• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham museum and art gallery.

Here we have the Museum and Art Gallery in 1880 before the Council House extension was built. Oil painting by Albert Marlow. The old buildings on the site of the extension look fairly dilapidated at the time of the painting. Think there was a pub on the site (building with flag pole). Viv.

image.jpeg

Chamberlain Square is now blocked off by the Paradise Birmingham development, so follow the pedestrian diversion via Eden Place and Edmund Street. I think the Chamberlain Square entrance is open, but only via the diversion. Alternatively use the entrance on Edmund Street near the Gas Hall.

Great Charles Street Queensway entrance open once again, now that the roadworks for Paradise are finished.

The sign from Chamberlain Square used to say "City Museum & Art Gallery". The word "City" has long since disappeared!

A building this big would have had a significant heating and hot water system, so it possible the remains of a chimney from that

Scaffolding near the Great Charles Street Queensway corner with Congreve Passage. Where that concrete bridge was demolished a few years ago.

This view of the same spot from February 2018.

The bridge before demolition in 2016.

Went to the University College Birmingham on Wednesday evening (previously College of Food / Tourism and various other incarnations) and would dearly have loved to have cut down by the front of the Museum and Art Gallery and straight down Pinfold Street to get to the station. We had to add the loop of Margaret Street and Colmore Row and cut it very fine for the train.

i fear disruptions such as that will continue for many years to come pen and i will only venture into the city centre now if i really have to....dont know it anymore...glad you just managed to catch your train

lyn

Assume you used New Street if not Snow Hill. There is new pavements around the UCB. From Great Charles Street Queensway, you could head down Newhall Street and Bennetts Hill and go through the Burlington Arcade. If you want to avoid Pinfold Street in future.

We went that way Ell but it seemed slightly longer. I will investigate though, thanks. At least there is a crossing at the top of Summer Row now.

One of the crossings on Parardise Circus is closed so you have to cross over towards Summer Row and UCB, then back over to BM & AG. Today I went down Margaret Street, what was Edmund Street, Victoria Square, Pinfold Street and into New Street Station / Grand Central / Bullring to get to Moor Street.

Scaffolding update on BM & AG.

Had a flick through the posts , nobody has mentioned the boar that Prince Philip dispatched . It was in a glass cabinet in a sort of sitting position with the barb or spear shafts still visible sticking out of the boars shoulder. It was killed in the 1950's
I always looked at that when I made my way around as a nipper

Current museum view from Centenary Way (where Paradise Forum used to be)

Until four years ago was like this!

Back