• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

New Street Station From1854

Far too fanciful I believe. :D Given that the 'photo suggests the 1950's I thing Teddy Boys and knuckledusters come to mind.

Another somewhat 'moody' photo of New Street Station, looking out at Station Street. You almost expect a character from 'The Third Man' to step from the shadows - or is that too fanciful for New Street?

View attachment 113996
Is this Station St.? Seems to have an incline and Station St is virtually level. Could it possibly be Snow Hill and Livery St.? Anyone recognise the shops opposite?

Is this Station St.? Seems to have an incline and Station St is virtually level. Could it possibly be Snow Hill and Livery St.? Anyone recognise the shops opposite?

OK Hawkeye, you are right! I could pretend that I was waiting for someone to spot the deliberate mistake, but the photo I posted (from a set I 'inherited') is clearly marked on the back as 'New Street Station looking out at Station Street' and I just accepted that as true. However, having tracked down the business opposite it is clear that Geo L. Brown was at 5 Livery Street. Good knowledge from you.

Comes from years of frequenting Station St! Market Hotel, the old Rep and a Chinese restaurant was it the Liang Nam or The Happy Gathering not to mention twice daily trips across the city from the bus station in Edgbaston St to Colmore Circus on my daily commute to work.

Don't think cattle were ever transported to New St anyway, it was Bordesley, Camp hill or Banbury St wharves (for the cattle market. the latter seems the obvious place here.

As Mike says there were no facilities for cattle at New Street. I did however see elephants there once. There was a parcels van by the buffers on platform 2 or 2a and two railway men opened the door to see what was in the van and an elephant's trunk came out. They quickly pushed it back and shut the door.

The L&NWR, later LMS, as far as I know handled cattle and livestock at Curzon Street and Banbury Street. However, Bingley Hall put on cattle shows at one time - as suggested in the newspaper clip - so maybe the animals for those shows were unloaded at New Street. They were, after all, not destined for immediate slaughter ans presumably the Curzon Street and Banbury street animals were.
This might explain the sightings in New Street.

IMG_1748.jpg

Bingley Hall 1850.

Surprisingly if you search on the Forum for Bingley Hall it seems to only comes up with a couple of mentions.

I can fins more than a couple of mentions. Are you sure you unticked "this thread only" box?

mike i would have said bordesley street myself but bearing inmind of slut lane and of course around the squre mile of the hide and skin
yard there was quite afew holding penns the quarter of bordesly street
at the moment i just cannot think of the named roads closest
as a nipper at grand fatheres and my mothers house every time i had been visiting to them at week ends
the drovers always came along meriden street from the bottom of the bull ring to walk them into the hide and skin yard wich was virtualy next door to our house and coffee shop probaly about thirty yards passing the windows at the top of bordesly street there was holding penns in the lane , and only twice over the years they ever came down bordesly street and there as been an animal that escaped an odd cow \ or sheep they chased it down bordesley street then when you turn into meridan street at the lights
there was the railway arches which went went right back and it would come out of there or they would come out on meriden street
they would always come from that direction not from fazely street end thats the way i see it its the penns in slut lane and merieden stree t
and i say it would have been one or the other
my grandfather used to have axcess to the yard from his back gates of the shop and in those early years of the days
they used to come around to the shop and say ernie can we borrow jacko thats the dog rats have been seen again,,

Looking down Queens Drive from Hill Street/Navigation St junction, nice picture. Certainly after 1904 as there are electric trams.

Last edited:
Hi devon jim
If you came out of moor street and walk down towards digbeth and i think it was park street
the very first street you come to which i beleive in then days there was the thearter next to the old ship inn on the corner
and you walk up that road down under the railway bridge and it starts to go in an incline
they was cobbled streets in those days meaning you are walking up the hill once you cleared of the railway bridge
that you are walking under you would get the sighting of what was left of the old crooked lane
but afew yards back walking from there and cross over and walk afew more steps you would see it slut lane
In the fortys and very early fifties they was taken cattle of alsorts to the very bottom of the lane
as you walk down slut lane it was like most of the arches that was below that railway bridge
from moor street heading out it went over alot of side roads as it proceeds to bordesly statation
and of corse like meridan street there was about six arches under that bridge
meridan street is a continuation of new cannal street and bordesly street is on the very corner
as you come to the corner of the corner of bordesley street there was the dog pub ,
and directly oppersite the pub was where new cannal street started my family was at number one on the very beginning of new
cannal street and about ninety yards from that corner was the hide and skin
in slut lane there was abit of skinning done there there used to be large drunms of animal waste and blood running along there
as a nipper i did attempt to investigate by waking down but the smell and all tons of waste made it very smelly
and seeing blood by the galleond i change my mind and went down bordesly street to nans hhouse and shop
that was slut lane

I lived on the Lyndhurst Estate 1959-1972 and always thought the line bordering it's western boundary was LMS, I recently discovered from a map of 1892-1908 vintage it was actually L&NWR, were they amalgamated?
Peg.

New Street Station when the King and Queen visited in 1909 to open Birmingham University. Viv.

3F8CDF25-2C79-4221-B32F-6715E73F63BE.jpeg

That old picture could suggest a special train is due to arrive or something unusual is going to happen. I believe the left hand side is Midland Railway and the right hand side the London & North Western. The colours look correct for the L&NWR

Back