• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

malt shovel smith st hockley

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks would anyone have a pic of this pub please...im sure i had one but cant seem to locate it

many thanks

lyn

Lyn

I have no knowledge of this pub, but as Smith St was not a very big street I was wondering if this photo could in fact be the Malt Shovel as I wouldn't have thought there were many pubs in Smith St. This pub is tagged Smith Street Hockley c1912 but there is no name.

Attachments

• Hockley Smith St 1912.JPG
    Hockley Smith St 1912.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 39
phil snap i have just found that pic in my files....again no name to pub but im just wondering if we could narrow it down by having a map of smith st showing no 103 as that is the number i have been given for the malt shovel...if there is an entry to the left of the pub i would think that could solve it...
cant quite make out the landlords name above the door
thanks phil

lyn

Lyn

As far as I can make out 103 was next door to the school, how long ago was it a pub, because I went back to 1903 before I found it even listed as a beer retailer. I think the pub in the photo has more chance of being the Queens Head on the corner of Hockley Street.

phil i agree with you i think its the queen head...the malt shovel was listed in kellys 1880 at 103 as beer retailer but a marriage cert for the same year lists it as the malt shovel...thanks phil...actually if you go to the smith st thread there is a pic dated 1961 and you can see the school but no pub im afraid...demo had started by then..

lyn

Last edited:
I have my great grandfather, David Gardner, listed on the 1881 census as being a publican his address was 103 Smith Street and I'm not sure where I got the information from but I've always believed it was The Malt Shovel. I've searched for photos but not found any.

smith st malt shovel 1958 no 103.jpg hi scarlet..in 2015 i posted some photos of smith st hockley that i found at the library including one of the malt shovel..so if you go to the smith st hockley thread they will be there but i will post the one of the pub on this thread

lyn

Last edited:
The 1891 census confirms that no 103 was called the Malt shovel. It disappears from Kellys between the 1912 & 1913 editions

The 1891 census confirms that no 103 was called the Malt shovel. It disappears from Kellys between the 1912 & 1913 editions
Do you know who was at the Malt Shovel in 1891 mikejee, I lost track of my great grandfather for that year, my great grandmother died and all the children had married and gone their own ways by then.

Back