• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Electric Trams

I would suggest this photo was actually taken in 1950, when the Washwood Heath and Alum Rock routes were converted to bus. Trams like 382 above that were being kept and transferred to other depots (to replace older stock) were fitted with normal trolley poles in place of the Bow Collectors normally fitted to the Washwood Heath depot fleet.
Washwood Heath and Alum Rock tram replacement notice.jpg

A No 6 Perry Barr tram in Martineau Street
index.php

(only visible if logged in)
from

Men only caught in this 1940s pic, where are the women ?
This photo brings back many old memories for me because as a youngster I often caught the No 6 tram in Martineau St and if the weather was fine I'd sit on the open balcony of the tram and hear the wheels screeching as the tram made the sharp right turn into Corporation St.
Across the road is Cherry St which had two of my favourite shops ... 'Grenvilles' and the 'Model Aerodrome'. Even the advert on the tram 'Everybody's' reminds me that I read it once or twice but can't remember what was in it.

The #6 tram on its journey along High Street Aston, just passing the Waggon and Horses on the left. Much earlier than the 1940s photo #280. Viv.

image.jpeg

Tram 347 with no one in it parked in Miller Street.
miller1.jpg
Tram 664? also parked in Miller Street c1941. It's windows may have been damaged when the Depot was bombed and temporary repairs are in place. White blinds on the upper part of the windows of the houses compared to the windows in the first pic.
miller2.jpg

I suspect that 347 might have gone the wrong way on the points because it is an odd place to stop. The trolley pole shows that the tram is coming towards the photographer but, if so, the tram would be running 'wrong road'. The second picture at exactly the same place is running away from the photographer and is 'right road'.

This pic is dated 3rd Sept 1950 and shows tramcar 551 standing at a quiet looking Rednal terminus.
Rednal3_9_1950.jpg

Hi Old mowhawk
I have sorted out a couple of old trams i thought you may like to see around corporation street area

Attachments

• ScanImage001.jpg
    ScanImage001.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 28
  • ScanImage002.jpg
    ScanImage002.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 28
Seeing images like this brings back very strong memories of splashing around in sludge for weeks after that light and fresh snow had first fallen on our pavements. It looked so magical when it first fell but after a week or so it turned to rock solid ice - then, worse still - it froze over several times to form the perfect skating rink. Oh happy days !!! Viv.

Two trams in Northfield.
index.php

(linked forum pic from https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...ur-old-street-pics.41947/page-104#post-588508 only visible if logged in)
Thank goodness no one from Health and Safety is looking at this phot0, just look at the risks and problems. All those people in the middle of the road to get on the tram, the height of those steps off the road, the motor cyclist with no helmet or proper clothing or visor, the car parked on the wrong side of the road and look how near to the kerb that child is standing. As for the motorman having to stand to drive his tram what were the union thinking of? Thank goodness it was not one of the older open balcony trams that those young lads are sitting at the front of....and as for the things that cannot be seen, those steep metal stairs front and back including the ones that come down to where the driver stands. What about those seats that can be moved back and forth so that you can face the direction of travel very dangerous.
On a serious note why do pictures of trams and there are some superb ones throughout this forum look so superior to bus pictures? Judging from the vehicles this is late 40s, early 50s...keep them coming please

Bob Davis

Thank goodness no one from Health and Safety is looking at this phot0, just look at the risks and problems. All those people in the middle of the road to get on the tram, the height of those steps off the road, the motor cyclist with no helmet or proper clothing or visor, the car parked on the wrong side of the road and look how near to the kerb that child is standing. As for the motorman having to stand to drive his tram what were the union thinking of? Thank goodness it was not one of the older open balcony trams that those young lads are sitting at the front of....and as for the things that cannot be seen, those steep metal stairs front and back including the ones that come down to where the driver stands. What about those seats that can be moved back and forth so that you can face the direction of travel very dangerous.
On a serious note why do pictures of trams and there are some superb ones throughout this forum look so superior to bus pictures? Judging from the vehicles this is late 40s, early 50s...keep them coming please
Bob Davis
Hi Bob, the motorman had to stand because of the layout of the controls. In the pic below his right hand is on the brake wheel which had to be turned to apply the brakes, also when the tram returned in the other direction his driving position became the passenger entrance, notice how close he is to the stairs. He is also open to the weather which was not bad on the day of this pic..
oldmohawk
Image is from https://www.robertdarlaston.co.uk/trams.htm
image137.jpg

You can tell a Birmingham immediately in a black and white photo because the lower right hand window of the cab has a metal plate rather than glass. This is because Birmingham trams were narrower than standard as they ran on 3'6" narrow gauge tracks. There was therefore insufficient clearance for the driver to turn the brake handle so a bulge was shaped into the metal plate to allow the drivers hand to turn the brake wheel.

