• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Prana (health food shop and restaurant)

Yes Lady P, Prana was wholefood. Minimal processing, but don't know to what extent. At that time I expect it was less easy for catering businesses to get hold of some products/ingredients that hadn't gone through some form of processing. Viv.

There's still a problem with getting some of the ingredients Viv but I order it from the internet every couple of months. I do quite a bit of shopping in Slade Road and at Witton as the shops there cater for those who are veggie on religious grounds. The spices are so much cheaper too. We usually find that where there's a uni or college there's usually a good vegan / veggie restaurant nearby - Birmingham please note - actually the Gunmaker's is in a good spot or is that not a coincidence?

I once had a vegetarian pate sandwich upstairs at Prana (which might at that time have been Holland & Barrett), and had to ask if they were sure there was no meat in it, because it really tasted like meat! I don't remember a lot about the bread etc. that they sold. There used to be something called Tartex, which you can still get, a bit like pate in a tube.
We had our wedding reception at Whitaker's, the vegetarian restaurant at Five Ways, now long gone.

Don't remember any veggie pate at Prana, but I vaguely remember a veggie sausage roll, the 'sausage' being textured soya. They did veggie flans too. Viv.

I made veggie sausage rolls but decided that Linda McCartney ones were nicer. Parker's discovered porkless pies believe it or not!

Back