• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Fantastic, Its Plastic

John Young

master brummie
Take a quick look-around you now :-\ What you,re holding & looking at + All around you, Various Plastics in use.

Another Birmingham Original success, providing "Forward", a quantum leap in Technology & Employment for Many O0

Today,s modern "Plastic" Industry began with a material called "Parkesine" invented circa 1865 by Alexander Parkes
then manufacturors in Birmingham (& Others) making Buttons, Billiard Balls, Cutlery, Soles for shoes etc, etc
It was quite a "Flammable" material & risky for Ladies Hair combs & slides & was improved upon by a Home Office set up
"Celluloid Committee" around 1910,, these improvements reduced "Fire Risk" & made items rigid/flexible
The advent of the Multitudinous "Plastic Industries & Products" as we enjoy today, John Y

Nice one. John.
It's amazing to think how much we take plastics for granted today. They must have used some hairy substances in those early products, like 'bone' knife handles which would burn if you overheated them. And electrical insulation which would burn.
You've given me a lot to think about on this subject. Thanks.
Peter

In the 20's/30's a plastic labled Phenolic was used. Some of the lamps I sell have phenolic in them. It wasn't stable and over the years has turned from white to a very atractive ornage colour. :)

I didn't know it had its roots in Birmingham.

What about Bakelite?
Wasn't that a form of plastic?
It wasn't a British invention but there was a factory in Brum years ago called The Bakelite, at least I think that was the proper name
Our Dad worked there when I was a kid but I don't know to this day what they made
Anybody else know?

Yes Jerry, Bakelite was an early form of Plastic..Roz collects old Phones, from early last century brass candlesticks to the 1950's bakelite style..it's amazing to think there just weren't any in our lives once..

Yo Jerry Mate O0

Bakelite Factory down on Witton Lane produced "Bakelite" board of all sizes for mainly the
Electrical Engineering Industry

The product as Kandor rightly pointed out was a "Plasticized" form of Woods/Resins pressed & cut to size

Used extensively in High Voltage switchgear (Hence factory close to Ellisons - Control Gear Manufacturor)
This wonderful Bakelite could take 33,000 volts no problem,

We still use it today in repairing H V Transformers & Old style Generators,, Great Stuff,, Cheers John Y :)

When I was a kid I used to wag off school and help my brother Tony deliver stuff round Brum with BRS. We used to go almost daily to the Bakelite factory at Tyseley I think. They had a strange looking building at the time, that I was told was made from Plastic.

https://www.plastiquarian.com/swinburne.htm thought you might find this of interest

Rod you just answered my next question
The factory that JY told us about in Witton couldn't have been the one where our dad worked, we lived in Small Heath at the time and it would have been too far so he must have worked at the one in Tyseley.
So another question
What did they make?

Yo Lads,,ROD correct, the Main "Bakelite" factory up in Tyseley as you stated,
The smaller section of Ellison Switchgear Manufacturor in Witton had a "Bakelite" section/licensed from Main Works

The Main Tyseley base made Hundreds of differing products,,probably the Telephones Kandor mentioned and
lots of other "Plastic-Bakelite products" as well as smaller iInsulators for low voltage equipment usage. O0 John Y

See the things ya learn when your up to no good and wagging orf school O0

You naughty boy ROD,,  wagging school,yer gonna get rapped on yer knuckles with a wooden ruler  :knuppel2:

Oh,,can,t find any today,,, just loads of Plastic ones  :( Ooh better,,more whippy,,

Righto Bren give him 6 on each hand  :2funny: Cheers John Y

Thanks John, Les and Rod for the info on Bakelite
Another little piece to fit in the picture ;)

:angel: I have found this to be a most interesting topic... one I most probably would never have read upon if it had not been on this Forum or site, thanx guys.

Chris :angel:

Great pic Jim
Who knows, our Old Man could well be among that lot O0
Paul and Rod and all you other camera buffs any chance of enlarging it? :)

Thanks Di :smitten:
Can't say I recognise anyone but it's nice to think he might be in there somewhere :)

It would be better if Jim will scan it at a higher res for you, that way it will be both bigger and retain clarity

Birmingham, thanks to the work of Parkes, was also the start of the film industry! But where?

The first celluloid as a bulk material for forming objects was made in 1855 in Birmingham, England, by Alexander Parkes, who was never able to see his invention reach full fruition after his firm went bankrupt due to scale-up costs. Parkes patented his discovery after realising that a solid residue remained after evaporation of the solvent from photographic collodion.

Parkes patented it as a clothing waterproof for woven fabrics in the same year. Later in 1862, Parkes showcased Parkesine at the Great Exhibition in London where he was awarded a bronze medal for his efforts. The introduction of Parkesine is generally regarded as the birth of the plastics industry. Parkes mixed cellulose nitrate with camphor, producing a hard, flexible, and transparent material. Cellulose nitrate was dissolved in a small measure of solvent, this was then heated and rolled on a purpose-built machine which extracted a proportion of the solvent. Finally, the use of pressure or dyes completed the manufacturing process. In 1866, Parkes tried again with his invention, and he created a company to manufacture and market Parkesine, but this failed in 1868 after trying to cut costs to enable further manufacture.

