• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Windows 10

Hi Maurice, I suppose the program is a start for youngsters wanting to get into 3D modelling and for when 3D printers become widely available, but high spec gaming computers would be needed. The temperature in my low spec laptop goes up 15° and the fan comes on when I spin the scene. I had a look from another angle and see the dogs have left a trainer under the sofa ... my people models aren't good ... but now I'm going back to old pics and history ...:D
anotherview.JPG

Ha ha, I think you're getting into dangerous territory now, Jim! :) :)

Very CPU and memory intensive, Phil, I'm not surprised.

Maurice

I suppose the characters are the moderators, no prizes for suggesting names.
Hi Jim, I played safe, but it is possible to take a face from a photo and wrap it on to the face of the model, but allowance for distortion is necessary as it goes round the sides. Putting the patterned jumper on one model and the fur on the dog was quite tricky. The second dog was a 3D copy and paste and the 3D sofa was nicked from Microsoft.

I've seen a few displays of 3D printers in the last few years and these designs don't really fit with them. Printers are more appropriate to individual objects than scenes. If there is an output to video rather than still, it might be thought of as a starter in animation but it is very basic. If you want to try something more elaborate try Bryce (https://www.daz3d.com/daz_studio) which usually has a free version with a bunch of stuff ready made.

When I was at work more than ten years ago I used a very advanced solid modelling program 'Pro Engineer' (Google it) to create complicated models of precision forgings for car transmission parts used in most modern cars. After completing the model, the program could generate a drawing of the part and even generate models and drawings for the punches and dies. 3D modelling with a standard laptop is just a fun thing ... :)

Just had another 'play' looking behind the forum page with the 3D Paint in Win 10 ...:)
Pic 1
Capt1.JPG
Pic 2 from another view
Capt8.JPG

Bloo*y hell, that is impressive (to me, anyway) oldMohawk - is this in every version of W10?
Cheers
S23
It is in the latest Windows 10 Creators Update version 1703. Microsoft are rolling it out through updates to all W10 users but they quietly check your computer first to see if it is compatible. I jumped the queue in April and risked updating it myself. I just run the 3D Paint for amusement like sketching or painting and it is interesting working out how to place everything in 3D. I didn't get the laptop in the pic quite right is floating slightly above the table! My computers don't have high spec graphics and have to work hard to do the calculations of where everything is when I spin the scene.

M/soft tried to install this yesterday. It failed. I tried, it failed. From what I have read it was good that it failed!!
I believe M/Soft have withdrawn installations of it and I note that it is suggested that you do not install it as it is too buggy and was only intended for some users of W10 and distributed by mistake.
I did run disk cleaner and CCleaner to remove any traces.
I then found that my pc appeared to be in safe mode as the font and screen enlargement was not as my usual settings. A reboot restored things to normal.
Take great care about this update.

15063.2.rs2_release_svc_d.170531-1743 (UUP-CTv2)

Phil,

Perfectly correct and the same ZD.net information was also in the Daily Express about a week ago.

However, I should point out that if you have an Intel motherboard - that is a board actually made by Intel, NOT a 3rd party manufacturer using an Intel chipset - then it is almost certain that an upgrade to Windows 10 is not possible without a change of motherboard first. The reason for this is that Intel has ceased making motherboards, there is no phone or email support for their boards, and the latest drives only cover Windows 8.1 and not Windows 10.

My machine was built in 2014 using one of these Intel boards - DH67BL - and the upgrade crashes out after several hours of wasted time. It was only after some in depth investigation that I realised what the problem was. I have a brand new AS Rock IIZ75-10b motherboard and it's been sitting there in its box for best part of a year simply because I was too lazy to strip the machine down and do a replacement. So I'm back to Win7 until I get around to doing this.

I might try upgrading my old Win8.0 laptop to 8.1 first and then try a W10 upgrade. If it fails, it doesn't matter as I rarely use it.

Maurice

Hi Maurice,
I always found Win8.1 to be a big improvement over Win8. The upgrade from Win8.1 to Win10 is usually trouble free and can be easily rolled back if necessary. Upgrading on a slow connection could be tricky because of the size of the download.
Phil

Never had 8, as the views on it were pretty caustic. When the old XP had to go I went directly to 8.1.
Windows 7, as many here and elsewhere have said, was great. However one Microsoft suggested there would not be a W11, W12 etc. but W10 would be progressively regarded I upgraded to 10 on my pc and laptop. It was a short while before the laptop, which has the W7 operating system, was upgraded: Sony advised holding the upgrade until their VAIO laptops could have W10 safely installed.

when I purchased my PC last year it was OP 8.1, PC World upgraded it to Windows 10. If ever I decide to do a full recovery (which I did regularly on my old Windows 7) will it revert to 8.1 or remain Windows 10? Eric

hello eric...as you know im not technical at all but i would guess it would remain windows 10...no doubt someone a better knowledge will put you right....by the way i am still on windows 7 on my old desk top...windows 10 on new lappy...dont have the spar time to work out all the things it does..so long as i can post photos and make posts i am happy with that:D

lyn

when I purchased my PC last year it was OP 8.1, PC World upgraded it to Windows 10. If ever I decide to do a full recovery (which I did regularly on my old Windows 7) will it revert to 8.1 or remain Windows 10? Eric
Hi Eric, There is not the same need to 'recover' Windows 10 as there was with Windows 7. Only do a recovery if you have major problems with your computer.

