• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Fish And Chip Shop Ickneild Street Springhill Birmingham 18 156z57

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
hi mike
i am trying to pin point a relative to my mothers family way back in the late fiftys
it was a chippie shop very close to the spring hill libary oppersite and next to
bullpitts factory by the junction of springhill
there was a news agents right next door to it bud sadly i cannot give you a shop
number to it ;
what i can say to you at that period there was only two chippie shops on ickneild road
At that period is there any chance you get an map of springhill for thatperiod
and may be work out an shop number if possible
or could you sus out two shop keepers of chipies on ickneild street for that period
i know it sounds abit like ttrying to find a needle in the haystack
many thnks for your time in reading my request best wishes Alan,, Astonian,,,

Must have missed your request Alan, but the 1955 Kellys lists 3 Chppies in Icknield St, at 67, 150 & 180. The nearest to Bullpitt's was at 150, run then by Mrs Ivy Stone, which is two shops away from a newsagent. So I guess that is the one you are looking for.

map c 1955 showing chip shop at 150 Icknield St.jpg

Hi MIKE
Firstly to say a big thank you for dealing with my request i know you are very active on dealing with other
Members request as you do and i know you have to have time in digging out the members request
Abig thank you to you mike and thank you for the map ,but ii knew the out lay and the postion of the shops as i grew up right
next to them they was our shopping parade and also worked in the back of the chippie doing spud bashing and battering the Fish and bringing inand putting it in the fryer , also my mom was doing the serving to customers
Speaking of customers , i have got to tell you the little story about a certain customer whom came in at lunch time
As a lot of bul[pitts employees cme in for there dinner
this one day a guy whom was a foreman at bulpitts came in and asked for hake and chip ,wehich he got and payed for
Nice guy we thought very chattie but he went back to work with his fish / chips
At five oclock the end of there day he came marching in to the shop with is waste screwed up papers
abn at the counter he blartted out to ivy, excuse me madden that fish was terrible and i would like a refund
So he opened the paper and he showed her the skeletion of the bones of the fish
he had actualy cleaned it to the bone while he ate it she said get out my sho[ and dont come back you cheeky so and so
Th chap whom an the news agents two doors away had another shop along spring hill facing george sreet west
that was anolther of his news agents business ,he was a very flash guy he was one of the first to buy the gernman
New cars imported from germany to england and he was the very first person to try out those help your self news paper machines out side his shops then there was one in kings heath next to the picture house that started a trend
soprry for going off track but the lady in question whom ran the chippy was an relative to my moms family the jelfs and apparently she was an aunt and she came down from scotland she jad a decent english accent but her husband had a large broad accent
She is the one i will be researching and i think she was connected to the perks family on my grand mothers side i think
well mike thanks a million for searching her name out for me. i know the area very well
Sid clergg pototoes fruit and veg was opersite her shop along with stoddards the butcher
sid done his home work befote buying the shop he used to stand on the corner ogf springhill ouside that picture befpe bulpitts obtained it and only sold pototoes of every brand and when he bought the shop for the first three months he sold only pototoes of every brand was you could buy or import at rock bottom prices built his trade that way and went pn for years before moving into the market
Whole sale , best wishes Alan,, Astonian,,,

A trivial anecdote.

Sometime about Christmas 1965 I was working late into the evening at my (after school) part-time job in the Jewellery Quarter: working late because of the Christmas rush to get orders processed. On my way home to catch the No8 (inner circle) bus that traversed Icknield Street, hunger-pains took hold and the smell of recently fried chips emanating from what I assume to be 180 Icknield Street became overwhelmingly compulsive for the then, thirteen year-old callow know-it-all.
On entering the dingy chippie I saw huge poster-sized framed photographs of some woman. I had no idea who she was and was more perplexed by the huge photographs in such a dingy chippie than by her obvious beauty. On ordering my bag of chips I asked who she was and was told it was the owner's niece or great niece (or something vice versa), from West Bromwich: a film star living in Hollywood USA. The film star was Madeleine Carroll.
Over the next few days the anecdote was told to anyone that listened and people either knew all about it or asked who's Madeline Carroll.

Hi D PL
Yes the chippie you are on about was a little further back down from springhill just yards from the gate pub as you come down from warstone lane and about a hundred yards from the warstone pub
yes she was well known lady from around the globe meaning her mother and the young super star she was on the wall
in a large black and white photographs around the shop
And she was very glamerous indeed
yes it was not very large the shop you stepped up two steps to walk in and she had a little seating area behind you to eat in
she was a little lady and bit stout in stature , i cannot think of her name at the moment but we had her on here some years ago
until it got high jacked by the scoundrels
I was a little local lad whom lived close bye and we used it quite often , even thou we had our relatives just up
from her on the oppersite side and we had mrs price just around the corner from the house
but the one you are on about she used to give you a large bag for your chipps and filled it up all for the same price as the others whom only used small bags with plenty of scratching within the bag
she was known by us local kids as hairy mary,s chippie but she was a very nice lady indeed
Its only when in adult hood we got to know her real name
as i said we have other people whom was local will recall her real name especialy an old member and friend whom comes on from time to time known as brookie girl , if lyn knows her number she will contact her
best wishes Astonian,,,,, Alan,,,

