• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston Park

I Eric,
To be quite honest that was the first thing that crossed my mind about the tram, i did ponder whether not
to say the tram as i do recall them down there and i was trying to remember when they changed the tram for thebus
as a nipper i was always in that park in and out that exit and when it changed i seen the bus and so i thought i will put the 39 bus
and some one will correct me , as the old saying eric always go with you gut feeling if in dought
plus i would like to say Eric along with my gutt instings at the first time i seen this photograh the other day
i am sure this was one of the orinignal photos when i first joined on this forum and it was black and white
i have been on this forum for donkeys years far far back longer than ten years
and i think excactly what you have said about the hand painted the black and white and thats the old gentle man
at the gates and i know in my heart and soul i wrote the same script as i have done now about this poise of the man
best wishes Astonian,, Alan,,,

One for you Alan - a view from the other side of the gates showing a passing tram. Afraid no date but looks around early 1900s. Viv.
image.jpeg

Hi Viv
You are a real star and a gem , fantastic picture with the spotting of the tram passing the gates
any idea of the year viv that is a real gem brillient Alan ,, Astonian,,,,

Astonian, I think the 39 bus replaced the 3X tram (a sad day) in 1950 or 1951, no doubt some tram/bus enthusiast will have a more precise date.

An engraving to celebrate the inauguration of the Park by Queen Victoria in June 1858. I take it the 'AV' on the right side of the arch represents Victoria and Albert. But what does the 'CP' or 'PC' represent on the left-hand side ? Viv.

image.jpeg

A Rambler from 1862 describes the Hall and Church....

"The grounds are a pleasant place for a summer stroll, although their novelty and acclusion are gone. Those who can now rambIe over the Hall and grounds so freely should remember that a very few years ago access was a favour very rarely granted, and that many a visitor knocked in vain, when the Hall was the residence of James Watt's son, or still later in private hands.

Too much familiarity should not breed contempt, although the associations of Aston Hall are not as they once were. The pleasantly placed old church, popularly known as the Lover's Haunt and by popular and malicious report said be famous for unhappy marriages, need not detain us now, although its monuments have many points of interest, and some of the gravestones in the churchyard are worthy of special note."

Another Sunday in the park - not much different to post #21 although we all know that the expressway is hiding behind the trees.

Attachments

• WP_20170430_14_45_30_Pro (2).jpg
    WP_20170430_14_45_30_Pro (2).jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 35
One for you Alan - a view from the other side of the gates showing a passing tram. Afraid no date but looks around early 1900s. Viv.
View attachment 113243
If you notice the tram is an open topped tram, more than likely the 3X which open in 1904 by CBT, it was taken over in 1912 by BCT.
This route was suspended 9th September 1939 for duration of the second world war.
The year I think would be between 1904 & 1912

My post 31 above Ray suggests, from my archives, that the 3 tram route was the one disbanded in September 1939. The 3x continued until abandonment in 1949.

Saw a painting of Aston Hall at Arbury Hall in Warwickshire (sorry no photos as not allowed to take photos inside the house).

The guide says in the picture shows land where Spaghetti Junction and the Villa Park car park are now!

Not sure if the picture is online anywhere (it was a private collection)

A souvenir booklet, badge and poster from the Pageant of Birmingham in Aston Park in 1938. Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Hi viv
first of all thanks for those brillient photos, and i would like to ask you or any other member of the forum
what is todays situation regarding parking within the park of Aston park ground I kow years ago it was expected andknowing what i have seen of the change especially by queens road
and the junction of what was old church lane the area looks abit dodgy, i hope that expression has not offended anybody as i intend to get there week end providing the weather is fine
Best wishes Alan,,Astonian,,,,

Alan ....I took a visit on Easter Tuesday , you can park your car in the park facing the hall, you enter the park via the entrance facing Aston Church.....

I do remember this as a permanent layout for cycling. It had traffic lights and zebra crossing etc. I think you could hire a bike and have a go round it.

My Grandad took my 2 sisters and I to see that Balloon when we visited them in Queens Road, we visited them every week during the war. We lived in Shirley at the time. Eric

Octogenarians on the bowling green steps. The bearded man in the centre bottom row must have been born in the late 1830's. As a young boy he most probably saw the inauguration of the park and Queen Victoria in 1858.Viv.

image.jpeg

Was trying to make out the building(s) in the background of post #46. Any ideas ? Viv.

image.jpeg

1900075_495059283937866_286739017_n[1].jpg It looks like the Hall to me as well....

Cannot remember where I got this photo from and I am also not to sure if this group of men are the same ....

Last edited:
Back