• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

'Orse Road

Just been looking at my great grandfather 1881 census it states his job as a Carter at station any ideas where I can find more information about his work from

Phil,

For much of his early life my late father was a carter working out of Curzon Street with his horse and cart. This was before WW1, and when he got demobbed from the Army and applied for his old job back, he was told that it had been given to a young married man with two children. He was also told that as an ex-serviceman he could legally insist on having his old job back, but that would mean that they would have to sack the young man. In order words, we was shamed into not getting his old job back.

Of course, with so many ex-servicemen flooding onto the market, there was a shortage of jobs in 1919 and he ended up taking a poorly paid job making packing cases for reputedly one of the worse paying employers in Birmingham, Perry Pens Ltd of Lancaster Street. Even before WW2 he was still only getting £2. 12s 6d per week.

His carter's job was delivering packages which had arrived by rail at Curzon Street Station from all over the country and covered all of the central area of Brum. Consequently, we knew central Brum like the back of his hand and, although he wasn't a drinker, all of the pubs!

He died when I was still a schoolboy in 1952 and in 30 years I've never been able to establish whether he was actually employed by one of the railway companies or by a contractor. I've checked all the railway employment records without success, so I am inclined to think it was probably a contractor.

Maurice

Another weird old Brummie expression used in our house was "Never in the reign of pig's puddin'!", meaning 'no chance'. When I was a nipper I always had a giggle when my dad came out with this. I thought he'd made it up, but then I heard someone in a shop use it. Has anyone else ever come across this?

G

BG.

I came across that saying for the first time about 30 or 40 years ago, long after I had left Brum. Never heard my parents use it. I suppose the American equivalent is "How many R's in Fat Chance?", though I first heard that used by a major in the Israeli Army that I knew.

Eric,

Dad's carting was long before the existence of BR and BRS and he definitely used a horse and cart, sometimes taking it home with him to Ladywood! I've no idea what the horse's name was though!

Maurice

Hi Maurice, "this is only a feeling in me water" as my mom used to say but I feel your Dad may have been employed directly by one of the railways. It is only based on when I traveled to and from Handsworth for school I would see metal signs (about 1 foot square) hung in the windows of shops and small manufacturing establishments saying LMS or GWR Carrier to Call.
I presume that the carrier cart would have a regular route and call for pick-up's and at the same time drop of any deliveries.
Maybe I'm wrong (not unusual ) but ?
Cheers Tim

Hi Big Gee,
Yes that phrase was quite common when I was a lad (prewar). It seems to have died out now though.
Old Boy
Another weird old Brummie expression used in our house was "Never in the reign of pig's puddin'!", meaning 'no chance'. When I was a nipper I always had a giggle when my dad came out with this. I thought he'd made it up, but then I heard someone in a shop use it. Has anyone else ever come across this?

G

I expect, Maurice, he most likely, over a period of time, had more than one horse. Would have been nice to know I guess.
One of my grandfathers had horses and they were all named after people featured in The Old Testament of The Bible. such as Abraham, Moses, Sampson, Elijah, Samuel, Saul and so on.

Tim,

He doesn't appear on any of the railway company online staff records, yet a member of my late wife's family does, but he was actually working on trains. Possibly certain "onshore" occupations are not included. I know he enjoyed the job.

Alan,

Dad may have possibly mentioned horses' names to my mother, but both are long since gone, of course. (No Hercules amongst them then?) :)

Maurice

Probably Maurice. Purely from memory as it was nearly seventy years ago when I was acquainted with it all. Like you no one to consult any more - assuming they knew anyway. :)

March 1989, I was standing in a queue at the main bus/coach station, it was about 5 pm in the morning in the Turkish City of Mugla, I was drinking a small cup of green tea, very sweet and hot, I had a nightmare journey of some hours from Marmaris bus breaking down several times, so was very tired and slightly out of it. The bus station was an a antique place and enclosed with a multitude of languages and shouting and talking, when suddenly over all this talking bus engines revving and bus's turning I heard a distinct Black Country accent shouting, (" Margie, get that Babby, out the orse road, hers gonna get kilt"), I never did see who it was , so if they read this and it rings a bell let me know. Paul

A small point...."Orse" is Brummie; "Oss" is Black Country. Small point, but a huge difference in terms of dialect.

