• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Anglesey Street School

Jules I went to Anglesey, sounds like we must have been in the same year, I remember Mrs George was determined to teach me to read in her retirement year (I was a late Bloomer) I went up to Lozells Girls while the new building was built and I also lived on Burberry st number 218, oh yeah i was born in 65 too!
My name was Ian Ali.

I also remember mr Hodgkins(son) ,making us sing when I'm 64 and Maxwells silver hammer and the all time classic (not) "Dat" (Rasta ozzy from up de hill, decide to check pon im grocery bill), we used to sing these songs in assembley!

I was at Anglesey Street School from about 1968 (started in the nursery) and left in 1976/77. Would be interested in knowing the names of the staff there then. I remember a Mrs. George, Miss Smith, Mr Powell (the caretaker), Mrs Powell (no relation I think) school secretary, Mr. Bellfield, Mrs Fretsome, Mrs Whittaker. When the school split into Juniors being in the new building on Nursery Road and Infants staying in Anglesey Street, I remember the teachers being Mr. Olds, Mr. Hodgkins, Mrs. Hill.
There was also a Mr Thomas he was my teacher in the joiner school in about 75/76. Miss rose was the deputy head in the joiner school when it moved to nursery Rd. I remember most of there's teacher's especially Mrs George as she was my very first teacher in 67/68

Jules, will put list for 1979 on next, more of those you mention will appear there.

STAFF AT ANGLESEY STREET SCHOOL, OFFICIALLY 'THE ANGLESEY PRIMARY SCHOOL' AS EXTRACTED FROM THE SCHOOL DIARY FOR 1971. THE FIRST NAMES HAVE BEEN EXTRACTED FROM MY MEMORY, EXCEPT THAT OF THE HEADMASTER WHICH IS REVEALED EARLIER ON THIS THREAD HAVING BEEN A MYSTERY TO ME FOR NEARLY 50 YEARS.

HEADMASTER: MR S (Stanley) BELFIELD, DEPUTY: MISS D B BOYD
N WYBRANT, C GEORGE, P MUNDY, L GREEN (all Mrs)
R BESWETHERICK, R WOODCOCK (both Mr)
A STEPHENSON, J ARTINGSTOLL, B SLATER, E BLANCHARD, (all Miss)

NURSERY: V CAVILL, J HILL (both Mrs) ; K J WILSON, J ANDREWS, H ARMSTRONG, D SANDERS, W GREEN, C PARSONS (all Miss)

CLERICAL ASSISTANT: MRS S POWELL. CARETAKERS: MR & MRS R POWELL (unrelated to Mrs S, as I recall)

MEALS: E J (Joyce) WHEELDON, J (Joan) RYDER {formerly BEET, having been widowed under that name}, B SMITH, D KELLY (all Mrs)
MEALS SUPERVISORS: E (Edna) COOPER, C HAWKINS, E (Betty) LYCETT, M (Millie) WALE, B YARDLEY (All Mrs)

NIT NURSE (sorry, HEALTH VISITOR): NURSE V GREENE
TRAFFIC WARDEN: MRS E DEAVILLE

STAFF WHO WERE THERE IN MY TIME (1959-1965) IN ADDITION TO MR BELFIELD (yes, it is only one 'L'), MISS GEORGE* & MRS MUNDY WERE: MISS WHITE, MR WOOD, MRS WRIGHT.
THE POWELLS WERE CARETAKERS THEN & HAD BEEN FOR SOME TIME, ALSO IN POST BEFORE MY TIME, I BELIEVE, WERE MRS CAVILL & MRS WHEELDON.

MR BELFIELD DROVE A BLACK 'SIT UP AND BEG' FORD POPULAR, MR WOOD HAD THE LATER MODEL IN BLUE, MRS MUNDY A RENAULT DAUPHINE (A RARE SIGHT), AND MRS WRIGHT A YELLOW AND WHITE VAUXHALL CRESTA (A HUGE AMERICAN-STYLE THING WHICH SEEMED DEAD COOL, AND PROBABLY WAS. SO WAS SHE, ACTUALLY, COS SHE WAS A CLASSY LADY WHO CORRECTLY PREDICTED THAT I'D PASS THE 11+ WHEN WOOD SAID I WOULDN'T.)
*THIS IS THE UNMARRIED GEORGE, NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE MRS GEORGE OF LATER YEARS.

I remember Mr woodcock married one of the other teachers. For the life of me I can't remember her name ( even though she was my teacher) I remember that she was a small lady with long hair.

Not a great quality photo of a class at the school but might be of interest. Sorry, but don't know the date. Viv.
image.jpeg

I taught at Anglesey Infant School in 1974/5. It was my first teaching post. I was Miss Shanahan, the HT was Mrs Holdcroft and other teachers there at the time were Mrs. Morrell and Miss Woodruff. Spent a very happy two years there before moving away to Newcastle!

Mr. Hodgkinson used to teach us songs - when I'm 64 by the Beatles seems to stick in my memory. He wasn't very tall either I seem to remember. I'd forgotton all about Mr. Williams - I remember him quite well actually. Welsh guy - well with a name like Williams! Do you remember a Mrs Fretsome - gosh you have got the memories flooding back now.

