• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pitmaston Road School, Hall Green

jule

proper brummie kid
I am looking for a couple of my moms old shcool friends, If anyone knows them or you are on here yourself let me know please. Lady calld Dot Frogget who used to live in Seven rd Hall Green off Gospel Oak rd. Dot also used to work at Goodmans on Robin Hood Lane i believe. Also a lady called Christine Bromwall who lived in Pitmastion Rd, Hall Green, Christine married a man called Len. This was a lot of years ago. Would be grateful if anyone can help. Thank you.

Pitmaston School in 1934 - May Festival. Viv.

image.jpeg

And a short potted history from the National Archives records.

"Pitmaston Road Council School opened in 1931 although initially it appears to have been called Bushmore Farm Council School. It initially accommodated infants only in temporary buildings. Permanent buildings opened in 1932, the school comprising three departments for senior boys, senior girls and junior and infant children. The senior departments became separate schools in 1945. The name of the school changed in 1954 and it closed in 1958".

Vivienne 14, looking at this picture reminded me that I had been sent one of the Pitmaston May Festival 1933. It was sent by my wife's cousin in Australia. Not sure whether the same children were in both, I will have to contact her to see whether she has any objections to me posting it as it showed her late Mother when a little girl.

Be lovely to see the photo if she agrees Reddi. I love the faces of the children, most of them very animated and enjoying themselves. Probably a welcome change to the run-of-the-mill school day. Viv.

Vivienne14, as promised I have been in contact with my wife's Australian cousin and she is happy for me to post her late Mothers School photo. The quality is not as good as the 1934 one previously seen, but given it has passed through countless children's fingers (the use of a pencil as well) and traveled all the way to Australia by ship it has not done to bad. It looks as though in 1933 the subject of the May Festival was Marriage, complete with a "Vicar". Her Mother was one of the "Bridesmaids"Pitmaston May Festival 1933.jpg

That's smashing Reddi. Do thank your wife's cousin. The planning for this May Festival group must have been very good. Each bridesmaid has the exact same dress and hat. Even the posy of flowers each bridesmaid is holding are the same. A very convincing marriage party but in miniature. Love the vicar. Whoever the teacher was responsible for the Festival (and I presume it was a female teacher!) they did a very good job here. Viv.

Last edited:
does anyone remember my dad he went to pitmaston his name was john tustin i think it would have been the 40's ?

View attachment 113160

"Pitmaston Road Council School opened in 1931 although initially it appears to have been called Bushmore Farm Council School. It initially accommodated infants only in temporary buildings. Permanent buildings opened in 1932, the school comprising three departments for senior boys, senior girls and junior and infant children. The senior departments became separate schools in 1945. The name of the school changed in 1954 and it closed in 1958".
I was amazed to see this photo and the one below. I have a similar photo of The Pitmaston May Festival 1934. My aunt is the little girl on the back row on the right and my late father, Louis Mann is the boy below the girl top left.dad at Pitmaston.jpg

The puppets (actually the are Marionettes) were the idea of Mr. Rothera, the teacher of class 4:1 for Christmas 1950. My life-long pals John Taviner and Fred Raphael (now sadly both deceased) helped make the scenery.

I did not get on at all with Mr. Rothera - he was obsessed with football and physical training - of which I had no inspirations or inclination whatsoever. So much so that when it came to school leaving, he wrote on my leaving certificate " a boy who will do well under supervision". So I waited until playtime and the classroom was empty, and nicked a blank cetificate from his desk and wrote my own!

Later, and after we had left school in 1951, Fred and I formed Pitmaston Old Boys Club, but it dwindled out after about six months or so - probably because we were all expanding into more worldly interests. Fred and John and I all remained good friends up until their passing - Fred became a self-employed accountant, and John and I became motor mechanics.

Among our exploits, John and I raced an M.G at Silverstone (and managed to turn it over coming into Woodcote Corner!) Later, John set up as a self-employed mechanic, whilst I continued my education at night school and day college to obtain formal qualifications, and eventually became an expert witness on road transport and mechanical engineering in the civil and criminal courts. This must have inspired my daughter - who is now a judge.

The head master was Mr. Norwell (for which I now realise was most irrevent) was nick-named "porky norwell", and "Hoppy" Morris was the science teacher. One trick I used to play on him was that as soon as I learned the theme of what our leassons were to be, I'd go straight to Accocks Green library and read up on the subject - therefore astounding him with my "knowledge" in the following lessons. (Yes, Mr. Morris - I now confess it was me who 75 years ago secretly swapped the lime water for tap water so it did not turn milky when you blew CO2 through it, and the class all fell about laughing!).

Mr. Eaton and Mr. Faulkener taught us woodwook, and Mr. Gibson taught metalwork, the latter of which (plus my dad buying me a Meccano set) must have set me on the course to become a mechanical engineer.

Other teachers I remember were Mr. Harlow, Mr.Major, Mr. Harris, Mr. Kagin and "daddy" Allen. I also recall how smartly they dressed and how dedicated they were to their role as our teachers - especially Mr. Harris - who for the last hour every Friday afternoon would sit on the edge of his desk and say "Well, what shall we all talk about lads"?

Thinking back, they were happly yet simple days, for is in not true that in old-age, it is the smallest memories which become the most precious?

And I'm now 87!

Last edited:
I was amazed to see this photo and the one below. I have a similar photo of The Pitmaston May Festival 1934. My aunt is the little girl on the back row on the right and my late father, Louis Mann is the boy below the girl top left.View attachment 152985
Grandma
Do you happen to know the names of any of the other "actors" by any remote chance, since my mother went to Pitmaston road school at that time?

View attachment 113160

Interesting statement that the school closed in1958.A school friend of mine attended this school until 1967 when he left to start his working life.

NoddKD

Back