• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kyrle hall

jennyann

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
My memories of Kryle Hall are somewhat different since Kryle Hall
was actually our school gym. In the early l950's I failed my 11+ exam
that I sat at Handsworth Grammar School in Rosehill Road one fine day
in the Spring. So my parents sent me to school at Lawrence's College
in Corporation Street ...our classrooms overlooked the Midland
Education and one of the best parts I remember about attending this school was the fact that at lunch times we had complete freedom to roam about the city; as long as you came back in time for lessons you could go anywhere. I remember making the most of this opportunity and learned so much about Brum in the time I was there. The school was located in a building on the corner of Martineau Street and Corporation Street on three floors of a building demolished a few years ago. That part of Corporation Street was so different to what it is now, of course, but so full of life and so much to explore for a schoolkid.

There were very few facilities at Lawrence's College that a regular suburban school had. It had no assembly hall, no gym, nowhere to play sports, dance, etc. The school did have excellent reputation though and
general subjects were taught with an option to take Commercial courses
at age l5. It was a mixed school.

A couple of times a week after lunch we were required to walk to Kryle Hall for gym lessons. I remember the place looking like a serious training gym and I suppose we used the same equipment as the boxers and others who used the place. :lol: It was quite a walk from the school but it was always a bit of an adventure. We didn't march altogether to Kryle Hall, we had to turn up on time on our gym day. I remember my friend and I trying to find different ways to get to it and getting lost at times. I also remember feeling very self conscious walking along past the local houses in the summer wearing my school uniform which included a straw boater which had to be worn!!!!!!! :oops: We did dancing as well as gym at Kryle Hall and I enjoyed those visits all those years ago.
Our other sporting activities were at Woodcock St Baths where I made it into the Swimming Gala one year :D , Edgbaston for
field hockey :( and tennis at Witton Lakes Park, the latter being such a long way for a lot of students but not for me I lived up the road!!!!!!!! Our tennis teacher did also, so I imagine that is why we played there.
After two years at the College I persuaded my Mother to let me go to school locally for the rest of my education and I attended Fentham Secondary School for Girls in Erdington. I shall be attending the Fentham
Centenary Reunion in Sutton Coldfield in April 2004. I'm looking forward to it very much even though it means travelling close to 5,000 miles(one way) to get there!!!!! :roll:

Anyone else used to go to youth club at Kyrle Hall in Sheep street . Story of te ghost of John Kyrle haunting the place story goes that he jumped off the top of the building. I used to go regularly to open up and have certainly had one or two spooky experiences. Noises ,footsteps etc .

I worked in the building for 10 years after Aston University took the place over.
Nothing untoward apparent during that time.​

Built in 1893 - see engraving. What a lovely Arts and Crafts building, sadly demolished.

Boxing matches were held there - it had a gymnasium - as the hall was used as an early community hall. Viv.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 30
Built in 1893 - see engraving. What a lovely Arts and Crafts building, sadly demolished.

Boxing matches were held there - it had a gymnasium - as the hall was used as an early community hall. Viv.

View attachment 114677
I lived in the first house next door to Kyrle hall. I always used the boxing gym at the back of the hall and loved the budgie shows held there on a regular basis.i attended St Chads school located at the back of the cathedral in the city Center. I loved that area. Wolfs furniture shop located at the university end of sheep st was A favourite Place for the kids of the area to imitate the Harry worth skit From the telly seeming to float when holding up one arm and leg at the end of the glass front of the store. Favourite place to ask for a penny for the guy as well ahhhhhhh happy days of innocence.

Welcome Garoid. Nice to hear your memories. If you search the Forum you’ll find a thread about St Chads school too. Viv.

A plan of the Hall. Looks to have had very good facilities, including workshops with an emphasis on Arts and Crafts. Assuming the interior was also in that style, it must have been an inspiring place to work/perform/visit. Viv

15D1F92A-B99B-4D6D-A2BD-68BB54BE3DFF.jpegF1A4B52A-5B3A-47E7-9181-71A5A2C9C762.jpegSource:British Newspaper Archive

Anyone else used to go to youth club at Kyrle Hall in Sheep street . Story of te ghost of John Kyrle haunting the place story goes that he jumped off the top of the building. I used to go regularly to open up and have certainly had one or two spooky experiences. Noises ,footsteps etc .
Great days. My family lived next door to the the hall at 34 sheep st and I used to train in the boxers gym at the back. I loved the budgie show in the main hall there once a year. Oh to be twelve agsin.

Welcome Garoid. How lucky (and convenient !) to have lived so close. Such a inspiring building. Must have felt proud to have been able to train there. Viv.

Yes indeed viv. We used the air raid shelter in the inner square which was the back of our houses and Kiel hall as a playground. I returned to Ireland with my family shortly after leaving sheep st and only recently returned to see my beloved Aston Villa playing with my grown up Children. I have to be honest I was terribly disappointed to see the city Center. The bullring is almost non existent. I think whoever designed the new Birmingham didn’t have the interests of the people of brum very much at heart. I do miss the brum of my day early to late sixties. I’m bringing my wife over soon to show her my childhood memories in place song and story. The Birmingham Irish society over here in Dublin is thriving for the last sixty eight years. Fond memories. Penny for the guy etc.

Back