• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Scribbans Bakery

Here's photo of scribbans horse drawn vehicles in a horse parade in the 1950's
The horses were L-R Verity,Odelle,Muriel and Regent.

This photo is from a lovely book by Bryan Holden entitled Birmingham's working horses.

Scribbans_Bakery_1906_001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic pic Topsy, we used to chant after the delivery men " Scribans bread, just like lead, eat one piece and ya drop down dead " they didnt like it. Max

great picture Topsy I am sure I would have had one in our house at that time, and a very belated "Happy Birthday" sorry never saw original thread, but well ment.
paul

Re Scribbans's Bakery
In my post Aug 13 2009 I referred to the Scribbans's horse and cart that my Dad used for his deliveries around Edgbaston and Smethwick. I am attaching a photo of a similar horse and cart which was given
to me by local artist Smudge Smith, who had also worked at Scribban's

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the Forum, Terry.

It looks as though you have quoted a recent post (which for reasons unknown has since disappeared) but have omitted to make any comment about it. If you intended to say something on this subject, do please have another go at it!

Chris

Loved the Cherry Genoa slab cake that Scribbans delivered. Most of their biscuits were made by Elkes, was that part of the same group?

I seem to be a bit late joining this but as a lad I did a Saturday with Ken Tromans in Quinton around 1956, We had the Morrison electric van. The firm were in Lodge Road then. We later did the Solihull round with the first walk through van - Mr Scribbans lived in Solihull at that time. I had my own rounds in 1960 in Shard End and Sparkhill with a J2 van, the firm was taken over by the Sunblest group aqnd I used to take a 15cwt van to Nottingham on Sundays with Malcolm Chase in another 15cwt. We also 'swapped' bread and cakes with Bradfords, West Bromwich. who supplied us with the best pineapple creams ever.

I seem to be a bit late joining this but as a lad I did a Saturday with Ken Tromans in Quinton around 1956, We had the Morrison electric van. The firm were in Lodge Road then. We later did the Solihull round with the first walk through van - Mr Scribbans lived in Solihull at that time. I had my own rounds in 1960 in Shard End and Sparkhill with a J2 van, the firm was taken over by the Sunblest group aqnd I used to take a 15cwt van to Nottingham on Sundays with Malcolm Chase in another 15cwt. We also 'swapped' bread and cakes with Bradfords, West Bromwich. who supplied us with the best pineapple creams ever.
My mum used to treat me to a pineapple cream on a Friday when she had done her shopping at the co-op in Bucklands End Lane ,not sure where they came from but they were the best, thanks for the memory

Dont live in uk now, but been over a few times over the years, could never find pineapple creams Greggs used to do them , does anybody make them anymore ¿

thanks carolina....what year was that......i have a local greggs will ask if they still sell them...just fancy one with a cuppa:)

lyn

Back