• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tracking Down Medal Citations?

Actongrumpy

The Quinton Kid
Albert Thomas Smith, army number 15/491, was a Sergeant Cook in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment - 15th (Service) Battalion (2nd Birmingham). Theatre of war - France, entered 21st November 1915.

Gazetted 15th April 1918. Mentioned in despatches and awarded the Belgium Croix de Guerre but I don't know why. Can anyone tell me how I find out please?

hi actongrumpy have you checked ancestry to see if his service records survived...

lyn

you may already have this but if not i have found his medal card which also states he was entitled to the emblem..not sure what that was but someone else maybe able to help with that...alberts service records do not appear to have survived but i will double check later on..

lyn

albert smith medal card.jpg

Thanks Lynn. I do have his medal card but I haven't heard of the emblem before unless it means Oak Leaves. I have a photo record of his medals - these include the Queens Africa Medal from the Boer War. The mention in the London Gazette doesn't say why he was gazetted as far as I can see.

Back