• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gravestones

tracey bedford

Hi

If anyone can help please? Looking for a couple of burials in the Aston area of Birmingham.

The names are Christopher and Mary Barkham. Christopher and Mary moved to Aston from Wormegay, Norfolk in the late 1850's with some of their children. Mary died in Aston in 1885 aged supposedly 68 when she was actually closer to 75 and Christopher died in 1890 aged 71 actually he was closer to 79, otherwise he would have been 12 when 1st child born!!.

Tracey,

They are buried in Witton Cemetery, but I don't have any more details than that. Also there is a Doreen Anne BARKHAM buried in Handsworth Cemetery in 1993. I don't know if she could be related.

Maurice

I have reference numbers, not sure how you use these but just in case they are useful, ref. no for Christopher is WI/28/28268 and Mary WI/23/23251.

I have reference numbers, not sure how you use these but just in case they are useful, ref. no for Christopher is WI/28/28268 and Mary WI/23/23251.
Looks like grave numbers to me Area 28 - Grave 28268 & area 23 Grave 23251
Area 23 is just inside the Ridgeway entrance - Turn left area on right.
Area 28 is Ridgeway side of Toilet block near chapel.

There may well be no Headstones. If there are any in the plot - they usually have the Number on the back or on front corner, you have go up & down the rows to see how the numbers run within the block. You normally need at 3 3 or 4 headstones to follow the pattern and than can often work out exactly which one is yours - marked or otherwise. The Office will give you a small map and may show you on the larger map where they are with in the area - depends on how busy they are in the office.

Back