    Nechells Great Brook Street by Vauxhall Rd.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 56
My Dad ran the family firm: N. Budd & Son Ltd. They were Marquee and Tent people... they had to move from 265/264 Aston Road when it was acquired for Aston Uni... but they also had quite a few workshops in Legge Street, and a store house/yard that I remember very well in Sheep Street.

The office and sewing machines (for sewing the tarpaulin) were at the Flatted Factory..... Georgie
The flatted Factory/Nechells House/Waterlinks House is now a school, I am doing some research about the building for the school. I would love to know as much about the building, other companies that occupied the units anything you can recall, any photos, thank you

I can tell you that a lighting company called Courtney Pope were at the flatted factory in the 1960's .
I was an apprentice with an electrical contractors called Walker Bros. They sent me , in the van , to collect some fittings from there but confused me with the term "Flatted Factory" . I still pass the place all these years later and remember the telling off I got for the misunderstanding.

Ruth

I remember in about 1961 when Nechells House was still relatively new the company that a couple of friends of mine worked for moved into the premises on the second or third floor on the Adams street side. They were a polishing company "Dunn's" I believe and I spent a day helping to manhandle the polishing mops into the new premises. This is the list of tenants at that time, although I understand that Nechells house opened on November 19th 1957 which if I'm honest sounds early to me. The photo attached is from the Phyllis Nicklin collection.

Nechells house:

Budd Nathaniel & Son 'Ltd. tarpaulin mfrs
Dartmonth Engineering Co. Ltd, tool mkrs
Graveley Terric Studios, air photogsraphy
Lithograve (Birmingham) Ltd. photo lithographers
Hawley & Yates (Dental Depot) Ltd
Brierley Jas. & Sons Ltd. brush mkrs
Dunn W. polisher
Courtney, Pope (Electrical) Ltd
Optical Components Birmingham Ltd. Lens designers
Saloc Jig & Tool Co. Ltd. jigs & fixtures
B. & M. Automatics Ltd.juke box distributors
Dartmouth Amusements (Birmingham) Ltd.amusement machine distributors
Fosco Hayes – Hurdley Ltd. sign mfrs
Model Dressware Ltd. gown mfrs. (Unit 2)

Attachments

• Nechells House opened 19-11-57.jpg
    Nechells House opened 19-11-57.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
A grim looking building constructed during the 'cliff face' era of architecture.
Which reminds me of a complaint by a lady flower arranger. She complained about the gulls which nested on her home and many others nearby. They were square structures, many with a flat roof and had been built adjacent to the low cliffs which had once been the gulls home. I did point out that her house had replaced the cliffs. She was not impressed. :D

Last edited:
Back