If you do want to do a 'recovery' use the option in Windows 10 settings as shown below. This will keep your existing Windows 10 and there is the option to keep all your existing programs and files. Do not use the Acer factory reset.
oldmohawk
recover.JPG

I'm satisfied with Win 10 but spend much of my internet time using an iPad which I bought 5 years ago and have since used it almost every day without having to bother with anti-virus and anti-spyware etc.
One of my favourite features in Win 10 is OneDrive and I use it to easily move files between iPad (iOS) and Win 10 computers. I even use the Edge browser some days ... it's actually quite good.

Thanks old Mohawk, I still have my Windows 7 PC, I purchased my Acer PC because of it's superior gaming capabilities unfortunately when I install my Flight Sim X I don't get an Icon although the control panel says it as installed OK, I thought some kind of recovery may solve the problem, of course it could be a FSX software problem. Have tried de-installing it and reinstalling it but no joy. Will follow your advice and try Recovery/reset this PC. Eric

My desktop, a German product, came with a DVD to install W8.1 plus another one for some other programmes. I did not use that one but installed those programmes, in English, that I needed. The German installation, once installed, was easily changed to the English language. I had no bloatware to be concerned with. ;)
As far as my VAIO laptop was concerned it came, as with most pre installed programmes, with a lot of unnecessary features. Upgrading to W.10 and eliminating the original W7 meant that my laptop had a much cleaner look to it: all the 'junk' I did not want had gone.

Hi Eric, I would not try a recovery just because a program icon is missing. You can create an icon (shortcut) for the FSX program. If you find the program in the program file list right click on it and see the 'create shortcut' info. Alternatively google for 'how create a shortcut for a program in windows 10'
oldmohawk

Hi Eric, check the following in Google just to be sure ...
is fsx compatible with windows 10

If FSX is compatible you can create an icon on the taskbar etc as follows
Right click on the 'window icon' bottom left of screen
Left click on 'Run'
In the box which appears type Shell:AppsFolder
You should then see all your apps (programs) listed
Right click on any app you want and pin it to the 'taskbar' or pin it to the 'Start'.

You can see my laptop start screen in the last pic in post#363

You can access the 'Start' screen with a touch on the 'Windows' key and get back to 'Desktop Screen' with another touch on the 'Windows' key.

Last edited:
oldMohawk, your above advice done the trick, now have FSX icon on task bar, thanks a lot. Have successfully down loaded FSX service packs SP1 and SP2 Can now purchase the Lancaster add on. Thanks again. Eric

Last edited:
From the 'AntiVirus,Firewalls and System Security' thread of the 'Windows Ten Forum'.
Microsoft recommends removing the unused but vulnerable SMBv1 file sharing protocol from your systems.
It’s pretty easy to do and well worth it for the peace of mind it could bring as yet another ransomware exploit runs amuck.

Open the Control Panel (search for it from the Start Menu)

Click Programs and Features, and then on the left hand column

Click Turn Windows Features on or off

Scroll down to SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing support,

Uncheck it, and reboot

This works for Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 there’s simply no reason for you to be running SMBv1, and Microsoft is planning to remove it entirely in the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.
It is probably not important for ordinary users like us but I've just done it on my Windows 10 computers.

Done here, thanks for the info.
Incidentally I use Opera as my default browser, Firefox is there as a stand-by if needed. However, I believe I mentioned this before, I use IE or Edge solely for the news on their web site.
I have found that seems to be a conflict with IE/Edge and Trusteer Endpoint (a security download programme advocated by all major banks). It can be corrected by shutting down Trusteer - BUT don't forget to open it up again if you do banking online using a different browser to IE/Edge. I have reported it to both Microsoft and Trusteer.
An interesting web site to read is that of EMSISOFT. I guess some here may already get their news letters.

I have only recently discovered that Firefox 54 does not support Trusteer Endpoint, so i have to switch over to IE for banking or buying. Fx blame Trusteer for not keeping up to date with Fx updates.

Trusteer do seem to be sluggish with updates and it took them some time to be compatible with W10. Chrome is my main browser and Edge my second.

I use Gmail so automatically have a Google account and if I use Chrome in any computer, iPad, or Linux, it automatically syncs bookmarks and appearance across them. I use Norton AV and Windows Defender but my iPad/iPhone and Linux don't need AV. All my devices use log-in passwords or PINs.

Thanks oldMohawk #712, have successfully removed said file. The useful PC tips I have received on this Forum is amazing and much appreciated by a 'non techy' like myself. Thanks again. Eric

Back