• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Restaurants In Birmingham 1960s

I can remember two branches of Drucker's, a small one off New Street, and wasn't there a branch in the shopping centre below the station? They used to have very elaborate and alarming-looking cream cakes!
I know that it's a different sort of place now.

Does anyone remember an Indian restaurant on the corner of Smallbrook and the Horse Fair? It was on the opposite corner to Gino's Italian restaurant. It was on the first floor of the building and I don't think it had a street frontage. My brother took me here for my very first curry, and I was immediately hooked. Never went again. If it's been mentioned previously on this thread I haven't clocked it.

By the way, there was a Drucker's on Erdington High Street once upon a time.

G

Alex's in the Great Western arcade in the 1970s. Don't personally remember this place. Viv.
image.jpeg

Birmingham Restaurants early 1960's

Hi Pam, the first Chinese Restaurant I ever went to was called Kam Ling's
it was situated at the top end of Livery Street, near Snow Hill Station, and I think it was 5/6d. for a set lunch. Another early Chinese restaurant was
over Associated Chemists, opposite the Law Courts, but can't recall the name at the moment.
Hi Sylviasayers The Chinese restaurant above the chemists was the Dragons Gate

Hi All,

Just trying to revive this thread. I'm looking for any old pictures of Indian Restaurants in Birmingham, inside or outside. If anyone has any accounts to share, looking for that too for a big exhibition i'm putting together at Birmingham Museum on the history of Birmingham's curry houses

Hi G
Nice to hear from you again i hope you and maria are fine
G, you have got me thinking now on this one i know the place and i can vizulise it now
and you went up the stairs nice thriving place but not very large inside
my brothers and friends and of course myself used to frequent the place regular especialy at week ends
The curries was not bad i surpose in those days, but it take abit of a nose dive in later years
i will try and think of it ,if i cannot i will ring our kid he would recall it
As i said it took a nose dive , so he started to bring in the Belly Dancers at the later period of time
to bring people back it did at first then it died again , cor those were the days ,, G ,
best wishes Alan,, Astonian,,,,,

The one over the road from the Law Courts was the first one I ever visited. I wasn't aware it was over the top of a Chemists shop? and I can't remember the name either. It was perhaps around 1964? maybe someone with a Kelly's from that time might be able to help. I do remember I had Chinese style beef curry with rice, and had trouble eating it all. My only previous taste of curry was from a packet made Vesta Beef Curry & Rice which contained little peices of fruit, apple and I think sultanas. The real thing was so much different. :shock:
I went with my brothers Ronnie & Tony who paid the bill. My mom & dad would not eat what they though of as foriegn muck :lol: . I still eat Chinese curry as opposed to Indian/Asian curries :lol:

The one over the road from the Law Courts was the first one I ever visited. I wasn't aware it was over the top of a Chemists shop? and I can't remember the name either. It was perhaps around 1964? maybe someone with a Kelly's from that time might be able to help. I do remember I had Chinese style beef curry with rice, and had trouble eating it all. My only previous taste of curry was from a packet made Vesta Beef Curry & Rice which contained little peices of fruit, apple and I think sultanas. The real thing was so much different. :shock:
I went with my brothers Ronnie & Tony who paid the bill. My mom & dad would not eat what they though of as foriegn muck :lol: . I still eat Chinese curry as opposed to Indian/Asian curries :lol:
That was the Dragon Gate Restaurant above Associated Chemists

Hi Alan,

try as I might I just cannot remember what that restaurant was called...it was a long, long time ago. I don't think it lasted for very long, either. There were always plenty of Asian restaurants along The Horsefair and Bristol Street, the Shah Bagh (usually referred to slightly differently...) being one of our favourites. Another one we liked was beneath Lewis's - it was a self-service place, and again I can't remember what it was called.

All the best,

Graham

I had my first curry in the shah bagh in the sixties and still love them now. The gate of India was further up the road which was very good. G

Hi Grah
I will try and contact our kid later he was always in there with his mates more than me in fct he was curry mad
liked is booze our kid but i will say he is paying for it now thou
i can see the joint now grah , but like you i just cannot name it
Grah, i am like an old dog with a bone , i will not let go until i am satifyed
Speak soon give my regards to maria ,,Alan ,, Astonian,,

I think the restruant was called The Eastern Moon. I've eaten there a few times. You go upstairs and could sit overlooking the ringway. I know the sign outside was under the windows and almost the whole length of the restruant. It had dark blue background with white writing. Can't recall how good the food was but recall being told to stop laughing in there by the manager. It's amazing what you tolerate when you are young G.

Grea,

your description of the place tallies with my fading memory of it, but the name doesn't set any bells clanging. As I said, I only went there once. Is it still there, would you know?

G

Hi G. I'm not sure if it is still there. I do go into Birmingham often but never find the need to go to that part. The names been bugging me too but eastern moon seems to click but I may be wrong. I'm starting to doubt it too now. G

Hi Jayell

There was a coffee bar under Rowens the bespoke gents outfitters but that was at the corner of New Street and Christchurch Passage where the steps led up to Waterloo Street. That's not the one I had in mind. Did you?

I have wondered for years trying to remember as a little girl in the 40s going up steps from New St to Waterloo St and have never been able to verify this . So it wasn't a figment of my young imagination. Thank You so much for this confirmation.

Although I don't remember myself I have been told this was Birmingham's oldest Indian Restauraunt on the corner of Stafford Street and Coleshill Street.

Brums_first_Indian_restaraunt.jpg
I remember it well . I used to pass it everyday going home from work at the MEB in Dale End in the 50s

Dad went to a place called (I think) La Reserve with his firm. I don't know where it was, though.

maria
It was indeed by the Boldmere Gate of Sutton Park . It was owned by the Dent Family. Saturdays were Cabernet nights. I remember seeing David Berglass there and was called to the stage for him supposibly to levitate me lying on a plank between two chairs.

In the 50's & 60's Kardomah has 3 premises in the city, one at 42a New Street, one at 39 Cannon Street and another at 18 Colmore Row at the entrance to the Great Western Arcade. These photos have been posted before elsewhere on the forum.
I used to go there at lunch time from work to meet friends for coffee at the one in New St. Downstairs it was always refered to as the KD.
Also a good sandwich (grated cheese and pickle) could be bought from Barrows store on Corporation St. A minature Harrods, very high class

Back