• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

House that Jack Built

If the date on this picture is correct it must be one of the last ever taken of THE HOUSE THAT JACK BUILT.moss

Attachments

• Newtown Row.Aston.The house that Jack built..jpg
    Newtown Row.Aston.The house that Jack built..jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 164
I would say that the date is correct and it was probably one of the last photo's before they pulled it down, as a kiddie growing up in that area I spent many hours playing in that shop, and some of the others along the row.....

If the date on this picture is correct it must be one of the last ever taken of THE HOUSE THAT JACK BUILT.moss

how nice to see old pic of house of jack built .i used to go in it a lot in the 60s .my mom would send me down to it to get smokey grey nylons

nice to see others who can go back to the days of the old aston .re house of jack built loved that shop back in the 60s good old days pity its all gone

my mum worked in the house that jack built she has fond memories....I'll defiantly show her this page. She also worked in Timpsons

i spent hours not money in that shop. i loved having a mooch around. and the smell. of firelighters and parafine.. i am such a geek. must buy a sunray lamp.

woof j i agree with you the shops back then were great...i used to get the no 8 bus from nursery road to a shop just up from the bartons arms to buy my tights..the shop had a wooden step and the colour of tights i always bought was american tan...strange how certain memories stay with us

lyn

Last edited:
woof j i agree with you the shops back then were great...i used to get the no 8 bus from nursery road to a shop just up from the bartons arms to buy my tights..the shop had a wooden step and the colour of tights was always american tan...strange how certain memories stay with us

lyn

"i used to get the no 8 bus"....did you ever notice any cascading windows on the way?

Was the House that Jack Built I used to go in with my Gran and Mom it was wooden floored if my memory serves me well it had a rickety old ecscolater and a very strange smell Gran said if you can't get it here it won't be any where else. As I had an Uncle Jack he built this place I must have been 5 or 6 at the time

Was the House that Jack Built I used to go in with my Gran and Mom it was wooden floored if my memory serves me well it had a rickety old ecscolater and a very strange smell Gran said if you can't get it here it won't be any where else. As I had an Uncle Jack he built this place I must have been 5 or 6 at the time
if only we could go back in time i love it

woof j i agree with you the shops back then were great...i used to get the no 8 bus from nursery road to a shop just up from the bartons arms to buy my tights..the shop had a wooden step and the colour of tights i always bought was american tan...strange how certain memories stay with us

lyn
"i used to get the no 8 bus"....did you ever notice any cascading windows on the way?
good old time them loved that shop nice to see others who went in it
hard times back then but good times

My wife says there was a haberdashery called "Sheila's" next door to Burlington Hall. This may have been the shop Lyn was referring to. Just up from Whitehead Rd was Davis's clothes shop which was three shops joined together. Each shop section had wooden steps between them.

I only have very vague memories of this place as it went when I was still quite young but it is lovely to see some frontage shots of it. I can just about remember tagging along with my mother and getting very excited every time she could be persuaded to go inside Jack Built, as she called it, whether she needed anything from there or not. It was like an adventure playground for us kids. I can just about remember the big staircase in the middle of the floor and the piles of plates and crockery all around it and sometimes on the lower steps as well. No wonder mum was a bit worried about letting us in there. It was by far our favourite shop. Grocers and butchers were boring but there was always lots of things to explore in THTJB.

I remember going in the shop it had wooden creaky floors Gran said if you can't get what you want from there its not anywhere. Was that the shop with the escalator that had wooden slates as treads and it used to wobble quite aa bit or was that the Bee Hive in town

I remember the house that Jack built had my 1st pair of cinderella 'high heels' glittery shoes with 2 straps of elastic across the feet I thought I was so grown up , at 5 or 6 you would ! I also went to cowper St school we lived in back to back houses in Bridge St West opposite the police station, no inside toilet, only cold water tap no kitchen just a sink with the cellar steps behind you, my mom and dad raised 4 of us there, 1 bedroom and 1 attic but I loved it very happy memories never had much but we were happy

I remember the house that Jack built had my 1st pair of cinderella 'high heels' glittery shoes with 2 straps of elastic across the feet I thought I was so grown up , at 5 or 6 you would ! I also went to cowper St school we lived in back to back houses in Bridge St West opposite the police station, no inside toilet, only cold water tap no kitchen just a sink with the cellar steps behind you, my mom and dad raised 4 of us there, 1 bedroom and 1 attic but I loved it very happy memories never had much but we were happy
lovely memories...thanks

lyn

I too had a pair of Cinderella pink plastic glittery shoes! They didn’t last very long did they? The elastic snapped after a few wears!
I was desperate for high heels. One of our neighbours Mrs Fox had a granddaughter named Pam. Pam gave me two pairs of her old stilettos. They were size 3. Miles too big for me but I loved the sound they made as I clip clopped up and down the entry!

i remember my sis having a pair of high heels, dad was not impressed with all the little dent in the oilcloth they made:(

i remember my sis having a pair of high heels, dad was not impressed with all the little dent in the oilcloth they made:(
Aston Hall used to give out rubber caps to stick on stiletto heels to save damaging the floors

Back