• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Newspapers : Birmingham Papers (usually BhamPost) 150 Years Ago 1867-

Council learns that city coat of arms is incorrect.
A common error in the Birmingham Coat of Arms was to have the diagonal lozenges (diamond shapes) in the first and fourth quarters of the shield running the wrong way. This could be seen in the terracotta over the old gatehouse at Winson Green Prison which can no longer be seen. However where it can be seen still today is in the back room of the Old Joint Stock pub in Temple Row West engraved in the window glass.

New building for Union club. this building still seems to be standing, though now it is now occupied, amongst others, by Reuben Colley Fine Art & Fleetmilne Property (according to streetview).
Explosion of boiler in Bordesley Green.
Borough analyst with nothing to analyse.
borough analyst with nothing much to do.jpg explosion at bordesley Green.jpg new building for union club.jpg

Mike - How nice to see the description of the inside of a building. Usually these places just get a quick mention but I shall print this and read at leisure. I see that Yeoville Thomason has his finger in yet another pie!

Christchurch at Sparkbrook nearly complete
Temporary church for St Alban's worshippers.

christchurch sparkbrook.jpg temporary church while St albans is extended.jpg

IMG_1796.jpg

Interesting here is that Christ Church would be close to its 150th aniversary in 2017, but...

"Christ Church parish has existed for nearly one hundred and fifty years, the Victorian building a central feature of community life over that time. However, in 2005 a tornado ripped through south east Birmingham rendering the church building unsafe and necessitating its demolition."

In 1867 the population is predicted to soon rise to 10,000, a very large proportion of the poorer class. It will provide 900 Sittings, all on the floor, of which a third at least will be free forever.

Added is a clip from July 1900 from an aggrieved Parishioner. The population is now 23,000 and includes a vast proportion of lower middle and well-to-do artisans, but all is not well!

New direct rail route to be made between Walsall & Wolverhampton.
Further information on early machine-made files.

more about machine made files.jpg Walsall to wolverhampton railway.jpg

They missed out one thing in this sale notice- "Well known House of Ill repute"
Recipe for how to illegally "extend" your gin and rum given in court.

grand sultan divan for sale.jpg Recipe for illiegal gin and rum.jpg

Last edited:
Mike I hadn't appreciated the difference between saccharin and saccharine, the former an artificial sugar not developed until later in the C19th. and the latter an adjective for "sweetness".

Had alway thought that beerhouses could only sell beer and cider, but apparently it was also possible for them to obtain a (presumably separate) wine licence.

beerhouse with wine licence.jpg

Description of Birmingham in 1825
Seems like people were keen to push welfare provision onto private organisations then as well. Quite rightly some people questioned the possible results
Never realised that a significant vote in favour of the women's franchise occurred as early as 1867.
Seems like in 1867 passengers on an omnibus paid on alighting.

Description of Birmingham 1825.jpg privatisation of welfare.jpg franchise for women considered.jpg overcroded omnibus.jpg

#194 - Mike, I think it was at Nechells baths where they also had a 'Ladies Only' session. It was called 'Swimmin for Wimmin' (probably not that spelling but it always tickled me).

IMG_1810.jpg
Description of Birmingham in 1825
Seems like people were keen to push welfare provision onto private organisations then as well. Quite rightly some people questioned the possible results
Never realised that a significant vote in favour of the women's franchise occurred as early as 1867.
Seems like in 1867 passengers on an omnibus paid on alighting.

View attachment 114703 View attachment 114706 View attachment 114704 View attachment 114705

March 1914 another opening..

The Bournville DC College used the facilities of the Cadbury sports facilities. It must have been segregated swimming as I recall where I went was a male only, in the buff, affair.
Presumably it was the same for the girls although I never asked nor saw. :eek:

Cadbury's had two baths, one for men, one for women, the women's being more impressive. now offices

Cadbury's had two baths, one for men, one for women, the women's being more impressive. now offices

Eric, loved the O'Brien brothers! I had heard this before but wouldn't have remembered it without this. I presume they were O'Briens in the film as the one on the right must be Gene Kelly.

Heard of acting like a fishwife, but apparently acting like a fishmonger means biting off someone's nose, or part of.
Perhaps something needed to be done about Birmingham's water supplies. A few years later soemthing was, the Corporation took them over.
A tame fox in Soho Hill. Even then not everyone was a sadist like some members of the House of Lords are today.
"Not in me to be disorderly ma Lord !"

Attachments

• nose bitten off in coleshill st.jpg
    nose bitten off in coleshill st.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 14
  • Water supplied by water company not necessarily as good as required.jpg
    Water supplied by water company not necessarily as good as required.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 13
  • not in him to be disorderly.jpg
    not in him to be disorderly.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 13
  • tame fox in soho hill.jpg
    tame fox in soho hill.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 12
Mike, I was very interested in the tame fox but couldn't read it all due to the forum mark over it. I'm sure someone has better eyes than me and could tell me.
Do you think the phrase 'biting someone's nose off' is from a real episode - I always thought it was just an expression. Also very interesting.

My mother used to say " He would bite his nose off to spite his face "
A saying of some deep meaning but as a kid it went right over my head !

Tim. Yes for very small images there is a problem. hope this is better for you. I took the title for the nose incident from the original title.
the text says it was only part of the nose that was bitten off. When I was in Leeds in the 1970s a girl was sent to prison for a similar offence, and heard the victim there described as haveing his nose bitten off, again a slight exaggeration, though no less painful for him.

Clipboard.jpg

Back