G

G

That expression was common when I was little, one of many that were in use just after the war.
"Goo an' tell the Marines !" was one, (I didn't know where the Marines were !)
"Blue pencil" another, used instead of a swear word when kids were about. It has since dawned on me that the wartime censor used to cross out forbidden words in letters with such a pencil. I bet that was irritating.

Those days of the 'orse road' was when children could quite easily play in the roadway and older people could cross at leisure. I am convinced that pre the mid 1950's children, whilst not having all the present day knick-knacks did have far more fun than today and did experience a longer - and in my view - beneficial childhood. Maybe it is because I am old but children do seen to loose their childhood too soon these days, sadly a lot has to do with parenting and schools who seem to treat the under eights as adults and give them far too much say in what they do and eat. :eek: Just my twopenn'orth or cents. ;)

Last edited:
Other than Special Days when we were on an outing ,maybe to "The Licky's " our everyday playground was in the street.
You played "Marlies" in the gutters or sailed little hand made or matchsticks down them when it rained. You played such games as "London" or "May I Cross Your Colored Waters" which were across the road from one curb to the other. There was Hopscotch or skipping also played in the road. On the seldom occasion when the road was resurfaced we made "things" out of the tar (which smelled great!).
We played on our bikes, roller skates ,billy carts and things I've forgotten.
We even had Ores in the road which delivered the milk, bread coal etc.
Cheers Tim

I once chalked a hopscotch plan (the one with numbers up to ten - I believe there were at least two designs) on the paving outside my home. A neighbour came by and flew into a rage shouting about 'pendiment' houses or something similar. I had no idea what a 'pendiment' house was I went indoors to ask.
It transpired that her reference was actually to tenement houses! :eek: Tenements? In a posh area controlled by Solihull UDC! :D

I've just been looking at this old thread.
Yes, Nan did say "Mind the 'orse road", and she used to tell me about someone she knew who had been playing in the gutter and had both legs cut off by a cart-wheel!! I suppose it was the scissor action of the wheel on the metal curb. Or maybe it was just a scare-story?? Either way I was always careful when the milkman came with his horse Blackthorn, he seemed huge but I was very young!!!
rosie.
I wonder if the child you mention lived in Mary Road, Handsworth? My grandfather's sister lost her son, Richard Phillips, following a similar accident. He was aged about 4 (1928) when he was playing in the gutter and a cart reversed over him.

I'm sorry but I don't think so Bryn, she was born in 1900 and the girl was a school friend. What a sad story.
rosie.

My Gran (who we lived with when I was small) always warned me about playing in the 'orse road. She also referred to a pencil as a "black lead"

just found this thread. how about pumps(plimsoles). any road up(point of conversation) down the suff(drain) never in the reign of pigs puddin(never) ower kid(sibbling)parkie(park keeper)(park warden)donnies(hands) lovely memories!!

No one seems to mention TIP CAT ,bit of wood pointed at each end and a bit of wood for a bat.Good Timesas with the match sticks in the gutter when it rained

My mother always said to me and my brother,Look both ways when you cross the road in Case a Orse is coming:yum:yum always wondered if Gene Autrey or Roy Rogers might ride past

Pete,Rag and Bone Man did but never had a gold fish.Hadnt got a big enough Jam Jar
yer gold fish or chicks. and plenty of stuff for the roses. i love`d the days of the horses.walking down the orse rd, one day my brother went out and led the coal mans horse down the rd with a slice of bread, the coalman went mad lol.

My son Tom was looked at me as though I had two heads yesterday.... He had need to cross a busy Tamworth road to go into a shop when I said to him without thinking, 'Be careful has you cross the 'orse road' (Horse road - Brummies seldom pronounce there H's).

His response was what is a 'Orse Road'........... he definitately needs some cultural training............

I haven't used that term for donkies years......... Mabz
why not a donkie rd.lol

mwOnjm,after the war my mother gave the rag & bone man some old clothes and a tin bath.He gave her 2 chickens,1 with a bad leg so called her Peggy.had them a good few years till just before we moved from Vauxhall to Glebe Farm in1949

Back