• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hockley GWR Station

dib44

master brummie
Just wondering if anyone has a photograph of Hockley GWR railway station they would be kind enough to post please, would love to see one of the frontage taken from Icknield Street.

Kind regards

Dibs

Last edited:
Not really what you were looking for either, but these are from platform of the derelict hockley station after services had stopped on the line and (just) before the demolition of the goods sheds . I also have some others of the old sheds if they are of any interest.

Best wishes
mike

0A.jpg

6A~0.jpg

Sorry. One was of inside of sheds. Uploaded wrong one. should have been this.

mike

3A~0.jpg

Great images.

Thank you to both Mikes.

I had a few great images of Hockley Station and goods yards until my PC a a Benny and dumped the folder :-( I will have to search the internet again for them.

I still have a couple relating to war damage in 1940.

Many thanks both, I know there is a image out there somewhere because Smudge did a drawing of Hockley Station from Key Hill cemetery, and I understand most of his works where taken from photographs.

Once again many thanks both, may I copy the images please? only for personal use :)

your very welcome tyo mine, and, as I say, I've some others of the sheds at the same time

Mike

Are these any good to you, I'm sorry but I can't remember where they came from. I think the one with the train came off the web.

pmc1947

HockleyStnc1959.jpg
HockleyIcknieldStRailwayBridge.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
PMC, cheers for those two images, the one I had from Rail Around Birmingham
& the West Midlands

Thank you.

Now PMC, the other one, the photograph taken of the rail bridge going over Icknield Street, now the painting by Ron "Smudge" Smith is of the other side of the bridge, taking in the bridge over Icknield Street and Hockley Station entrance and from memory shows a number 8 inner city circle bus appearing from under the bridge from what information I have he painted from photographs, and I have seen the photograph in question somewhere in the dark and distant past, that is the image I am trying to find, ring any bells?

Mike Jenks and Mike Jee, really appreciate the photographs, thank you,
and I would appreciate seeing the other shed images please.

my email is rayb at rayb dot net, many thanks,

Dibs

Hi Mike.

What a lovely surprise to open up those images, thank you.

I was born in George Street West, the bottom end by Pitsford Street, and Hockley GWR was one one of our playgrounds.
I left in 1961, and missed the demolition and rebuilding.

Many summer nights I used to drift off to sleep with the background music of the shunter's marshaling their trains in the huge freight depot ,
and the main line trains whistling their approach to Hockley Railway Station from Wolverhampton, or Snow Hill.

Even the GWR horses kept us occupied as we cadged a ride up Pitsford Street on the back of the GWR horse pulled freight wagons.

Not sure when you took the images Mike, but jpeg 7 showing Key Hill cemetery on the left and the jewelry quarter ahead is wonderful,
jpeg 3 is very evocative, showing the chimney of the Birmingham Mint and Warstone Lane cemetery too.

jpeg 5 also shows good views of Warstone Lane cemetery , The Peg in the jewelery quarter and a glimpse of the Post Office Tower,
the "hockleyraildepot.jpg" image is just as great showing the location because of the houses in Pitsford Street (Left) and houses
in All Saints Street too, as well as the rails going away to Wolverhampton, this scene also shows the gates in All saints Road,
many a time I spent Sunday mornings at those gates instead of going to Sunday School in All Saints Church, and placing the 1d
mom and dad gave me for the collection on the track so that the shunter's would run over the said 1d and flatten it ; - )

Goodness knows how those engine drivers put up with us kids, for the gates were closed Sundays, but we would scale the wall easy peasy in those days.

All in all wonderful images Mike, and a big thank you for sharing them with me.

Once again, profound thanks.

Kind regards.

dibs

Ray
I'm glad you found the images interesting. I no longer live in Brum (unfortunately), but in Reading. In all I lived in birmingham from 67 - 73 and then again from late 77 - mid 81. The pictures were taken in the earlier period, not long before the site was cleared I would think. Unfortunately some years ago I lost a lot of written material in a sewage flood of my cellar in Leeds, and so my written notes for this have been destroyed. Luckily the negatives of this and other pictures I took in that period around birmingham in the jewellery quarter, highgate, balsall heath, market area and some other areas were not destroyed, but information, other than my memory (not good after 35 years) and what I can deduce from street names etc is rather lacking. Am trying to slowly piece together identifications. I did not previously post the other pictures I sent you on the site, but will do so now of the outside views in case they are of interest to others

Mike

5A.jpg

4A.jpg

10A_entrance_to_tunnel~0.jpg

1A.jpg

I was driving a concrete mixer truck during the mid 70,s and remember delivering to the housing site that was built over HockleyGoods. Many time the diggers came across old track that had been buried for years together with the blue cobbles that made up the roads It was allways "heads out the window" as we passed on our way to Wolverhampton or Shrewsbury during our spotting trips in th 60,s

It is nice to see these pictures of Hockley at the end of its life. Looks to be perhaps around 1972 when the last train ran. BR used to have a single car DMU that ran between Snow Hill and Wolverhampton from a bay platform at Snow Hill. There was also the odd DMU car towards Langley Green. When that finished and the track was taken up at Hockley, there was still the track from Smethwick West to Handsworth cement and Coopers Metals. There was also a piece of track kept at Wednesbury for the Patent Shaft that went towards Hill Top and another access from the Wolverhampton Freight Terminal at Monmore Green.

The only pics I have are these two...

Attachments

• Hockley station.jpg
    Hockley station.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Hockley train station.JPG
    Hockley train station.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 31
mike i think post 14 pic 3 and post 17 pic 1 both show the big peg building vyse st/warstone lane

lyn

Last edited:
sorry mike i should have said post 14 pic 3 not 2:rolleyes: have edited..

lyn

Last edited:
Another one I picked up recently on my travels through and around the web.

Attachments

• Hockley Pickford St Rail Station.jpg
    Hockley Pickford St Rail Station.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 49
Just came across this 1927 photograph of Hockley Goods Depot. Love the old vehicles.
(Courtesy of Road Vehicles of the Great Western Railway, by Philip J. Kelley)

Eddie

Apologies Mike, I must have pressed the wrong key.!
Hope this is better

Attachments

• Hockley Goods Yard 1927 001.jpg
    Hockley Goods Yard 1927 001.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
Found these two

Attachments

• hockley station.jpg
    hockley station.jpg
    415.7 KB · Views: 34
  • HOCKLEY STATION 2.jpg
    HOCKLEY STATION 2.jpg