• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Farm Street Hockley

This building interests me at the junction of Farm Street and Villa Street. Was it the Provident Dispensary mentioned earlier in this thread? Difficult to tell as many of the photos are missing.

It looks interesting because of its architecture - church influences? Was it once a church/chapel that was expanded/altered over time? Looking at the rear view shows a mixture of additions to the building, but bits of it still have the church influences. Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Hi viveine
I do believe it was some sort of a meting place for some kind of religion in its early years
but excactly what early period i cannot say, but if my memory serves me correctly
during the possiblitity of forty period it may have been open then as as a big building and drainage company
but i do know if i am correct during the fiftys and sixty it was a huge building and drainage compay
whom sold building materials and mainly toilets of every discription you can think of
and i truly beleive it was a company called Broughtons as i recall farm street where the number eight bus
turns to go to the old Hockley brook and the period when the copper stood in the middle of the junction in his white mack
best wishes,, Alan,,,, Astonian,,,,

Hi viveine
I do believe it was some sort of a meting place for some kind of religion in its early years
but excactly what early period i cannot say, but if my memory serves me correctly
during the possiblitity of forty period it may have been open then as as a big building and drainage company
but i do know if i am correct during the fiftys and sixty it was a huge building and drainage compay
whom sold building materials and mainly toilets of every discription you can think of
and i truly beleive it was a company called Broughtons as i recall farm street where the number eight bus
turns to go to the old Hockley brook and the period when the copper stood in the middle of the junction in his white mack
best wishes,, Alan,,,, Astonian,,,,

I used to order from a builders merchant in Farm St, T&W Brough, Mr Wallace Brough a real gentleman.

This building interests me at the junction of Farm Street and Villa Street. Was it the Provident Dispensary mentioned earlier in this thread? Difficult to tell as many of the photos are missing.

It looks interesting because of its architecture - church influences? Was it once a church/chapel that was expanded/altered over time? Looking at the rear view shows a mixture of additions to the building, but bits of it still have the church influences. Viv.

View attachment 110762 View attachment 110763 View attachment 110764

hi viv...yes it is the peoples dispensary building...its never been a place of worship...during the 1960s it was my local dentist..still a dentists today...well part of it is..hi glassali a photo for you just showing broughs on the leftfarmstreetbroughs.jpg

lyn

farm st dispensary.jpg

Last edited:
thats okay glassall Brought or Broughtons a figure of speech
he had many sorts of loo.s of every discription and colour inside his yards and along side the shop windows
may i had this was one of the original pictures that was taken from the high jacks of our forum
the one we had original was with his chimmney pots and loo,s all along from the corner of farm street
It certainly did not look like as we see it today on the forum
the building as only altered from broughs ownership the brick work when he had it was the original from what ever it was built
thinking back in time as i used to go past there daily and for the very first time in my life on seeing
I the building thought to myself yes it looked like a little school from the 1800 early 1900s
and also it was some kind of a church type building
I Really was a kid with intrest of historic building as i travelled around the city i was not intrested in foot ball
Around the city of birmingham and i went to Ickneild street hockley brook i can recall the building and the out lay of the brook
and the building of hunters road and that bridge across the road and putting the clockin the big building my oldest brother
whom died two years ago worked there
thanks Glassallie best wishes Astonian,,,,

hi carolina thanks for bringing that one to my attention again..i have had it for ages now and meant to try and find out the exact location..just cant make out what the sign on the left says

lyn

Hi Folks, photo of the Provident Dispensing Clinic, Farm Street Hockley attached, apparently the clinic Provided for the needs of the poor, the building dates to 1881 (don't know when the pic was taken). Is that a doll's pram front left? Ah well, I suppose dolls get sick like everyone else!
For a long time I thought Farm street started at Hockley Brook and ended about Burbury Street, when in fact that's probably only about half its real length - can't place this building geographically, more than likely it was turned to other use, at least I hope it wasn't lost - such find architecture. (I'm pretty sure it didn't become Friends Hall).