Did Mr Williams have a droopy moustache and a fondness for stripy rugby shirts?

I went there after leaving Farm Street in...... maybe '74. It was a new, modern building when I went there.

I remember Mr Olds. Once I left my coat behind on a visit to Sutton Park. I remembered it when I was sat upstairs on the bus that had taken us. Before the bus pulled away, I ran to ask him if I could go and get it - he helped me along by giving me a shove that sent me falling down the bus stairs!

Mrs Fretsom left Anglesey at about the same time I did - 1979 . I went to Handsworth New Road, and she got married and became the head teacher of the infant school right next to the lower annex of HNR ........ Boulton Road School (? Maybe)

Edit: "Mrs Fretsom left to get married" - That doesn't make a lot of sense I know...... but I know she did change her name because while I was at HNR we often spoke to each other, and she told me her name wasn't Fretsom any more. Maybe at 11 years old I just assumed she'd married haha

Last edited:
Yes Mr William's had a droopy moustache . I had my last year at Angelesy in the new building. We merged with Farm Street School I think and Mr Olds was our form teacher. I did visit my mother in law as she was a dinner lady there in the late '80's and Mr Olds was the headteacher then.

Yes Mr William's had a droopy moustache . I had my last year at Angelesy in the new building. We merged with Farm Street School I think and Mr Olds was our form teacher. I did visit my mother in law as she was a dinner lady there in the late '80's and Mr Olds was the headteacher then.

My Mom was the lollipop lady outside the school - I think she did it from around 76 to 86 :)

Hi all, I just stumbled across this after talking about school for my little one and the names of teachers mentioned brought memories if a little misty come flooding back! I I think I started at Anglesey infant school in 1975. I remember my first teacher Mrs.Howe. Other teachers I remember are Miss Bickley and Miss Payne. I can still remember the voice of a the headteacher Mrs. Holdcroft.

I also went to Anglesey infant school and remember Mr.Williams and his moustache...big rugby fan who didn't like the all blacks. I remember Mr. Hodgkins too, had a beard.

I also remember going to a Sunday school with a vicar from St.Silas's church.

Wonderful times and fond memories.

Great to have stumbled on this site. I have many happy memories of Anglesey school.
Mr Bellfield was the headteacher. Miss Stephenson was my first teacher, then Mr Woodcock ( he used to play the guitar to us , he married Miss Russell). Mr Thompson was my final year ( and favourite) teacher. I also remember Mr Beswetheryk, and Mrs Wybrant who taught us choir.

Happy times

I went to Anglesey Junior and Infant school from 1975. I remember all the teachers mentioned, there was also a Miss Lawler?
I remember 2 residential school trips. 1 was on a canal boat and Mr Williams daughter came, she lost her shoe in the canal and cried.
The other trip was to Wales, Mr Hodgkin was cool but a bit mean.
I remember Mr Belfield and Mr Olds who used to use his tie to clean his glasses.

I went to Anglesey Junior and Infant School from 1979. remember a lot of these names mentioned, Mr Olds, Miss Lawler, Mr Williams, Mr Hodgkin, and the Head when i left was Mr Evans. Our residential trip was to Atherstone, Great trip. lived just over the back on the new estate they built, Melbourne Avenue, Garden was so close to the school my Dad would throw over a chocolate bar when on break. used to play for school football team over at Wood Lane football fields in handsworth. Great Memories

Some images of Anglesey Street School here:

Wow! I never knew his christian name. I have very fond memories of him and my time at Anglesey Street School.

You must have been there after the school split into the two buildings with the Junior children moving to the new school on Nursery Road. I was only at the new school for one year before moving up to Holte. I think Mrs Carter may have been the Miss Slater who I remember. I remember Mr. Powell well he used to give us a sweet at playtime sometimes. My mom worked there well after I had left as a dinner lady. (probably late 80's)

When you went to the Junior school was there a Mr. Olds there? I think he eventually replaced Mr Bellfield. Mr. Bellfield used to do morris dancing sometimes in assembly, with his fellow morris dancers! There was also a Mr Hodgkinson and a Mrs Hill who used to take netball.
I went to Anglesey Street back in the 1960's and I remember Mr Belfield well. He set up a Junior Morris Dancing team and I got "volunteered" by Mr Belfield to be part of it. We went around to quite a few dance festivals and even got to be on the radio, live from Martineau Square.. although I'm not sure how effective the radio was for thing like Morris dancing lol.
I remember other teachers like Mr Woods, Mrs George, Mrs Beswetherick and, from when I was in the Nursery there, Mrs Caville... who I used to call Mrs Cabbage

Last edited:
I went to Anglesey Street back in the 1960's and I remember Mr Belfield well. He set up a Junior Morris Dancing team and I got "volunteered" by Mr Belfield to be part of it. We went around to quite a few dance festivals and even got to be on the radio, live from Martineau Square.. although I'm not sure how effective the radio was for thing like Morris dancing lol.
I remember other teachers like Mr Woods, Mrs George, Mrs Beswetherick and, from when I was in the Nursery there, Mrs Caville... who I used to call Mrs Cabbage
I was there in the 60s then went to harry lucas

Back