• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

No 12 BUS ROUTE

The enhanced photo dos indeed say "Oakworth" but how or why is a complete mystery to me, have to agree with #29.
paul

Perhaps Michael Keeley who wrote the book about Birmingham Bus Routes might know about the No. 12 destination blind. I found this on another
transport thread on the Forum.
[h=2]Re: Birmingham Buses Route by Route 1925-1975[/h]
I used to work for West Midlands Passenger Transport Executive at Summer Lane as well as Malcolm Keeley that wrote this book!

Malcolm can be contacted via the Birmingham Bus Museum at Wythall.

https://www.bammot.org.uk/

This issue does not seem to have been solved!
Reference to the book mentioned in post 32 suggests that the blind is a little to high in the destination box and actually, whilst it does appear to read Oakworth, it is in fact Harborne. (same number of letters)
Some buses just used the wording Harborne or Bartley Green, but others went to California. Pictures shows the early post war style BCT buses, passing Chamberlain's statue in June 1962 with a blind stating: Harborne and Bartley Green 12. The other picture, October 1957 shows a bus in Harborne Road with a blind saying Harborne and California 12D.

Reference to the book mentioned in post 32 suggests that the blind is a little to high in the destination box and actually, whilst it does appear to read Oakworth, it is in fact Harborne. (same number of letters)
Some buses just used the wording Harborne or Bartley Green, but others went to California. Pictures shows the early post war style BCT buses, passing Chamberlain's statue in June 1962 with a blind stating: Harborne and Bartley Green 12. The other picture, October 1957 shows a bus in Harborne Road with a blind saying Harborne and California 12D.
Did anybody ever put the query to Malcolm Keeler. Yes (phil) it looks like Oakworth, but having read Radiorails and all my Birmingham Transport Books I have to agree with Post 34 and assume the blind has twisted slightly and it does say Harborne, although when you write Oakworth and then take out the top half of the letters and do the same with Harborne, the only glitch is the last letter all the others could be Harborn, but that last letter an h does not make an e (unless as they say someone knows better (and I am sure and I bow to the expertise I see on this forum, someone out there has the answer and thus does know better). Do the lower deck vents look peculiar to any one else? Or is it just light distortion? Strangely enough Google throws up Oakworth at No 7 Twatling Road Barnt Green.

Bob

Sorry (not sorry) to resurrect a 10 year old thread, but here is a colour photo that clearly shows Oakworth! Where is Oakworth? Lived in Bartley Green for 20 years, never heard of it

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1650097354935.jpg
    FB_IMG_1650097354935.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 28
Caught the No12 every day practically in the 5o's early 60's never saw or heard of the place, so I suspect a wrong sign writing job??

Although this query has been covered above, I'd like to add the following.

This is a photograph which an artist has tried to make clearer for printing, and the 'Harborne' on the destination not being fully visible and the artist, probably not a Birmingham person, has taken a 'best guess' at. The picture was used on the front page of the Meccano Magazine

Meccano Magazine BCT .jpg

Although this query has been covered above, I'd like to add the following.

This is a photograph which an artist has tried to make clearer for printing, and the 'Harborne' on the destination not being fully visible and the artist, probably not a Birmingham person, has taken a 'best guess' at. The picture was used on the front page of the Meccano Magazine

View attachment 169202
Solved!

In case anyone was wondering what the article in the Meccano magazine was about here is the relevant pages......

Attachments

• Scan_Page_One.jpg
    828.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Scan_Page_Two.jpg
    888.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Scan_Page_Three.jpg
    966.1 KB · Views: 24
Sorry (not sorry) to resurrect a 10 year old thread, but here is a colour photo that clearly shows Oakworth! Where is Oakworth? Lived in Bartley Green for 20 years, never heard of it
)
In case anyone was wondering what the article in the Meccano magazine was about here is the relevant pages......
On the second page is a picture of a bus on route 12 and look at the destintion. I think the answer is as Lloyd says at #43 above.
Time for a new mystery please and Birminghsa city councillors have just announced the new estate next to Baetley Green, will be called Oakworth,
Bob

Back