• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Co-op bakery

derek. it could have been him he would have been now in his late 50s early60s. he played in goal for us( adderley fc) other than that i have no more knowledge of him.
vic

Derek, the snooker hall and nearly all the shops and houses that were on that triangular piece of land opposite the bulls head (manor house) have been pulled down.

the only other co-op bakery was messenger road smethwick that i know of

I had three uncles work at Coop manor road all long service, i used to help my Uncle Jim on his round on Saturdays (Lea Village, the Glebe) around 1955/6.
Have a couple of pics of Coop Van with horse named Dennis dont know how to put them on here help welcomed. Alan.

what years were they there,im sure i remember arthur not to sure about jimmy and norman

Norman is 85 now Jimmy would have been 87 & Arthur is74 Norman & Arthur finished when the bakery closed Jimmy about 12 years before

Hi Maybell: I can just about remember the horse drawn bread vans. Anyone remember if they were green with the Co-op gold letters or maroon or both. I have a picture in my mind of them but not sure what the colour was.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello vic,i,ll check it out when my mate comes back of his hols,
Pete lived the bottom of Garrison lane the other side of the park,
he worked in the market for R F Willis,as it goes i,ve found another old mate
on here who he also worked with.
tell you what Vic if you click on the dereklcg you can look at my
photo album,there,s me and another mate in front of a zephyr,and Pete,s at the back of us. regards Derek

Hi Derek
I was reading your start of this thread and you mentioned Beales Stores i remember it well, it was jam packed with everything that they could make money on i think that our asian brothers used it as an example on how to fill a shop.
My Granparents lived down at 2 The Lea the big houses on the roundabout and i used to take the bets round to Sailer the bookies runner by the Barbers shop.

I delivered up the Lea,newspapers co-op milk and with Wilson,s bakery,over the years
went to lea village had a car smash in lea hall rd wrote my car off.
Worked at the gulf garage up the top knocked about round the poolway,
used to have my haircut at the bungalow barbers,
happy days Derek

HI DEK ;
Only yesterday i had to drive to stechford and went up passin the old bakery ; and blimmey was was shocked its now an old people estate complex for the elderly it looked like brook side complex strictley for the old people it looked a very plush estate of affair i had my son with me whom never knew the area
and i gave him the load down on the rd and told him how it was the bakery ; and even poited out hismoms old house where i met his mom and his grand mothers house and told him where we met on the rd and passing the big park facing the old bakery ;
where i was a youth worker geting all the kids of all ages to play games and foot ball and rounders on there there was always fifty kids
whom turned up every evening ; here was two local gilrls whom lived facing the backery the family was arnolds ; she turned out for foot ball
and as she got older she played serious foot ball proffessionly for the womens of solihull
it certainly brought back memoriesfor me i even went into the iron horse pub ; but i was shocked to see the state of the place i certainly came out quicker than i went in ; its was appalling ;if the old gather was there he would have never seen it go down the pan like that ;
i went to see a customer there up at ellmore rd just up over the bridge ;i have to go back next tueday ;so if you want to know more or any pictures i will get you one station rd is bad ; i recall parkycowan; and levis and the albert rd in fact i do know the area verywell
best wishes astonian;

I remember all your uncles I was your uncle Jims assistant 1959-1961 he was a true gent his wife (i can't remember her name) worked at Paynes shoe repair shop Station Rd opposite Manor Rd, Norman was married to Jim and Arthur's sister there was another brother Ronnie, he didn't work at the bakery he was a bit of a lad with the ladies. I take it Jim is no longer with us, is his wife still alive, if so and you happen to see her remember me to her. My name is John Onions also Arthur might remember me but it is a long time ago I was only 15 when I worked with Jim this has brought back so many happy memories.

Hi There, We lost Norman Last Month He would have been 90 end of Jan. Jim's Wife Was Chris. Arthur Still with us 86 years old. My Dad was Ronnie & there is an other Brother Stan he will be 90 this year. You will be the same age as me born 1944 and if you worked with Jim it would have been The Glebe and Lea Village Round, I used to do the round as a Saturday Job in 1955/6

Hi There, We lost Norman Last Month He would have been 90 end of Jan. Jim's Wife Was Chris. Arthur Still with us 86 years old. My Dad was Ronnie & there is an other Brother Stan he will be 90 this year. You will be the same age as me born 1944 and if you worked with Jim it would have been The Glebe and Lea Village Round, I used to do the round as a Saturday Job in 1955/6

Are you young Ronnie as your nan and grandad used to call you, yes I am the same age as you and the round was Glebe and Lea Village Folliet Rd, Kemp Rd, Eddish Rd, South and North Roundahay just to mention a few. I don't recall Stan, sorry to hear about Norman is Chris still alive. The last time I saw Jim was sometime in the 80ts when he left the bakery he went delivering cars on trade plates and I picked him up at Lydiat Ash island.
He then invited me and my wife to his house which was at Marston Green where I met Chris again after all those years.

Hi John, Chris Died 1n 1986, Jim 1996. Young Ronnie was my older Bro born 1942, He died aged 25 a bad Diabetic which he had from a very early age. Jim used to Deliver Proper Rover Cars before BL took over. Regards Alan.

Hi Alan, sorry to hear that your brother young Ronnie died at such an early age as I recall I met him once at your nan and grandads house 1959/1960 of course in those days Jim and Chris lived with your nan and grandad. If I recall didn't your dad live down South somewhere I think it was Hertfordshire I may be wrong it has been a very long time ago but it seems like yesterday, when I used to mate Jim I had just left school at that time you left at 15 my wages were £5-10 shillings a week for 5 and a half days, very happy days. Regards John.

Hi guys, anybody out there work at the co op bakery in smethwick, 1965 to1975, bring back some memories.

Back