• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sparkhill Baths

Looks like another box! But that doesn't surprise me in this day and age.

Maurice

yes maurice looks like that to me as well..as you say it comes as no surprise...not that this bothers me as i would not go there anyway...

lyn

I spent many happy hours at Sparkhill baths. I went to Greet Primary school as soon as the bell went towel and trunks under arm we would run to the baths for an hour or two, happy days..

I walked past the new Sparkhill Baths building a few days ago .... and I think it looks good.
As a young lad, I spent a huge amount of time swimming, diving and generally playing about in the old baths. I walked there from Greet Primary School, went there from Moseley Grammar, and remember attending a Scout swimming competition there in the 60's. I'm very pleased that it's been replaced with another swimming baths - which is a valuable social amenity - rather than one more supermarket.
I remember my old dad saying he watched it being built when he was a schoolboy in the playground of St Johns school - which must have been in the early 1930's. I suspect there were people complaining then .... that its modern architecture wasn't as "good" as the Victorian gothic library building next door !

I too used Sparkhill Baths, being born in 1940 I suppose my swimming days started in the late forties and continued through the fifties but I lost interest in swimming in my teens.

We also made use of the pool from Yorke House School in Hall Green in the mid to late 40s. Three memories stick out. 1. The smell of vinegar soaked newspaper from the six-penn'orth of chips from the shop by the bus stop opposite. 2. The system at Sparkhill Baths was to leave your clothes in the changing cubicle but very frequently money would go missing from my pockets so I had to walk home having had my bus fare stolen. 3. How difficult it was to pull my socks up when you didn't dry your feet properly. It seemed so modern compared with Moseley Road baths, the other pool the family made use of (and where I learned to swim).
I also used to go to Sparkhill Baths from Yorke House School, I am scared of water so not my favourite place but I got my free pass by swimming a length but I had to do it it backwards as I could touch the bottom if I didn't quite make it! I remember the trip back on a WMPTE bus which we caught from outside the Sue Ryder charity shop opposite the Baths. Thought the builing was scarey as no windows.

That, from memory was the smaller of the two baths. Not the one I almost drowned in some 73 years ago. :cold_sweat: Post 11, of this thread gives the detail.
Didn't know there were 2 baths, just a lad of 62, hated the place with a passion and always glad to get on the bus home, pleased to hear you didn't drown! Never used my free pass!

Maybe there was not two baths Mike. It was a long time ago. But usually there is a smaller, shallower bath for very young children. Thanks for the comment, but it means you still gotta put up with me now. :D

Maybe there was not two baths Mike. It was a long time ago. But usually there is a smaller, shallower bath for very young children. Thanks for the comment, but it means you still gotta put up with me now. :D
Will look forward to hearing from you, who cares how many baths there were, I'd have hated them all. My mother taught at Yorke House for 2 years to keep it going, there was only one year, what they call Year 6 now, for the last year as the Millingtons could not keep it going, he was a local Councillor and drove a green Rolls Royce while his wife had a Bond Euippe, very sporty. Some amazing teachers, Mrs Pepper and her daughter, Mrs Mather, Mrs Blackwell, Mrs Bristow and Mrs Aske.

I have lived by the sea since 1954, apart from six years RAF service. I was cajoled by some girls to go in an open air pool, in 1960, cold and glad to get out I have to say. Other than that I believe I have had the occasional sea shore paddles.
I am not sure to which Millingtons you refer to but a search will how a couple of shops etc owned by folks named Millington. Your Millington may also crop up here. There is a wealth of information about Brum here; some threads are better than tv. ;)

I have lived by the sea since 1954, apart from six years RAF service. I was cajoled by some girls to go in an open air pool, in 1960, cold and glad to get out I have to say. Other than that I believe I have had the occasional sea shore paddles.
I am not sure to which Millingtons you refer to but a search will how a couple of shops etc owned by folks named Millington. Your Millington may also crop up here. There is a wealth of information about Brum here; some threads are better than tv. ;)
I'm fascinated, don't think the Millingtons had any other contact with the area, they had a daughter who became a veterinary nurse in Solihull. I tend to only come into contact with water in the shower or bath!

Back