In the 1860s, an American by the name of John Wesley Hyatt acquired Parkes' patent and began experimenting with cellulose nitrate with the intention of manufacturing billiard balls, which until that time were made from ivory. He used cloth, ivory dust, and shellac and in 1869 patented a method of covering billiard balls with the addition of collodion, and formed the Albany Billiard Ball Company in Albany, New York, to manufacture the product. In 1870, John, and his brother Isaiah, patented a process of making a "horn-like material" with the inclusion of cellulose nitrate and camphor. Alexander Parkes and Spill listed camphor during their earlier experiments, but it was the Hyatt brothers who recognized the value of camphor and its use as a plasticizer for cellulose nitrate. Isaiah dubbed the commercially viable material “celluloid” in 1872 as a specifically Hyatt product.

English inventor Daniel Spill took exception to the Hyatts' claim and pursued the brothers in a number of court cases between 1877 and 1884. The outcome was that Spill held no claim to the Hyatts' patents and that the true inventor of celluloid was in fact Alexander Parkes, due to his mentioning of camphor in his earlier experiments and patents. The judge ruled that all manufacturing of celluloid could continue, including the Hyatts' Celluloid Manufacturing Company. Celluloid was later used as the base for photographic film.

The name Celluloid actually began as a trademark of the Celluloid Manufacturing Company first of Albany, NY, and later of Newark, New Jersey, which manufactured the celluloids patented by John Wesley Hyatt. Hyatt used heat and pressure to simplify the manufacture of these compounds. The name was registered in 1870, but after a long court battle between Spill and the Hyatt brothers a judge later ruled that the true inventor of celluloid (by process, not name) was Alexander Parkes.

Celluloid was extremely useful for creating cheaper jewelry, jewelry boxes, hair accessories and many items that would earlier have been manufactured from ivory, horn or other expensive animal products. It was therefore often referred to as "Ivorine" or "French Ivory". It was also used for dressing table sets (usually called Xylonite in Britain), dolls, picture frames, charms, hat pins, buttons, buckles, stringed instrument parts, cutlery handles and kitchen items. The main disadvantage that the material had was that it was flammable and fragile (as film restoration teams the world over will attest). Items made in Celluloid are collectible today and increasingly rare in good condition. It was soon taken over by the more robust Bakelite and Catalin.

Alexander appears to have started as a chemist sometime between 1855 and 1858, but then gone into manufacturing:
1858 Parkes Alexander, practical chemist and refiner, 7 and 8, Bath row and Liverpool st
1862 Parkes Alexander, tube manufacturer, 8 Bath Row.
He seems to have disappeared from the 1867 and 1868 Kellys, and in 1868 no 8 Bath row is Fielding Fletcher, plumbers brass founder. There is an A & F Parkes & Co , maker of spades, and tools, in Dartmouth St, but I don’t think that is the same one.
In the 1890 map below things may have changed a bit since 1860s, but no 9 is in red, and no 8 would have been to the east of it.
Mike

map_1890_no_9_bath_row.JPG

then knife and fork handles sure did ignite.and the eye burning and nose burning fumes,that they gave off

What about Bakelite?
Wasn't that a form of plastic?
It wasn't a British invention but there was a factory in Brum years ago called The Bakelite, at least I think that was the proper name
Our Dad worked there when I was a kid but I don't know to this day what they made
Anybody else know?

Indeed Jerry Bakelite was invented by a Belgian and is regarded as the birth of the plastic age. It was named after the inventor, Leo Baekeland. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Baekeland

To the best of my Knoledge the Bakerlite factory in Tyseley only produced the resins wich were sent to other factorys to be moulded in to phones, radio and tv caseings ect. but they did produce plastic sheeting simular to formica. They had another factory in County Durham.

BXL Tyseley was another of my employer's (many) local customers. They made mostly sheet material for machining, and we supplied them with various insulating materials for their manufacturing processes. I'm not sure when they closed their doors, but I think it may have been shortly before I retired in 2011.

The 'bakelite' factory mentioned as being in Witton may well be Tufnol Ltd. They produce a reinforced phenolic-resin sheet material. As phenolic resin is something of a perceived health-risk these days, so perhaps they're now using a different resin.

One (possibly apocryphal) story of Bakelite dates from pre-WW1 days when Rolls-Royce were shown samples of the new wonder material. After due consideration and discussion, doubtless over a few glasses of after-dinner port, RR said they could see only one possible use for Bakelite - as gear-stick knobs. And it was duly used. Or so I've heard.

G

There is a museum of all things Bakelite in Somerset, never been so can't comment.
https://twitter.com/bakelitemuseum
I remember going on a school visit to the Tyseley factory around 1957 and seeing the Formica production facility.
Formica was very fashionable at that time.

In case anyone is interested, there is a lecture given to the Newcomen Society at the Thinktank at 7.00pm on Thursday 30th January entitled "Plastics – their origins and development from Parkesine to Bakelite"

Back