• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Park

I've placed a few images of the park into the above posts as all images were lost from this thread. The images may differ. If anyone has an image of the drinking fountain in the park, please do post it. Thanks.

Another charming image I came across was a PC of the 1911 Coronation celebration in the park. All the children are in groups with a specific dress theme. And they're all eagerly waiting fir their tea!!! Poor dears. Viv.

image.jpeg

I vaguely remember a large cast iron (I think !) Cup, at least 6 feet high just inside the main gate in 40/50's, I wonder what happened to that. They also had a 'parkie' who really kept the kids under control. I lived in Queens Road quite close to the park so was a regular visitor. Eric

Hi Eric,
Yes i do that recall that stand now you have mentionioned it it was about fifty yards in from the gates
And it was down on your right hand side as you was going in
There was a steel cup chained to it and it was a heavvy cup and chain bolted to it
In the brick work and all along on that side of the pathe i Recall them returfing it because it was a little patchie
And slightly wet through the bad drainage
I seem to recall two strict parkies within my younger days,as we played in the park
Virtualy every night after school one of my old school friend as a kid was a lad named Ian from Bracebridge street
By the pawn shop and the other one was ronald cruchley from upper thomas street next to old mr horton
The builders merchants on the corner of victoria road and upper thomas street
But yes two parkies firstly the one whom always stayed in the hut whatching over everybody
Playing on the witches hat and the sea saw but after they closed the hut down afew years later
They brought a guy in from the resovoir edgbastonand summerfield park
He was a big guy i think is name was Horiss he rode around on his Hercules police bike
Made at Aston he was the old Gaoler from digbeth police station my mother and family used to know him
If played on or near the crown green and he seen you by Aston Hall pathe on the rear side he would shout down to you andif you back chatted to him he would pedal like mad
I do beleive after moving him down to the Aston park from the resser and summerfield park
They brought a nice guy in to summerfield park by a man named mr burns he was a very nice man
He had time for the kids in the area and everybody showed him respect
Best wishes Alan,,,Astonian,,,,

The entrance to Aston Park looking very elegant. Wonder if it's the Head Park Keeper beneath the arches. Viv.

image.jpeg

Nice picture viv,
the old guy stopped in his steps , as said , Oh Dammit,
as he as just missed the old 39 bus again to get home probaly up to victoria road
or any road passing aston cross may be hollond road or beyound
May be he as just chased cheeky kids like we was playing on the green or even peter pan,
Alan,,Astonian,,,,

Interesting to know the date of that excellent post card Vivienne. Astonian, it may have been in the days of the 3X tram !! if it's pre 1950. It's obviously a black and white pic that has been hand tinted as was the custom before colour pics came into being. Eric

Interesting to know the date of that excellent post card Vivienne. Astonian, it may have been in the days of the 3X tram !! if it's pre 1950. It's obviously a black and white pic that has been hand tinted as was the custom before colour pics came into being. Eric
And it seems to have been very professionally done, superb work.

I Eric,
To be quite honest that was the first thing that crossed my mind about the tram, i did ponder whether not
to say the tram as i do recall them down there and i was trying to remember when they changed the tram for thebus
as a nipper i was always in that park in and out that exit and when it changed i seen the bus and so i thought i will put the 39 bus
and some one will correct me , as the old saying eric always go with you gut feeling if in dought
plus i would like to say Eric along with my gutt instings at the first time i seen this photograh the other day
i am sure this was one of the orinignal photos when i first joined on this forum and it was black and white
i have been on this forum for donkeys years far far back longer than ten years
and i think excactly what you have said about the hand painted the black and white and thats the old gentle man
at the gates and i know in my heart and soul i wrote the same script as i have done now about this poise of the man
best wishes Astonian,, Alan,,,

One for you Alan - a view from the other side of the gates showing a passing tram. Afraid no date but looks around early 1900s. Viv.
image.jpeg

Hi Viv
You are a real star and a gem , fantastic picture with the spotting of the tram passing the gates
any idea of the year viv that is a real gem brillient Alan ,, Astonian,,,,

Astonian, I think the 39 bus replaced the 3X tram (a sad day) in 1950 or 1951, no doubt some tram/bus enthusiast will have a more precise date.

An engraving to celebrate the inauguration of the Park by Queen Victoria in June 1858. I take it the 'AV' on the right side of the arch represents Victoria and Albert. But what does the 'CP' or 'PC' represent on the left-hand side ? Viv.

image.jpeg

A Rambler from 1862 describes the Hall and Church....

"The grounds are a pleasant place for a summer stroll, although their novelty and acclusion are gone. Those who can now rambIe over the Hall and grounds so freely should remember that a very few years ago access was a favour very rarely granted, and that many a visitor knocked in vain, when the Hall was the residence of James Watt's son, or still later in private hands.

Too much familiarity should not breed contempt, although the associations of Aston Hall are not as they once were. The pleasantly placed old church, popularly known as the Lover's Haunt and by popular and malicious report said be famous for unhappy marriages, need not detain us now, although its monuments have many points of interest, and some of the gravestones in the churchyard are worthy of special note."

Another Sunday in the park - not much different to post #21 although we all know that the expressway is hiding behind the trees.

Attachments

• WP_20170430_14_45_30_Pro (2).jpg
    WP_20170430_14_45_30_Pro (2).jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 35
One for you Alan - a view from the other side of the gates showing a passing tram. Afraid no date but looks around early 1900s. Viv.
View attachment 113243
If you notice the tram is an open topped tram, more than likely the 3X which open in 1904 by CBT, it was taken over in 1912 by BCT.
This route was suspended 9th September 1939 for duration of the second world war.
The year I think would be between 1904 & 1912

Back