sorry alan i have never heard of a brookie girl on the forum there is however a brookieboy

lyn

Nothing to do with 'chippies' but looking at the map in Post 2 reminded me that a couple of doors down from the Turf PH, opposite the well known library, there was a faggots and peas shop. These sort of places were quite rare in the sticks and suburbia so Ladywood had it attractions. :D

hi lyn
i am sure its maggie from brookfields she aint been on for a long time , and i aint heard of brookie boy lyn either

as i said alan we dont have a member with the user name brookie girl..the only other member i can think of is member user name maggs....she is from that way

lyn

Hi Alan what year do you put this fggot and pea shop being opersite the turf pub
That was actualy facing the turf pub because actualy facing was the complete corner of springhill is the picture house of one time and there door way
but if you are walking down ickneild street heading towards the direction of the mint
And on the same side of the libary your first shop was the walter smith butchers secondly at one time in its hey day
the year i cannnot say there was once a tailor by the name of jelfs which was once inscripted or etched across the shop window was the name of jelfs , but later by the late forty or early fifty it became a huge pawn shop and jewlers amongest other things
this is in the fiftys then we had a fruit and veg shop , then there was an hardware and iron momgers shop
then there was a wide opening to get down the side of the shops then there was stoddards the butchers , then a large tobacconist shop
so thats you a little paces passing the libary
oppersite those last couple of shops i have mentionioned was stating again from the very corner of springhill
heading the same way down was the wall of the picture house with its doors along side the building
a couple of the exits which i presume was the picture hiuse before bulpitts took it on
there door ways , then you had the news agents and i think it was a toy shop after him then the chippie i am mentionioned
was the one i was on about
If you went along springhill its self eventualy you would come to the faggots and pease shop
but that was at the very end of the shopping are of spring hill and opersite them was the same man whom owns the one
on ickneild street incidently it yards from the coach and horse pub on springhill and operite that was the queens head
also opersite the faggotts shop was a bread makers and cakes called cooks bakery where you could get a peice of bread pdding for a penny a slice this is yards from springhill passage by the way if you knew springhill
back at springhill itself and oppersite the libary on the alternive corner to the turf pub was the big midlands bank
and next to him was bill landon plumbing and hardware shop selling baths as well and just yards passing the bank at springhill was the number eight bus stop going towards edgbaston , like wise oppersite going to hockley brook and out side the stoddards shop was the number eight bus and also opersite the chippie shop i requested
i think may be before one time the other chippie did or may have served faggots but not i recall
yes the other people along springhill did by the zebra crossinf at the bottom end of springhill and opersite that cook shop
because we lived up the top end of springhill passage and took jugs for faggoots on wek ends
and beleive you there was ques in galore to get them they eventualy sold to the italians whom was there for donkeys years
in fact rifght up until the years of demolish best wishes Alan,, Astonian,

thank you lynn for your reply
i can only presume i have takrn it out her conversation at some point years ago she used the expression and called herself a brookie girl
in some part of her conversation yes it was maggie i knew this over ten years ago i used to speak to her a hell of aloy and her partner
the last time i heard from her must be over 12 months ago and she was going for a medical check
any wat once again lyn many thanks Alan,,

Yes, I did talk about the fish and chip shops in Icknield St., The one by the Gate pub was Morgans, and the one almost opposite the library was Gibbons. I used to use both of these as a child in the 1950's. They were both good. I am trying to remember the name of the newsagent where I used to get my dad's Argus from on a Saturday. The other newsagent in Icknield St was Constables down by Stoddards butchers shop.

I did say the faggots and peas shop was a few doors down from the Turf PH and not opposite. That would mean down Spring Hill. Remember I am referring to a place I visited as a youngster, now and again and I did not live in the area: it was well over sixty years ago. I know that a great part of the area, lower Monument Road and part of Spring Hill has long gone so it would be hard to pinpoint the place. Of course, on reflection, it may well have been a simple cafe style place who sold faggots and peas, but as that was always the menu we chose I believed it to be a faggots and peas place.

The faggots and peas shop was on the left hand side as you went up Spring Hill. It was not far from Alibone and Bachelor corner opposite. When we were kids we used to take out basin and have them filled. I don't remember it being a sit in place though. Mrs Morgan who ran the fish and chip shop by the Gate pub, sort of between there and Payne's shoe repairers did have a daughter called Liza Daniels, who photo's were displayed in the shop itself. I only remember that she made one film and I believe it was called 'The Gambler from Natchez'.

Yes, I did talk about the fish and chip shops in Icknield St., The one by the Gate pub was Morgans, and the one almost opposite the library was Gibbons. I used to use both of these as a child in the 1950's. They were both good. I am trying to remember the name of the newsagent where I used to get my dad's Argus from on a Saturday. The other newsagent in Icknield St was Constables down by Stoddards butchers shop.
The news agent opposite the library was owned by Billy Howard his parents used to run it for him he also had a news agents down spring hill near to the queen's head pub.Billy Howard was always smartly dressed and had a citreon ds 19.I worked for him as a paper boy.

Hi thanks for accepting me to this site. I used to live at 5/28 Spring Hill behind Browns the boot menders and next to the billiard hall.with reference to the faggot and pea shop,I do believe it was owned by a family with the name of Arnold’s.

Back