Hi Bob, the motorman had to stand because of the layout of the controls. In the pic below his right hand is on the brake wheel which had to be turned to apply the brakes, also when the tram returned in the other direction his driving position became the passenger entrance, notice how close he is to the stairs. He is also open to the weather which was not bad on the day of this pic..
oldmohawk
Image is from https://www.robertdarlaston.co.uk/trams.htm
View attachment 113213
Old Mohawk. Very many thanks, am I right in thinking that sometimes in bad weather they had a half canvs sheet across the bottom of the doorway? I do remember on the 78 when I got off at Streetly Road terminus, reversing the seats and opening the door over the drivers side and coming down that way and on more than one occasion being allowed to put the pole in the position to go back to town. I found most motormen and their conductors/esses very friendly and willing on the old 78 route. I have worked out a risk assessment and method staement

Old Mohawk. Very many thanks, am I right in thinking that sometimes in bad weather they had a half canvs sheet across the bottom of the doorway? I do remember on the 78 when I got off at Streetly Road terminus, reversing the seats and opening the door over the drivers side and coming down that way and on more than one occasion being allowed to put the pole in the position to go back to town. I found most motormen and their conductors/esses very friendly and willing on the old 78 route. I have worked out a risk assessment and method staement
It should read statement and would only suggest at this time that it includes full hi vis, disclaimers and there is more.
Bob

You can tell a Birmingham immediately in a black and white photo because the lower right hand window of the cab has a metal plate rather than glass. This is because Birmingham trams were narrower than standard as they ran on 3'6" narrow gauge tracks. There was therefore insufficient clearance for the driver to turn the brake handle so a bulge was shaped into the metal plate to allow the drivers hand to turn the brake wheel.
Interesting, I had never noticed that panel bulge and it is shown in these images from the https://www.robertdarlaston.co.uk/trams.htm website. Looking at these pics, I think driver comfort was never considered.
Image1.jpg

It should read statement and would only suggest at this time that it includes full hi vis, disclaimers and there is more.
Bob
Hi Bob, I never remember seeing the canvas sheets but I do remember the drivers wearing very heavy macs. By the way you can always use the 'edit' feature to change content in your posts.

I rode on many Birmingham trams when they were operational - routes 32, 33, 36, 37, 42, 70, 71 - as will be seen these were mainly southern routes. However I did not take notes of the car numbers. But, without doubt I can say I have been on car 395. When I visited the city in the early 1960's, to introduce my wife to those of my relatives living there, I visited the Science Museum in Newhall Street where car 395 was at that time. It was good to hear the sound recording which were part of the exhibit. It is wonderful that one car of Birminghams fleet still exists: a shame that no trolley bus does.

Hi Guys
Here is a couple of trams for the guys whom like there trams
please note the guy running to beat the tram to get home

Attachments

• scan1.jpg
    scan1.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 63
  • ScanImage003.jpg
    ScanImage003.jpg
    598.7 KB · Views: 62
Nice old pictures.
The pic with the chap running shows Edmund Street (before 1939 when buses took over). The 26 route pic does say Oxhill Road, so no prizes there as the 26 did go there. :D
Others may place the Yardley pic from the drapers shop and the last pic is Camp Hill where the traam ras just passed beneath the railway arch.

Birmingham Road, West Bromwich, very near the Albion ground. The only section of four tracked road on the Birmingham and Black Country tramways network, which along with a nearby former 'company' tram depot was used for parking football special service cars. The number 23 was used for services terminating at 'Albion'.
The Albion depot, after later use as a factory, was dismantled and rebuilt at the Black Country Living Museum at Dudley as their tram depot, seen below.Albion Depot, BCLM.jpg

Oldmohawk's photo of the tram in Erdington High street post 297 is puzzling me? The post on the other side of the road is clearly holding the power cable (I can see 2) over the footpath?Now I sure the tram didn't run down the path? Can someone enlighten me.

Back