• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pan Statue Aston Hall

Has it been restored now? As this thread was started in 2011, I feel that I am a bit late in sending this photo from 1965 showing my wife & Bruce the dog.

Attachments

• 1965.jpg
    1965.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 40
Banjo
You and your good lady wife plus the dog are super stars in my eyes
And glad you came to the rescue , now the sixty four dollar question is what condition is peter in
And where is He ,
You have made me an happy man today in seeing it on here
best wishes Astonian,, Alan,,,

So we know that Pan was complete until at least 1965 don't we? He was then vandalised (don't know when). By about 2014, see post #24, he had been restored to his full glory but now his head is missing again and his flute / pipes are damaged too. I went along last Tuesday to take a photo. Still traces of paint.
The PC shows the back of Aston Hall, 1960's ? but doesn't include Pan. The pots were still there on Tuesday though.

Attachments

• Pan 2.jpg
    Pan 2.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Rear Garden Aston Hall.jpg
    Rear Garden Aston Hall.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 30
Thanks Lady P. Such a pity these things are vandalised. And why this one in particular? Maybe the restoration wasn't vandal-proof. Restoring a heavy head onto a statue must be a difficult process.

Nice to hear Bloye's vases are still there. Viv.

I cannot see any point restoring/repairing it yet again unless it is protected by iron railings or similar, in a sense that defeats the object but what else can you do, its the age we live in I'm sad to say. I am baffled by why they do it. Eric

So we know that Pan was complete until at least 1965 don't we? He was then vandalised (don't know when). By about 2014, see post #24, he had been restored to his full glory but now his head is missing again and his flute / pipes are damaged too. I went along last Tuesday to take a photo. Still traces of paint.
The PC shows the back of Aston Hall, 1960's ? but doesn't include Pan. The pots were still there on Tuesday though.

Pan was still complete into the mid 1980's when I took my then young children to see where I played as a child and a visit to Aston Hall.....

HI Ladypen
It makes me feel discussed and saddend to see this great park and the lawnes in such dire straits
As one as just said it the times of our day now such yobbish behaviour of louts
Roaming through the park doing such things
When i a todderla he would run across the green up to the pan, just have a quick paddle
before parkie came around on his bike but even before horris took over the previous parkie
Always concentrated on those two well groom and cut lawns
they was crown greens very few kids everdashed across to pan to paddle neither did parents of any child would dare to
run across those sacred pitches
And the worse things the council came out with was to remove all securit railing from around the park
for all bimbos to roam in there and do what ever they do
Well what can we do ,not alot i surpose we cannot just keep paying out money rebuilding it
if you put railing around it they would not stop, is there a curater on site or what
bring pan and put in on the front lawn of the house with railing around it may be
in view of the reception if there is any security or curatore to do regular vistits on checking
spot light at night and may be a security camers that would preseve him for future visitors

Astonian,,,,, Alan,,,,,,

Astonian, I know what the council would say to your suggestions (assuming they would reply at all) 'We can't afford it'. Eric

A magic lantern slide claiming to be from around 1910. Bloye's Pan Fountain/Statue AND Bloye's two urns, all captured in one view! However, Pan wasn't there until 1934 and the urns weren't in place until 1937 so I think the slide must be incorrectly dated.

Also, look closely and you'll see the two figures set into the Hall's walls. Viv.

image.jpeg

Another mystery. This image claims to be 1938 but no Pan! But we have the two urns in place (installed in 1937). So either the dates are wrong, Pan was installed after 1934 or he was removed for a while. It could therefore suggest the urns were in place before Pan was installed. Viv.

image.jpeg

Viv, wasn't Pan just slightly further over to the left? I think I can just see the beginning of the surroundings. Perhaps it's the angle of the photo? We were there yesterday and will probably go again fairly soon. I will try to re-create this picture and see if I can get the urns and miss Pan. If not we'll know he had been removed for some reason.

That's true dedication Lady P, thanks! Be interesting to see what a different angle produces. Viv.

Taken from the air in May 1934......not the best photograph.....but it is Aston Park and the unveiling of Pan ? maybe ....

Attachments

• 2-1-1.jpg
    2-1-1.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 28
Yes looks very much like it Aston Lad. Thanks. Think Lady P has hit the nail on the head, as she says Pan's probably just out of shot of the photographer in the view in post #44.

Also looks to me that the two urns are in place too in 1934. Viv.

Back