Regards,
Peg.
Clinic Farm St.jpg

hi peg this is just a look up thread for farm st..if you go to the proper farm st thread there should be a few other pics of the dispensary which is still there on the corner of farm st and villa st....opposite the farm st entrance to the school...part of it has been used as a dentists for many years....i used to go there in the 60s..street view below

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4961104,-1.9111423,3a,75y,329.99h,85.18t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sktoYUhN0Nmj7mAC9Vafv-A!2e0!6s//geo2.ggpht.com/cbk?panoid=ktoYUhN0Nmj7mAC9Vafv-A&output=thumbnail&cb_client=maps_sv.tactile.gps&thumb=2&w=203&h=100&yaw=73.181496&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Last edited:
hi peg this is just a look up thread for farm st..if you go to the proper farm st thread there should be a few other pics of the dispensary which is still there on the corner of farm st and villa st....opposite the farm st entrance to the school...part of it has been used as a dentists for many years....i used to go there in the 60s..street view below

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4961104,-1.9111423,3a,75y,329.99h,85.18t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sktoYUhN0Nmj7mAC9Vafv-A!2e0!6s//geo2.ggpht.com/cbk?panoid=ktoYUhN0Nmj7mAC9Vafv-A&output=thumbnail&cb_client=maps_sv.tactile.gps&thumb=2&w=203&h=100&yaw=73.181496&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
Thanks Lyn, I'm delighted it's still there, not changed much apart from the white-wash.
Regards,
Peg.

i am glad as well peg....far as i can see from my trips down there there are only 4 of the old buildings left standing in farm st...the queens head pub...dispensary..friends hall and the little building next to it all of which are on the same side...

lyn

Lyn, hidden in plain sight - eyes wide shut - I'm so red-faced with embarrassment - I lied when I said I didn't know the building - I only stood by it nearly everyday for almost 5 years watching out for my bus home!
My only excuse: never saw the front from anymore than a yard away so I didn't recognise it.

Regards,
Peg.

no worries peg ...i have always said that as kids we rarely looked up..always in front and on the ground in case we found any money lol

lyn

no worries peg ...i have always said that as kids we rarely looked up..always in front and on the ground in case we found any money lol

lyn

Very true Lyn, I was once told it's better to be born lucky than clever - i'd have settled for either!

regards,
Peg.

Where would 106 Farm Street have been? Thats where my 2 x great grandad Frank Jones lived and from where his sons Cain and Abel (really) Jones ran their dairy business from eventually selling out to Cattell Bros (not sure when).

As all the houses in that row had been demolished before the map I have showing numbering, this is difficult. However I can say it must have been one of the houses behind the red line on this map. On might guess it was th eone on the far left. by the space and room for horses etc, but cannot say that definitely.

map c 1905 showing about where  no 106 Farm st was.jpg

Horses were in a livery stables at the end of Farm Street I think ... my grandad remembered a fire there in the 20s when he had to get the horses out. We think he was reliving it when he died because he was very distressed and shouting fire.

John thank you so much for taking the time to find these for me. I know David retired in 1900, probably because of ill health and he moved to no 229 Farm Street. In 1901 he is living there with his second wife Rhoda (his first wife Sarah died) and his granddaughter Winifred Westwood listed as adopted child. He died aged 70 in Oct 1901.
I looked up Martin Hum he was not related and a German subject well they make fantastic bread and cakes!
I have also had a look for Charles Jennings you posted but as yet I can't find a connection.
David had a son also named David, I can't find what happened to him. I wonder if he was in the Bakery or provisions trade?

Only this afternoon, I was doing some research on my maternal grandmother (Clara Louisa Farrell), and her family, and found her birth certificate which shows her home, where she was born, as 229, Farm St., in 1898. The family, parents Louisa Mary (nee Hollins) and Thomas Samuel Farrell then appear to be living in Lennox St., along with their second daughter, May, in the 1901 census. The 2 families must have known one another!